Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 17:52   #1

Boat: PSC 37 #359
offshore cats & other newbie questions

I am newly registered on this forum but have been reading posts for a few weeks now. I haven't been able to find clear answers on the following topics and would appreciate any advise you experienced cat cruisers have to offer:

* What cats are good choices for offshore passages, live-aboard, or possibly circumnavigation?
* Any suggestions on outfitting a cat for long distances? For example, weight vs. provisions, electronics vs. generating electricity, water tanks vs. de-salination, recommended redundant systems, etc.
* Does the choice of cat make a difference if one plans to cruise in cold/cool climates or a variety of climates?
* There were some long threads on the Mahe 36 while some waited for theirs to arrive from the manufacturer, but the threads seemed to disappear after that, with some leaving the impression that the cat was not built to the same quality level as other Fountain Pajot cats. Any update on how this cat worked out?
* A lot of books mention "keeping it simple". Okay, but that is a trade-off, too. Any suggestions on what practically keeping it simple equals?

Thanks. I hope to learn enough to return the information-favor some day!
seacurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 18:46   #2

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
check out maxingout.com for a Privilege 39 that circumnavigated. Same captain is also a member of this forum.

That site inspired my husband to start searching for one. so far we've surveyed two older ones for purchase, but they were in such a state of neglect and deterioration we couldn't commit to buying them. We want to go sailing, not sit on the hard and repair everything.

good luck in your search. The cats cost considerably more than the monohulls of same length of course.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 20:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
A lot of books mention "keeping it simple".
Everything is only simple after you understand all the complexities. Brain surgery is simple after you do a few dozen successfully. In truth, none of this is even close to simple. I say that meaning you don't see the the details as clearly yet and it takes some effort to work through all this. If you already knew everything it might appear obvious but books touting "keeping it simple" are not accurate. It does not mean you don't have to know anything.

Look around, learn more, try some sailing, and maybe charter a few boats. Learn more from study and by doing both. The process can be fun but also enlightening in ways beyond your current grasp.

I consider sailing something I can never master and always look for more new things I can do better or learn about more. The more you know the more you need to learn. If it were only keeping it simple I would not be sailing. Grass mowing is simple. I could let go of that and not miss much.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:22   #4

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Take a good look at your budget, and assess if you need to buy a good that's been kitted out or a new boat that you can kit out for serious blue cruising.
Even old Prouts are still good cruisers, the newer stuff has to be separated between Charter (Accomaodation) and cruising (some sailing performance into wind).
Get to a secound hand dealer and weigh up what you will need. Then cost it out, new v oldish v old. You'll get a bigger boat per buck the older it gets but do you need it, can you afford the additional costs involved.
Once you've bought it becomes yours. No matter what it is.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:55   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Seacurves,

There is a ton of information in our archives on the topics you listed, but the "Search" function in the nav bar is not easy to use. Try using this custom, Google-based search tool for better results: CRUISERS FORUM SEARCH

You might want to "bookmark" it for future reference. Good luck!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:06   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Seacurves, have you checked out the older threads on the multihull section of the discussion board - there have been a number that were related to the design, construction and sailing of multihulls offshore. In this connection, read the threads on bridgedeck clearance, the 'Prout', or cutter rig, storm tactics etc.

As you may (or should) expect, there is no consensus opinion on the best boat(s), rig, equipment inventory or tactics, but there is some lively and illucidating discussion.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 15:55   #7

Boat: PSC 37 #359
Thank you all very much for the guidance!

I have been drilling into a lot of the older material on the forum, searching the Internet, hitting some good magazines, rummaging through the library, checking out marine stores, hanging around harbors, and the like. I plan to book some "cruiser training" this winter, too. In the interim, I continue to sail my humble but ohsofun Hobie 16 in the Great Lakes! Again, thanks!
seacurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 16:22   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good plan! Can't beat a Hobie 16 for fun sailing!
Old 08-09-2008, 20:11   #9

Boat: m36 cat
I suggest Chris White's THE CRUISING MULTIHULL

I think 99% of what he says is pretty much true. Makes multihull design a science as opposed to someone pushing some theory about his own design. If you digest this book, then you can make a rough evaluation of most designs (as opposed to reading an actual review of the particular boat which is not always available). Check out some of the Chuck Kantor's books as he reviews a lot of popular designs of 10 or 15 years ago.
delebash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 21:10   #10

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Take your time, there are lots of great cats out there.

They say the first boat you buy always teaches you what wanted in a boat but did not get, and your second boat is exactly what you want because now you can fully understand what that is, having had a boat. You can skip this painful process of buying and selling boats if you take your time and get the first boat right from the start.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:23   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Consider yourself blessed if you get it right on the second try. Trust me on this. I'm gonna stop at 18.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote