Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 05:36   #76
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Ok, What about Bali 4.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
Good and bad features, though I would never buy one. The amount of construction trash clogging the bilge pumps, and the poor design of basic systems convinced me to Never Consider a Catana, let alone a Bali. They don't care.
Being the same boat yard to manufacture Bali and Catana, shall we assume that Catana's are also "poorly designed", hence you would never buy Catana as well ?

If so, let me say that I have not sailed, not even seen any Bali but I
have recently bought a Catana 47, sailed her, as well as a Catana 58.
I cannot comment about Bali but having owned and sailed many FP's , Lagoons and the like, Catana's are much better built, much stiffer, with upgraded deck equipment (jammers, winches, etc..) , larger and open foredeck, high bridge deck clearance , very high SA to displacement ratio, slimmer hulls and as a matter of fact, they sail much better and are safer IMO. They are also priced 30-40 % higher than the rest, close to Outremers.
The boat yard has targeted a totally different audiance with Bali and they've made totally different boat, with the design, the structure, the volumes they are offering and finally the price which is much lower than Catana's. According to what they claim, they have been succesful so far in bringing incremental sales without cannibalising the sale of Catana's.

Bali is a completely different proposition to Catana and I would never consider buying one, never.. Said this, there will certainly be people to be in love with her and that's perfectly fine. There are no good boats or bad boats, there the ones that suit to yr expectations and needs while there are others that don't. So, I am not bashing any Bali owners if there are any.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 06:57   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ok, What about Bali 4.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Sailing performance, perhaps?
I don't know.. I delivered one and she seemed to sail well enough.. 1 reef in main and self tacking jib on a close reach saw us doing 10, occasionally 11kts.. for me the negatives are once the sea's got over 1 metre she began slamming going into the wind and that created a braking force when motoring or sailing.
For the price they are I was not impressed by the boat.. but as has been stated for charters it'll likely be very popular in places like the BVI's (sheltered) and the Balearics.. (little wind most of the time) they're party boats plain and simple.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 00:15   #78

Boat: Pogo 10,50

https://youtu.be/vzYE0sxqnvA
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 00:03   #79

Boat: Lagoon 380

Still very few racing results of Balis. Here are 4 with the Bali 4.0 and also 2 Nautitech 40 Open. Scroll down and study the elapsed times. The Lagoon 380 seems still to be the least slow kondomaran under 40' https://www.catamaranscup.com/result...p-results-2016
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 06:46   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Still very few racing results of Balis. Here are 4 with the Bali 4.0 and also 2 Nautitech 40 Open. Scroll down and study the elapsed times. The Lagoon 380 seems still to be the least slow kondomaran under 40' https://www.catamaranscup.com/result...p-results-2016

This thread is about the 4.5, just saying. The 4.0 being the newest, that's to be expected
Old 20-04-2017, 19:49   #81

We looked at one locally, it was a lovely big space to live in and with the flybridge cushions up top it had plenty of places to sit which appealed to my teen. When the door was open the space felt so big and airy and I could imagine having plenty of family for dinner etc.

However, the door on this brand new boat was not smooth to open (and presumedly will only get worse) and at the top corners where the tracks are there were decent sized gaps which would be hellish if you were in a buggy area. That alone put me off.
ScarletO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 07:28   #82
WWV

Thanks for feedback. I think you are speaking of Bali's with garage door. My orig post was about the 4.5 that has the traditional sliding door like most.

My main interest was in:
1) Overall quality
2) Sailing capabilities as compared to other mid 40s production cats
3) Safety and thoughts of hard deck up front out on open water, ie poor conditions.

Bali 4.5

Thanks all....

WWV
WWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:23   #83

With Catana behind the main design of the 4.5 , I have no worries about its sailing performance , which will anyway be modest considering the boat's design goals " a comfortable live aboard / spacious charter boat ". I actually have the same question /concern as WWV about what effect does the bow hard deck influences the boat's sailing behavior in dodgy conditions?.. how fast does water from a sizable wave drain upfront ? what about the boat's balance with all the extra weight upfront ?? etc.. no one will intentionally take a 4.5 out to blue waters unless conditions are moderate to calm, but its best to know the boat's capabilities for those unexpected 5m nasty squalls..
Vander Woestijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 09:30   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWV View Post
Thanks for feedback. I think you are speaking of Bali's with garage door. My orig post was about the 4.5 that has the traditional sliding door like most.
Ah ok, it must have been the 4.0 we looked at then. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.
ScarletO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 11:50   #85

I looked at this boat a lot. So many things to love... Drop down transom really does create a connected feel with the water at the back of the boat that is great while at anchor. Smart Davits system. For bluewater crossings, I think bulkhead helms are the perfect combination of visibility, safety (I like that there is a barrier to starboard preventing any accidents) and connection with the crew while under sail. People can hate on that fridge and yes it eats amps like pacman, but I love it.

Everyone talks about the bow. They are building these things in Europe to be sailed in the Caribbean. Almost every one of them will do a bluewater crossing. This picture of a 4.5 next to a Leopard showing the greatly increased clearance made me feel that pitchpoling will not be an issue.

But hearing Symphony's comments about how waves were causing water to pool and then penetrate the cabins... and this is on a boat with brand new hatches and seals... I'm convinced that this is not a world cruiser. Probably one of the best sailing cats for protected waters, but for me, not the world cruiser of choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bali_Leopard.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	145998  
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 13:17   #86
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vander Woestijn View Post
With Catana behind the main design of the 4.5 , I have no worries about its sailing performance , .
This id designed by Mercedes, so it will win grand prixs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iu.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	146000  
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 13:33   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
So you're telling me the Mercedes will drive the same as a Ford Expedition?

He's not calling the Bali a fast cat, he's just saying that due to it's design pedigree it should sail well for it's intended purpose.
Old 22-04-2017, 01:15   #88

Quote:

These generally come with a very healthy amount of power compared to other trucks
Old 22-04-2017, 13:07   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
So you're telling me the Mercedes will drive the same as a Ford Expedition?
NO - No I am not.

Quote:
He's not calling the Bali a fast cat, he's just saying that due to it's design pedigree it should sail well for it's intended purpose.
If its intended purpose is to not to be able to sail out of sight on a dark night with a cyclone up its posterior, then yes I agree with you.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 14:20   #90

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
LMAO