Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-04-2017, 16:22   #136

Boat: Phisa 42
Re: Ok, What about Bali 4.5?

Not seeing the newer models being turned out as cheaper barnacle quite the opposite in fact but that could just be the inflation our central banks say doesn't exist 😉

It's an interesting point on the depreciation rates though between the 2 catana brands. Ie the catana originals hold their value extremely well. Probably because they are well built and have a design that appeals beyond the 5 year hold charter market.

I don't expect this will be at all the same with the Bali due to the different market segment.

So over say a 10 year hold the catana may well be cheaper option after depreciation costs.

Old 18-05-2017, 21:36   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
I looked at this boat a lot. So many things to love... Drop down transom really does create a connected feel with the water at the back of the boat that is great while at anchor. Smart Davits system. For bluewater crossings, I think bulkhead helms are the perfect combination of visibility, safety (I like that there is a barrier to starboard preventing any accidents) and connection with the crew while under sail. People can hate on that fridge and yes it eats amps like pacman, but I love it.

Everyone talks about the bow. They are building these things in Europe to be sailed in the Caribbean. Almost every one of them will do a bluewater crossing. This picture of a 4.5 next to a Leopard showing the greatly increased clearance made me feel that pitchpoling will not be an issue.

But hearing Symphony's comments about how waves were causing water to pool and then penetrate the cabins... and this is on a boat with brand new hatches and seals... I'm convinced that this is not a world cruiser. Probably one of the best sailing cats for protected waters, but for me, not the world cruiser of choice.

All this shows is the height of the freeboard at the bow. Doesn't really show clearance
Here's a Bali4.5 from a different view.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3287.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	148037

Old 19-05-2017, 14:44   #138

For most people looking at bluewater vessels, it's the bow freeboard clearance that matters for safety. A large wave pooping the deck over the transom is inconvenient, but surfing down a wave into a pitchpole situation could capsize the boat.

While I've changed my mind on the Leopard 48 forward cockpit and am now convinced it's incredibly safe for bluewater cruising, I don't think I'd try it in a Bali.
Old 19-05-2017, 16:00   #139
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
For most people looking at bluewater vessels, it's the bow freeboard clearance that matters for safety. A large wave pooping the deck over the transom is inconvenient, but surfing down a wave into a pitchpole situation could capsize the boat.

While I've changed my mind on the Leopard 48 forward cockpitlounge and am now convinced it's incredibly safe for bluewater cruising, I don't think I'd try it in a Bali.
Its not freeboard that matters - its reserve buoyancy and the two are not necessarily the same. As for the forward LOUNGE, I don't think its necessarily unsafe, just little chance of getting to windward with it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: