Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 05:51   #121

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Ya think they might have gone belly up and folks r pushing obsolete stock? Maybe these high tech guys r having web site trouble.
Old 21-09-2016, 06:19   #122

Boat: Dreaming
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Ya think they might have gone belly up and folks r pushing obsolete stock? Maybe these high tech guys r having web site trouble.
Are you referring to OceanVolt?

The website works fine for me.
Their facebook page has a post from the weekend.
Their twitter account re-tweeted something 5 hours ago.

I think they are alive and well.
GaryJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 06:46   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJones View Post
Are you referring to OceanVolt?

The website works fine for me.

Their facebook page has a post from the weekend.

Their twitter account re-tweeted something 5 hours ago.

I think they are alive and well.

I have tried the link that I posted ever since I started reading this topic but keep getting a "Network Error" timeout.

I'm still getting it.

Not a Facebook nor Twitter follower.
Old 21-09-2016, 06:50   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

That link works for me.

Try going here and entering the URL:

Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:10   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That link works for me.

Try going here and entering the URL:

Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up?

Thanks for the link. It agrees with y'all.

"I've been kicked out of better places than this" has been a standard saying of mine for a while.
Maybe they have a "Lacks Character" firewall.
Old 21-09-2016, 08:19   #126

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
exMaggieDrum,

Thanks for that summary of Calders article, very interesting. But a couple of your comments seemed off the mark from what I know about Nigel Calder.

"My thought - of course, Calder will have significant sponsorship from the vendors to promote them to his wide audience. "

I think Mr. Calder has established enough credibility and professionalism in the industry to warrant some respect. Questioning his credibility by inferring he is "on the take" from vendors to give a good review, says more about your cynicism than his ethics.

Also, he has "ripped out a few systems in the past" because his boat is a test bed for electric propulsion and he has tried many, many motors and other components of EP. He has written extensively on EP for several years, in case you were not aware.
I'm in the process of converting from LA batteries to lithium but only for my house bank, and perhaps my start bank as well, but I am not planning to go all electric or hybrid for propulsion. Back in the early 2000's I had wanted to extend my knowledge of electric propulsion in my short career as an marine electric tech but it became obvious that its time had not come. I don't keep up with all the articles and all since then.

I have read many of Nigel Calder's experiences with different tech and vendor specific systems. I expect that he was sponsored by them for sure. I have found that he was pretty upfront on it and I recall that he always followed up with the downsides of each at the times. I haven't detected any particular bias other than to say he is open about which systems he thinks have the most potential and those that he doesn't.

I did not pick up on any particular commercial bias in his article as he had comments pro and anti for each vendor mentioned. His article was literally meant to be a short summary of the state of market and developments. I hesitated to do a further even shorter summary, especially since I am a rank amateur compared to all the aficionados, such as yourself. I did it to try and suggest that his article was worth reading and that was all.

I'm pretty picky when listening to various gurus of any new tech, and especially those in the "lithium as house batteries" area because I am going down that expensive, and somewhat risky road, at the moment. I certainly see bias in many posts and articles, and some downright hype, either for personal ego or for commercial reasons.

Don't use my small attempt to help a couple of posters on here as a definitive review of what Calder said. It was a summary in the first place and only his views, which I am sure I did not give service to. You should read the article at the library or by subscription and make up your own mind from the source.

I understand your views though. I just wanted you to understand what I was trying to do.

Joe
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:46   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
In reality many boats are however overpowered. Because their owners want to be able to stop on a dime and turn the boat when mucking about in a marina. So the engine ends up not running optimally when cruising.
That is where a parallel hybrid does make some sense. Size the engine for optimal cruising. Add an electric motor for those cases you need an extra push. This electric motor can double as a high power generator for charging your batteries.
If we are talking sailboats, it's rare to be significantly overpowered and the vast majority are well within efficient operating conditions.

The problem with under sizing the engine for a hybrid is when you need full power, it's often for a significant period of time and the batteries go flat leaving you an underpowered system.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:58   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Does anyone have any experience with these? or other hybrid's? I had to laugh at their claim that these are "maintenance free"... really?!? NOTHING on a boat is maintenance free. But, I do like the idea of a hybrid. Anyone have one on their boat?
Yes, as noted above, give a read of this month's Sail Mag, Nigel Calder has an article on hybrid sailboat propulsion, what doesn't work, why and what may work in the future.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 17:23   #129

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I'm in the process of converting from LA batteries to lithium but only for my house bank, and perhaps my start bank as well, but I am not planning to go all electric or hybrid for propulsion. Back in the early 2000's I had wanted to extend my knowledge of electric propulsion in my short career as an marine electric tech but it became obvious that its time had not come. I don't keep up with all the articles and all since then.

I have read many of Nigel Calder's experiences with different tech and vendor specific systems. I expect that he was sponsored by them for sure. I have found that he was pretty upfront on it and I recall that he always followed up with the downsides of each at the times. I haven't detected any particular bias other than to say he is open about which systems he thinks have the most potential and those that he doesn't.

I did not pick up on any particular commercial bias in his article as he had comments pro and anti for each vendor mentioned. His article was literally meant to be a short summary of the state of market and developments. I hesitated to do a further even shorter summary, especially since I am a rank amateur compared to all the aficionados, such as yourself. I did it to try and suggest that his article was worth reading and that was all.

