Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 18:22   #1
WWV

Ok, What about Bali 4.5?

I see the post on the 4.0 but wondering opinions on the 4.5 non-fly bridge version.

Seems to fall in line with most the other mid 40's??? And doesn't have that garage door that most seem to not like.

Opinions?

Out ofTHE ORDINARY SPECIFICATIONS

USE ALL THE SUPERLATIVES THAT YOU LIKE

An unrivalled level of self-sufficiency in its class, sail area to light displacement the highest in its class, standard or FLYBRIDGE helm station, “square-topped” mainsail or standard, 2, 3 and 4 cabin versions, OPEN Space concept,…

Conception Olivier PONCIN
Naval Architect Xavier FAŸ
Interior design Hervé COUEDEL
Overall length 45 ft - 13,6 m
Beam 24,32 ft - 7,42 m
Water line length 42,65 ft - 13 m
Draft 4,00 ft - 1,22 m
Light displacement 11,8 t
Maximum displacement 16,4 t
Up wind sail area 1205 sq ft - 112 m²
Mainsail area 775 sq ft - 72 m²
Self-tacking solent 419,7 sq ft - 39 m²
Fresh Water 211 us gal
Fuel 211 us gal
Engines 2 X 40 hp ou 2 X 50 hp
CE CAT : A - 12 persons Made in France
WWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 18:33   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: Ok, What about Bali 4.5?

They all flip in 50 knots and everybody dies.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 19:13   #3
WWV

So all mid 40 ft catamarans in 50 kt winds will flip???

Anyways....
Old 07-08-2016, 19:26   #4

Certain death . .http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-170475.html

Flip and die, or get a mono and capsize/sink, take your pick.

Save your money and buy a new couch. Watch Jacques Cousteau videos if you really need the sea.
Old 07-08-2016, 20:54   #5
WWV

Well golly geewiz, thanks for reading and putting so much thought into your replies Poseidon
Old 08-08-2016, 08:50   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450S

I have spent some time looking at the Bali 4.5 and frankly I don't trust it in terms of safety and sailing performance. I haven't sailed one so my opinion is only based on other designs I am considering and common sense. Only time will tell, if people start cruising these around the world with good results in all conditions then that will be the proof point. I just don't want to be the one out there proving it. One point, there are some really good features on the Bali that I hope other manufactures will take note of such as the some of the storage features and drop down stern platform.
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:20   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Certain death . .http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-170475.html

Flip and die, or get a mono and capsize/sink, take your pick.

Save your money and buy a new couch. Watch Jacques Cousteau videos if you really need the sea.
When I see replies like this one, especially from a member who has posted over 600 times, I wonder...
  1. Are they having a bad day?
  2. Were all 600 comments as snarky?
  3. Did they try at humor and failed?
  4. Perhaps they are frustrated over something else and are taking it out on the forum?

For a generally pleasant forum with nice contributors, what causes people to get so snarky?
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:15   #8
WWV

Agreed and thanks...

Look forward to more opinions on this particular boat. Most particularly as a live-aboard and durability of putting it through it's paces... With the layout on the 4.5 being similar to the other mid-40 cats (as opposed to 4.0 and 4.3), I will be very interested in how these boats perform as more and more hit the market. The 4.0 and 4.3 with the forward galley and swing up door don't appear to fit my needs/wants so I'm concentrating on the 4.5 for this particular discussion.

With all disclosure, I am relatively new to sailing(as I'm sure many surmised). I have inbound waterway sailing certs, 35+ years of motor experience in 65'+ houseboats on Lake Powell, and then have owned ski boats/jet boats forever.

Be that as it may, everyone has to start somewhere. I am reading everything I can to educate myself on what I think to be my retirement plan in a couple of years. Live-aboard for few years getting the feel and training/experience for sailing/repairing a boat of this size and then if still in relatively good health, seeing where the winds take me...If that is just coastal, fine. But I highly suspect that my personality will say, let's start crossing some oceans :-) And yes, I realize this is the dream of many tire kickers that I've ran into at boat shows in Annapolis among others. I tend to think I will pull it off... :-D I intend to charter and test as many as I can. I will do my best to factory tours, especially if buying new. Once narrowing down the specs I'm looking for and checking off as many of the needs/wants that I can, from what I'm reading, once you step aboard the "one", you'll know it....

But back to the Bali 4.5....
The solid fore deck seems to be the biggest "I wouldn't" that I hear in forums but it also occurs to me that Catana wouldn't put out "junk" or something unsafe and risk their reputation and livelihood? Unless, of course, they are saying, "This boat is strictly for charter/coastal/Island hopping and we don't recommend ocean crossings". From a common sense perspective, it seems to reason that all the newer production mid-40ft Cats would be relatively safe for ocean crossings if outfitted correctly and proper precautions taken as you would in ANY boat preparing for such journeys. In this day and age and with the popularity of cats only growing, I can't imagine builders such Leopard, Lagoon, Catana/Bali, FP not doing a cajillion ;-) computer simulations and tests. As I learn more about displacement, over-loading, sail plans, etc I crave to learn more from people that have 'been there, done that'. Being a new boat, I'm asking for opinions...

Having said that, even reading there is some "flaw" such as in the Leopard 44/48 front lounge area being "wind break" or speculation that they will sink the boat if heavy seas dump in, I still seem to see a lot of them doing circumnavigations and without incident (exception being the one in delivery in South Seas but debates rage on to what caused it). Every time I hear that front lounge is a death trap and they wouldn't (from non-owners), I can typically find someone who says they actually own that particular boat and they've taken multiple waves into that area in heavy seas with zero problems.

Maybe I just need to wait it out and see what others are saying that actually bought these cats? Anybody have any ideas on what hull # they are on in production?

Thanks in advance and excuse the caffeine addled ramblings of someone that has a dream and is working to achieve.

Sincerely,
WWV
Old 08-08-2016, 11:31   #9

Hi WWV,

Nice comments, wish you luck with your quest. I think you are right in terms of comments by "knowledgeable" people. The truth always lies somewhere in the middle of the spectrum of opinions you get. Look, plenty of people have crossed oceans and sailed around the world in boats I would never even consider for my needs. To me it is about striking a good compromise between three criteria, Cost - Performance - Comfort/Safety. Further, I don't want a boat that is unproven, let someone else go and test it. Give me a boat that has plenty of people out there sailing them and the behavior of the boat in all conditions is well known.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
When I see replies like this one, especially from a member who has posted over 600 times, I wonder...
  1. Are they having a bad day?
  2. Were all 600 comments as snarky?
  3. Did they try at humor and failed?
  4. Perhaps they are frustrated over something else and are taking it out on the forum?

For a generally pleasant forum with nice contributors, what causes people to get so snarky?
The answer is #3. Sorry the humor failed, my apologies.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:09   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Exactly, what about it?

Looks like anything else. Just another grp boat.

Are you a charter statup or something?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:24   #12
WWV

Not a charter start up. Simply a reasonably fit, 50 year old looking at retirement with a sense of adventure.

Being a new boat, and a newbie myself, wondering if there is anything specs or otherwise that jumps out at people and says this boat is "no go" or you would be sorry because of ...............

Don't know what I don't know but I'm learning....

WWV
Old 08-08-2016, 16:01   #13

Sometimes I wish this Message Board had a Like Button
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 16:08   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
The answer is #3. Sorry the humor failed, my apologies.

I got.

I thought it was pretty funny too.

We just need a sarcasm and/or an irony font and so much miscommunication will be avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-08-2016, 16:18   #15

WWV,

Here is a pretty article to consider:

14 Things to Remember When Buying a Catamaran - Sail Magazine