Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 16:39   #1

Of the last 20 years, the Classics of the Cruiser multihulls?

Enough time has passed that some Cruiser multihulls must have by now gained a well known rep as Really Good Boats which are still good choices even as their age begins to show in design as well as the usual.
While maybe too new for this, let's call them 'The Classics' of the modern era, popular cruiser multihulls (which is sort of the only era for this sort, no?) 20 years on.

This would not include a Gunboat 48, or expensive multihulls of the sort keenly first designed for speed. These would as much be decided around their comfort and affordability as performance.

The size will likely be 35 or greater, with a salon/saloon interior & exterior not entirely given over to performance, or mast placement, or aero shape, but instead with nice living spaces being as important.

While their well deserved popularity will still likely be to some extant about their performance, that won't necessarily be top of the list.

Maybe list the top three things they're popular for.
lcdemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:51   #2

Re: Of the last 20 years, the Classics of the Cruiser multihulls?

I'm obviously biased, and it's 25 years old, and not a "production" boat, but I'll nominate the Shuttleworth Advantage 43/44. Designed with a streamlined low profile and slender hulls at the waterline for speed, shoal draft with daggerboard, flared above for accommodations. Designed to be strong, fast, and safe.
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 17:30   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Already referred to as a Classic would be the Catana 471. A nice balance of comfort, performance and safety. Borne out by it's resale value.

I would also nominate the Lagoon 380. Arguably the most successful cruising multihull based on copies sold and currently underway.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 18:00   #4

Outremer 38/43 and Atlantic 42.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 18:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

I gotta nominate the Lagoon TPI 42. Still a great sailing cat and easily affordable...
Old 14-08-2015, 22:45   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I'd nominate the late 90's Prout 45.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 06:29   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I like the Seawind 1000 and the XL. Although the 1000 is smaller than the criteria the XL fits. The 1160 is also cool.

I'm going to go out on a limb here with the Maine Cat 41. Totally enclosed helm/cockpit, all controls lead inside, self tacking jib, daggerboards, vinylester, etc. What's not to love? Very innovative and a one of a kind design. The little sister, the MC30 is also nice. The new MC38 is going to be interesting!
Old 15-08-2015, 08:00   #8

We are three months into a circumnavigation aboard our 1996 Prout Quasar 50. She's built like a tank but can easily achieve 15 to 18 knots in 20 to 25 knots of wind. There's more room aboard than we can justify for just the two of us. Galley down with three full sized double cabins and a massive saloon. Watermaker, washing machine, solar, diesel and wind generators, we tend to generate more electric than we use. Currently heading along the north coast of Spain.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439650790451.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	107314  
Hocus Pocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 08:23   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32

The first of the big fast cats, the 75 foot Spronk designed Ppalu is a classic! Watch the video at www.ppalu.com for some interesting catamaran history.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jep17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 08:47   #10

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33

Don't overlook the PDQ 36--a fine Canadian boat the simply got priced out of the market. And the under 40 ft market has been slim Pickens indeed!
Jack Lahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 08:57   #11

boats from 20 years in this size arent common, but there is one Ive always wanted to return updated, The Comanche 32 by Sailcraft
ZULU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 09:18   #12

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

I'm obviously biased but have owned my 42' Lagoon TPI for 10 years. Vinylester, self tacking, high bridge, fixed keels to rest on. Strong as an ox ....she is just a very dependable girl. Easily singlehandled I use 18 volt right angle Milwaukee drills to run my winches and have no crew. Funny how an extra 5' can make such a difference in the need for a second person to reef, dock etc.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 09:26   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

The Lagoon 380 would be the #1 most popular in my very bias opinion. After all there are more of them in the water than all of the others put together. Their interior layout, helm, carrying capacity, sale plan and construction quality have stood the test of time.

I cruise mine regularly at 9 to 10 kn and have been up to 13 to 14 knots with a little golf stream push.

Most important to me is that it fits under the Intracoastal waterway bridges. Excepting two bridges on the east coast of the US.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 09:32   #14

Boat: C&C

Got to go with the FP Antigua 37, fast, affordable and tough!!! Galley up, 2 heads and 3'-4" draft. Hard to find in this size of boat. Perfect for the Bahamas!!!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 10:10   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!

I like this topic. But, I think the definition of "cruiser multihull" should be a little broader than the OP suggested in the top post.

Instead of looking at only boats that are 40+ feet, I suggest that there are other multihulls deserving notice and praise that are smaller but still useable as a cruiser.

Which ones?

For example, the Ian Farrier designed "F-27" would be my first thought. It is one of only two multihulls that have been inducted into the American Sailboat Hall of Fame (the other was the Hobie 16).

The F-27 was ground breaking in design at the time. It spawned a great interest in smaller, faster multihulls that had a large enough cabin for a couple or small crew to sleep in. The boats are fast and won races. They are versatile in that they can be trailered home and go down the highway on a trailer at 55mph. They have crossed oceans (see clips below).

I first noticed them in the late 1980s in San Francisco Bay when one blasted past me while I was on a nice fast J-35 that was rigged for speed. The F-27 just skimmed over the waves and look like it was flying! Very impressive, and at that time I thought: "I want to sail on one of those."

While it is rather small in some ways, so would not likely be a "charter condomaran" in the Caribbean, the ability to trailer it home or to a lake or coastal areas gives it a different kind of appeal.

To me, it is like a "pocket cruiser" in multihull form. I would happily cruise with it to many places (to the Bahamas, coastal East Coast, etc.).

The F-27 is just one model from this line. There are smaller and larger models.

The following is clipped from the F-27 website, where there are many photos showing the build and development of the line.

F-27 - Hall Of Fame
F-27 Inducted Into Hall Of Fame

By Ian Farrier (The designer.)

The first ocean crossing was made by Mark Robson's F-27 KILLER FROG, with John Walton as crew, sailing in the 1987 Trans Pac Race from Long Beach to Hawaii. KILLER FROG averaged just on 8 knots for a quick 12 day passage, including one 250 mile day.

Adrian Went's F-27 OLIJFE then made an Atlantic crossing in 1988, with an impressive passage of 23 days from Cape Cod to Bishop Rock, England
F-27s also continued to demonstrate their seaworthiness, with two more crossing the Pacific to Hawaii in 1990 one single-handed, one double-handed.

It should also be noted that while it is nice to know that the F-27 is seaworthy enough to cross oceans, it is a little small for this, and ocean crossing is not a recommended purpose.

The F-27 continued on regardless, and in 1993 two F-27s set an incredible performance mark in the 1993 Miami - Key Largo race, averaging an amazing 18.2 and 17.9 knots for the 43 mile course.

In January 1995 SAIL magazine gave the F-27 an honorable mention, along with such boats as the Laser and the 12m Australia II, as "having had a significant and positive impact on sailing over the past 25 years". The F-27 was being noticed and becoming part of the establishment.
In February, 1997, after a 12 year model cycle, and 450 boats built, the F-27 was replaced by the F-28,

F-27 production peaked at 101 boats a year in 1991, a figure that has not been equaled since by any other model at Corsair, nor in fact by all other models combined. It put multihulls firmly on the map, and proved it was possible to build a good quality multihull, that had both room and performance, and an affordable price. It has provided excellent value for owners, many selling their boats for more than the original purchase price, even after years of use. The F-27 truly is a classic multihull.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F-27Aquatecw.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	107329   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-27pacificw.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	107330  

Name:	F-27trailerinhillsw.jpg