Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 10:13   #1

Offshore Sailing a Beneteau Blue 2

I recently purchased a Beneteau Blue 2, built 1984. I'm in the process of upgrading and would like any input on sailing one offshore, from anyone who has done so.
Also what adjustments were made for such voyaging.
Colm
cmadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38   #2

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
I only know of one Blue II and that is owned by Jim Duerden at Top Cat training school in Cornwall, UK. Speak to Jim he is a very knowledgeable RYA instructor.
See catamaran training courses Multihull sailing school tuition
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 16:02   #3

Boat: 87 blue II SANS SOUCI
focus

Hey!!!!! I just bought a blue II. I did not think there was too many around. Where are you and how long have you had yours. I am in Panama City, Florida.
FOCUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 00:25   #4

I bought Safari Blue one year ago and have done a considerable amount of work on her, much needed. I'm leaving today for three weeks costal sailing. This is the first time I've sailed her and being a monohull sailor for years, I'm a little aprehensive.
I'm currently in the UK where I purchased the boat and where I live part time. I'd planned to sail her in the 2009/2011 round the world "Blue Water" rally out of Gibraltar on the trade routes to the Caribbean and South Pacific. This being much of the reason for my interest in anyone sailing one offshore. As for the number built I'm told probably no more than 20 or 30. I've only been able to identify seven, including myself and now you. One in Toronto, Canada. A second one here in the UK, one in the far east somewhere, and two in the Med.
regards
Colm
cmadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 13:31   #5

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I know of one in Sweden and one here in Denmark. The Swedish owned one is in really good shape, the local one needs some TLC last I saw it..

cheers

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 08:49   #6

Thanks for the reply as I know you are busy with your new journey. I believe my biggest concern about the blue II is at the connection of the fore stay to the "horizontal mast". There was a small crack 2-3 inches, which I had welded when I bought the boat. I see another starting, so I would watch this area.
I would like to see photos of your work.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:18   #7

Boat: beneteau blue 2,entre-deux
response to cmadden:

I am the guy who owns the blue 2 in Toronto. I bought it three years ago and did a lot of work to upgrade her (e.g. electronics, main, shafts and bearings, holding tanks, etc). I also had a davit system made which adds a bit of weight astern but the hobby horsing seems to be negligible.

I believe there were about 90 of these boats made between 85 and 89 but I can't remember where I heard this number. We limit our sailing to Georgian Bay which can get pretty hairy. We've sailed in 2 metre waves and 23 knot winds, which doesn't sound like much except they are on very short centres which makes for a rough ride when pointing. Length is everything. On a broad reach (her favourite) we were doing 9 knots with a double reef in the main and a small headsail. We are conservative. The previous owner had her doing 17 knots.

My wife and I love the boat. the only drawback is her little engines (9 horse single piston yanmars. I've thought of upgrading to 18's. Do you (or anyone) know if you need bigger diameter shafts for such engines?

I look forward to hearing from fellow blue 2 owners.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmadden View Post
I bought Safari Blue one year ago and have done a considerable amount of work on her, much needed. I'm leaving today for three weeks costal sailing. This is the first time I've sailed her and being a monohull sailor for years, I'm a little aprehensive.
I'm currently in the UK where I purchased the boat and where I live part time. I'd planned to sail her in the 2009/2011 round the world "Blue Water" rally out of Gibraltar on the trade routes to the Caribbean and South Pacific. This being much of the reason for my interest in anyone sailing one offshore. As for the number built I'm told probably no more than 20 or 30. I've only been able to identify seven, including myself and now you. One in Toronto, Canada. A second one here in the UK, one in the far east somewhere, and two in the Med.
regards
Colm
camplong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:39   #8

wow, I am new to the forum and will try to add photos soon. I bought my boat in april. We are really excited and happy with her. I have 2 18 horse yanmars but one is acting stupid. It like to drink oil and hard to start. I hope to repower the port side soon. The previous owner had cut her mast to 48 feet so I don't think I will get 17 but on the sea trial we hit 13. It was a 25-30 knot day on Pensacola bay and the prior owner said it was one of the best rides he had.
I have done alot of cosmetic work with her. She was ignored for 2-3 years. I put teak and holly in the hull. Replaced all the wood in the main salo. REcently I trimed out the main salon in teack. I found lumber on Ebay.
I replaced the water tank with a bladder. I noticed there is a "drain" sticking out like it is leading to the bilge. But mine is stopped up? Do you know anything about how the forward hull drains to the bilge?
We love our boat. We took it out with the whole family, 9 on board and room to spare.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:18   #9

I am still trying to figure out the workings. I did put some photos on my. I would lpove to see another blue II.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:49   #10

Response to Focus

Re Drain:

On our boat the bulkhead between the forward hold and the berth simply has a small hole at the bottom to allow water to drain into the bilge. I don't recall any hose.

Re "horizontal mast":

Where exactly is this crack? By horizontal mast are you referring to the forward cross member that connects the two hulls? If yes, I have no such problem on our boat.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:10   #11

hI, thanks for the info. The horizontal mast is the cross member. I wa new to cats when I wrote thant. I have a slight problem under the roller furling.
I need to figure a way to unstop the communication from the forward bilge and the bilge aft of the motor. I worked on my water heater and did not realize I had a leak in the hose. I turned on the motor and it was not spit out the back as it should. The front bilge was full of water. I stuck a "snake" down there and it stoped before it made it to the aft bilge.
I will try to get a caliber today so I can measure my shaft. I have 18 Hp and if you are going to upgrade to 18 maybe they are the same.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:40   #12

Regarding the hard starting Yanmar: I had the same problem with a 3 cyl Yanmar and it was a cracked piston. Hard starting, used just a little oil, once started, would actually run decent at higher rpm. It took 3 mechainics to find it, one rebuilt the head. Engine had 2000 hours on it. Yanmar wants you to run their engines at 3500 rpm to get their advertised HP, but I suspect the lightweight engine has trouble dealing with that sometimes.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 14:43   #13

To Focus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
I only know of one Blue II and that is owned by Jim Duerden at Top Cat training school in Cornwall, UK. Speak to Jim he is a very knowledgeable RYA instructor.
See catamaran training courses Multihull sailing school tuition

If you don't see cooling water coming out of the engine exhaust you have a problem with your water pump. Better fix it you can burn out the engine. It's probably just the small rubber implellor inside the pump that is worn out.
Old 23-12-2008, 14:46   #14

To Adaero:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplong View Post
If you don't see cooling water coming out of the engine exhaust you have a problem with your water pump. Better fix it you can burn out the engine. It's probably just the small rubber implellor inside the pump that is worn out.
I'm the guy with the blue II in Toronto. It was purchased from a guy in the States. The name on the boat was Top Cat. Maybe it's the same guy from the sailing school.
Old 24-12-2008, 14:09   #15

Again, thanks for the info. I have h20 coming out. The motor runs great after she starts. She just like oil alot. I promise I will get the measurement of my shaft. With the holiday season on us I been busy Christmas shoping.

Tags
beneteau