I'm pretty picky when listening to various gurus of any new tech, and especially those in the "lithium as house batteries" area because I am going down that expensive, and somewhat risky road, at the moment. I certainly see bias in many posts and articles, and some downright hype, either for personal ego or for commercial reasons.

Don't use my small attempt to help a couple of posters on here as a definitive review of what Calder said. It was a summary in the first place and only his views, which I am sure I did not give service to. You should read the article at the library or by subscription and make up your own mind from the source.

I understand your views though. I just wanted you to understand what I was trying to do.

Joe
Hi Joe,

It depends what you mean by vendor "sponsorship", I guess.

I took your comment to be that you thought he was offering praise to OceanVolt for some "reward". I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

Certainly it would be reasonable for a vendor to supply the equipment, free of charge, for a trial period so Calder could test the gear and write about it. That seems to me to be what happens with Calder and his investigations into EP. We all know that there are some influential commentators that get some "kickback" from vendors, it happens all the time. Have you ever seen an objectively critical article of some boat in Cruising World, for instance? Every boat they review (who advertise with them) is wonderful, with no faults at all.

They may get paid, or get free equipment, or a luxury villa somewhere. I was just making the point that I don't think Calder is one of them.

While I'm here, did anyone else notice Calder's comment that Torqeedo is still in development with their hybrid? WTF !!! They gave me a quote based on shaft drive Deep Blue) for a system a full 2 years ago (astronomically expensive), and chased me up to see if I was going ahead with it, and they still don't actually have a system??? Wow, that's marketing chutzpa for you

So you see, I can be pretty cynical about vendors too
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 23:53   #130

Gee you seemed very sure and positive about Torqueedo some months back....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 15:55   #131

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

44',

That would be many, many months back, as in over a year, I think.

I still think torqeedo do good product in their little outboards, particularly the Traveller.

But something seems very wrong in their Deep Blue 30kW hybrid for cruising. It seems to be massively inefficient. When I asked about the status of their hybrid at the Power Equipment stand at the Sydney Boatshow, the fellow said it was not nearly ready, and would not elaborate further. I guess they had to go back to the drawing board.

Since it has been well over 2 years since they said to me they could supply one, just makes you wonder, as promises remain unfulfilled. They don't have any customer installations that I can see, while OceanVolt are rolling them out in cruising cats all over the place. Re the two vendors, that says it all really.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 22:53   #132

Time flies when you're out having fun!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 07:39   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJones View Post
Hey Ash,

I have been following your progress on facebook with these builds for a while. They are really starting to take shape.

If I am not mistaken, the OceanVolt system you are installing is 2x 8.3kW engines? Do you feel this is going to be enough to replace the Yanmar / Nanni you are putting in her sistership? I guess they were selected as they are the largest shaft drive model that OceanVolt sell?

What size generator are you installing to run with the electric engines?
What size battery bank?

I am really looking forward to seeing the whole thing complete and in the water. Exciting times!

Gary
Hi Gary, they have 10kw shaft units which we are using and I hear potentially a 15kw next year.
Northstarmulti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:17   #134

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Hi Joe,

It depends what you mean by vendor "sponsorship", I guess.

I took your comment to be that you thought he was offering praise to OceanVolt for some "reward". I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

Certainly it would be reasonable for a vendor to supply the equipment, free of charge, for a trial period so Calder could test the gear and write about it. That seems to me to be what happens with Calder and his investigations into EP. We all know that there are some influential commentators that get some "kickback" from vendors, it happens all the time. Have you ever seen an objectively critical article of some boat in Cruising World, for instance? Every boat they review (who advertise with them) is wonderful, with no faults at all.

They may get paid, or get free equipment, or a luxury villa somewhere. I was just making the point that I don't think Calder is one of them.

While I'm here, did anyone else notice Calder's comment that Torqeedo is still in development with their hybrid? WTF !!! They gave me a quote based on shaft drive Deep Blue) for a system a full 2 years ago (astronomically expensive), and chased me up to see if I was going ahead with it, and they still don't actually have a system??? Wow, that's marketing chutzpa for you

So you see, I can be pretty cynical about vendors too
Every time I read a review of something in the big sailing mags I have to swallow hard. I actually have been known to fall off of my chair when they say something negative in boat reviews. Usually some little nothing that they almost apologize for saying. The charter boat sections are the absolute worst in this regard. Talk about hype!

I didn't take any offense as I considered what you said just as you restated. I just wanted to not be biased myself.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:35   #135

Boat: Swan 432

For cruising boats I think the technology needs another 10 years. There is a federal tax break for solar but not sure if it would cover an electric motor. It only applies to your primary home and is going to be phased out. That is the type of incentive needed for people to advance the technology. The last time I researched this, essentially I found that both options cost and weighed the same. The presumption being that some fuel capacity would be sacrificed to make room for extra batteries. At the current speed at which battery technology is advancing, in 10 years we may be able to run an electric motor on batteries alone for 4 hours or so. If we advance motor tech at the same rate then we will have smaller and more efficient propulsion.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor