Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2017, 03:54   #946
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Sorry mate, I was at airlie four weeks back. A small cat upside down in the southern marina and at least two tris upside down at shute harbour. Some so far in the mangroves I don't know how they'll get then out.
Obviously also some sunken monos, two or three in the marinas by memory.
6 or 7 is more like it. Geez I saw photos of more than 2 or 3.

But I suppose monos sinking is to be expected and accepted.

Except Slugs boat. It will never sink or flip, its hard to do that to Shilos (think Neil diamond)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 14:25   #947

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
6 or 7 is more like it. Geez I saw photos of more than 2 or 3.

But I suppose monos sinking is to be expected and accepted.

Except Slugs boat. It will never sink or flip, its hard to do that to Shilos (think Neil diamond)
What is wrong with you? I'm not saying monos are better than cats. My point was multihulls did flip in cyclone Debbie and monos did sink, I was there and saw the results, in fact there is even a sunk cat. My post was in answer to "I didn't see any flipped cats at Airlie".I didn't actually go and count the sunken monos or flipped multis, just didn't feel the need. Certainly weren't walking around saying" hey there's a flipped cat, see I told you monos are better". And as cc44 pointed out, sustained 150k winds will be a problem regardless what type of boat you have.
Chill, it's OK, I like the your preferred choice of boat.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 04:31   #948
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
What is wrong with you?
Plenty
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 05:37   #949

A new system called servo prop. Seems very interesting with the self adjusting prop. Can regenerate a lot of energy

INTRODUCING OCEANVOLT SERVOPROP - VARIABLE PITCH SAILDRIVE - Oceanvolt
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 05:55   #950

Boat: Valiant 42

When I went to university engineering courses we did not learn about energy measured in units of "a lot". How many ergs are there in a lot these days?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 07:46   #951

When I went to University, I was taught to dig information and not to be lazy doing that. This screen shot is at the end of video.
Good idea but pricing is by far not user-friendly. Usual BS "marine mark-up".

ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:40   #952

I must have gone to the wrong university. I learned that someone trying to sell something should explain how their product is useful with clear specifications and costs so anyone can compare it with a competitive solution. I should not have to “dig” for the data.
Old 27-12-2017, 14:37   #953

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I must have gone to the wrong university. I learned that someone trying to sell something should explain how their product is useful with clear specifications and costs so anyone can compare it with a competitive solution. I should not have to “dig” for the data.
I guess you went to University a long time ago, and so did I, but nowadays they have this thing called the Internet where information is easier to find, and you don't even need a shovel.

Which competitive solution are you wanting to compare?

For instance, 30 seconds using this thing called "Google" (whatever that is) found that one such competitive solution is the Watt & Sea hydrogenerator, and using their top spec'd unit generates 600 watts at 12 knots boatspeed and costs about $23,000 USD. That is it's maximum output, by the way.

The SD10 Servoprop generates 4,500 watts at 12 knots and costs about $23,000 USD. That is NOT it's maximum output. That is 7.5 times the output capability. Just for comparison sake.

So to help you with your comparative shopping, the Watt & Sea 600 would cost you $38.33 per watt generated,while the SD10 Servoprop would cost you $5.11 per watt generated. Or, put another way that is perhaps more meaningful and useful, it takes the Watt & Sea about 10 times longer to replace the energy into your batteries, compared to the SD10 Servoprop.

Wasn't so hard, was it?
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 14:54   #954

Correction to my last post. The Watt & Sea 600 (race) price listed is about $17,000 USD, not $23,000. So that lowers it's comparative cost per watt down to $28.33 per watt. A real bargain!

Of course, that is all it does, generate power.....while other solutions can also drive the boat.
Old 27-12-2017, 15:05   #955

Boat: PT-11

I wonder what the drag is? Probably make getting to 12 knots on a regular basis difficult.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 15:10   #956

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
I wonder what the drag is? Probably make getting to 12 knots on a regular basis difficult.
The drag on the boat would be at least the same as a 9.9hp (probably a 15hp) outboard running full out in reverse. So, if your boat/sail plan can do 16kts, you may be able to maintain 12kts.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 15:41   #957

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
The drag on the boat would be at least the same as a 9.9hp (probably a 15hp) outboard running full out in reverse. So, if your boat/sail plan can do 16kts, you may be able to maintain 12kts.
Oh yeah, for sure. At LEAST a 9.9 in full reverse. It's actually more like throwing a parachute anchor out the back, that has several JSD's streaming from it. It is designed to actually be a drag device, because they think there are enough stupid people out there that will just believe all the marketing BS.

Boy, wasn't Conrad Coleman stupid for using one in the last Vendee Globe? What an idiot! He said that any drag was undetectable, but he must have been severely deluded or gone waco out there in the Southern Ocean, being all alone and all. Jeez, you would think a solo round the world ocean racer would care about having excess drag on his Imoca 60, but apparently not.

And rumour has it that there are even more ocean racers that are going to make the same mistake again. Go figure.
Old 27-12-2017, 15:50   #958

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Oh yeah, for sure. At LEAST a 9.9 in full reverse. It's actually more like throwing a parachute anchor out the back, that has several JSD's streaming from it. It is designed to actually be a drag device, because they think there are enough stupid people out there that will just believe all the marketing BS.

Boy, wasn't Conrad Coleman stupid for using one in the last Vendee Globe? What an idiot! He said that any drag was undetectable, but he must have been severely deluded or gone waco out there in the Southern Ocean, being all alone and all. Jeez, you would think a solo round the world ocean racer would care about having excess drag on his Imoca 60, but apparently not.

And rumour has it that there are even more ocean racers that are going to make the same mistake again. Go figure.
Over power the boat to compensate, it works well. Not normally the case with cruising boats.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 16:00   #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Over power the boat to compensate, it works well. Not normally the case with cruising boats.
Actually, no. It has very little drag. Not NO drag, but very little. On a cruising cat sailing at 6 to 7 knots, with BOTH Servoprops in regen mode, you MIGHT see a quarter knot difference, if you can measure a quarter knot. I spoke to an owner recently who saw no difference whatsoever, but what would he know? He only had 3 different GPS units.

But to understand why, you'd have to understand how the Servoprop works, and I do understand you don't really want to know or to understand. Not like those judges at METS who gave it the DAME award, and who actually try and understand the technology before giving out awards like DAME.

It's all been explained before on CF, but I suspect you already knew that.
Old 27-12-2017, 16:16   #960

So are you claiming 9kW output at 12kn with little to no drag?

Tags
motor