Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 20:06   #586

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Since it is relevant to this thread and in the spirit of raising peoples consciousness re electric hybrid technology, I post the following recent article in pdf by Nigel Calder on the viability of hybrid now.

I think he makes some very good comments on the fact that these systems were under specified in the beginning, but things have moved on and there are now both serial and parallel systems that are out there doing the job.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 20:10   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Since it is relevant to this thread and in the spirit of raising peoples consciousness re electric hybrid technology, I post the following recent article in pdf by Nigel Calder on the viability of hybrid now.

I think he makes some very good comments on the fact that these systems were under specified in the beginning, but things have moved on and there are now both serial and parallel systems that are out there doing the job.
That's no different than replacing a 45hp diesel with a 20hp diesel and expecting it to perform the same as the 45hp did.

But still waiting to hear how a 15kw electric motor is creating 75kw of power at the prop???
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 21:47   #588
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Missing link?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 22:56   #589

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Of course this is still just a side issue. I'm still waiting to hear how a 15kw motor is generating 75kw of power at the prop. If you can answer this with a reasonable answer that can be explained by physics, I'll agree with anything else you claim about Ocean Volt.
Electric superhorses. Perpetual acceleration! To infinity and beyond!!!!!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 23:16   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Missing link?
Sorry, the pdf was too big for this forum. I don't have a link.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:34   #591

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
What could possibly go wrong with all that state of the art electrickery floating around?

News - Fire aboard Conrad Colman’s boat - Vendée Globe 2016-2017
Wow, what a terrible day.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:48   #592
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yeah, most folks would be ecstatic... but if you look at some of the cruising cat speeds that Pollux has posted for the current ARC, you will see that even without the drag of the turbine, those speeds are not realistic expectations for most boats, no matter what the number of hulls.

Jim
All that data proves is that those boats with those crews do those speeds. There are plenty of boats out there that cover the ground far faster and without using engines.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 14:29   #593

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
All that data proves is that those boats with those crews do those speeds. There are plenty of boats out there that cover the ground far faster and without using engines.
Plenty? Perhaps there are, but are t hey vessels loaded up for cruising or are they day-sailors running light? And are they dragging props for the purposes of extracting large amounts of energy for the magic regeneration?

I reckon that there are some boats, both mullti and monohull designs, that can achieve such cruising speeds, but they are not well represented in the cruising grounds that I cover, nor apparently in the ARC.

I'd be interested if you could point out some examples for our education.

Jim
Old 09-12-2016, 21:33   #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Give me 10 boats that do 60days per year open water passages where they are averaging (not short bursts, day sailing or racing actual real cruising boats loaded down for cruising) over 10kts.

Even at 60 days per year, that still leaves 305 days per year when the output is negligible and solar panels make far more sense. Also, if you are talking large multihulls, adding 1000w solar is very practical, so you really need to be up closer to that 3000w range and 15-17kts to make it impressive.

But I'm still waiting for the answer to the real question: How does a 15kw electric motor put out 75kw of power at the prop shaft? That subject keeps getting glossed over by certain respondents (not you Factor)
Old 12-12-2016, 16:09   #595

Any info regarding this new tech(presented at METS) providing 300% improvment in the hydrogeneration/regeneration usage of the electric motor ?
yvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 16:32   #596

The OV figures are you get 1 kW at just over 6 knots, 2 kW at just over 8 knots, 3 kW at 10 knots, and 4.5 Kw at 12 knots.

Of course that is only tank testing where things would be controlled to probably 0.1 knot and plus or minus whatever watts instrumentation could measure, so it won't satisfy the crowd here... it's all magic after all.
Old 12-12-2016, 18:32   #597
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The OV figures are you get 1 kW at just over 6 knots, 2 kW at just over 8 knots, 3 kW at 10 knots, and 4.5 Kw at 12 knots.

Of course that is only tank testing where things would be controlled to probably 0.1 knot and plus or minus whatever watts instrumentation could measure, so it won't satisfy the crowd here... it's all magic after all.
The OV graph here: Create energy while sailing
shows nothing like those figures. More like

Virtually nothing at 6 knots
About 200W at 7 knots
About 500W at 8 knots
1kW at just over 9 knots
2kW at 13 knots
3kW at 15 knots
4.5 KW at ??? (maybe close to 20 knots?)

(It's a bit hard to be sure because of the deceptive varying scale on the X Axis)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OVRegen.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	137964  
Old 12-12-2016, 19:03   #598

Post from yvest asked about the new regen, Stu.

I responded to his post. You are posting about the existing regen.
Old 12-12-2016, 19:59   #599

Quote:

Is this at all like the 15kw motor that can generate 75kw at the prop shaft?

Maybe the plan is to draw 3kw in regen off one motor to feed the other motor which should then put out 15kw (5*3kw similar to 5*15kw=75kw) which should keep you at 10kts.

(and then you wonder why we question the "facts" you present)
Old 12-12-2016, 20:03   #600
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

The figures you state as new ones are not just 300% better, at reasonable cruising speeds they appear to be 400-1000% better. (Assuming that you can reach those speeds with the additional drag from that re-gen).

How about presenting something other than hearsay as evidence of this new technology? Like a copy of a data sheet from OV maybe?

Does the data include drag data?
ISTM that the drag from taking 2-3kW of power from the water would be similar to having a 2-3HP outboard strapped on the back of the boat running in reverse. TAANSTAFL

Tags
motor