Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2019, 08:57   #1921

Re: Oceanvolt Hybrid Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
just as another price point, OceanVolt did a quote for our boat, replacing two 40hp yanmar engines, price for the sail drives $33,000(approximately price of two new diesel engines); Price for batteries, $16000 (vs $2000 current setup); price for generator, cables, control, propellers, $35k. So looking at around $84k, before labor. I imagine labor for removing the old engines, redoing the engine compartments, etc probably at least $11k. Maybe 95k in total. Range under batteries alone would be about 40 miles at 4 knots, generator would be obviously much much greater.

As with most things Marine, the pricing for Yanmar marine diesel engines varies dramatically depending on which dealer you purchase from.

By way of example:
YANMAR 3JH40 marine diesel engine 40hp – Gelangan Marine

YANMAR 3JH40 MARINE DIESEL ENGINE 40HP
YANMAR
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
Spec Value
RATED OUTPUT 29.4 kW / 40 mhp
RATED SPEED 3000 rpm
DISPLACEMENT 1.642 L [100 cu in]
CYLINDERS 3 in-line
BORE X STROKE 88 mm x 90 mm
TYPE 4-stroke, vertical, water-cooled diesel engine
EMISSION COMPLIANCE EU: RCD 2, BSO II, EMC. US: EPA Tier 3.
WARRANTY 2 + 3 year extended warranty

$4,740.00
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 15:18   #1922

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

A brand new 40HP Yanmar engine with controls and gauges for less than $5,000 USD? Really?

If thats true, it shows how much we are getting gouged in Australia, because they are A LOT more than that here.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 09:38   #1923

I think i know the answer but, if an oceanvolt cat was out of fuel and trapped in the doldrums, could solar alone push her even at 1 knot during the day until the wind came back?
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 09:56   #1924

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDChristian View Post
I think i know the answer but, if an oceanvolt cat was out of fuel and trapped in the doldrums, could solar alone push her even at 1 knot during the day until the wind came back?
I don't know the answer, but it would go faster than a non-oceanvolt cat without fuel
Old 30-11-2019, 10:02   #1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
I don't know the answer, but it would go faster than a non-oceanvolt cat without fuel

Only when the sun is shining....
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 11:05   #1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
On such a cat you would have 2kWp, may be 3kWp solar power installed. So, let's say n the doldrums you get 1 kW average. This is a much power as the Torqeedo Travel outboard has, which is an equivalent of about 3hp.
Definitely enough for 1 kt and more.
The hull resistance curve of an Outremer 45 says for 2 knots the requires power is 0.25kW only. So I guess even a lagoon would make 1 knot with 1 kW.
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 11:26   #1927

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
On such a cat you would have 2kWp, may be 3kWp solar power installed. So, let's say n the doldrums you get 1 kW average. This is a much power as the Torqeedo Travel outboard has, which is an equivalent of about 3hp.
Definitely enough for 1 kt and more.
The hull resistance curve of an Outremer 45 says for 2 knots the requires power is 0.25kW only. So I guess even a lagoon would make 1 knot with 1 kW.
That would be confidence inspiring to me
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 16:05   #1928

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post

Magic electric HP again?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 16:55   #1929

Boat: Valiant 42

For the umpteenth time:

One mechanic or hydraulic horsepower is equal to 745.699872 watts.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 17:31   #1930
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 17:46   #1931

Boat: Valiant 42

The use of the term "equivalent" in this thread is so far removed from the dictionary definition of "equivalent" as to be unrecognizable. It's becoming a comical farce.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 17:57   #1932

I see this comparison between hp and watts but what it sounds like from those that have gone electric say about the performance makes me wonder if there should also be more of a comparison of torque at different rpm when trying to compare performance on the water between a given ICE and an electric motor.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 18:02   #1933

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Magic electric HP again?
I still wonder why they don't use these wonderful motors to drive generators.

They claim 1 kW electric = 2.25 ICE kW. That would surely drive 1.5 kW generator, producing 500 W more than it consumes. Free power for life!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 18:09   #1934

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

A horsepower is 746 Watts BY DEFINITION. And torque and horsepower are related BY DEFINITION, through RPM - H = T * RPM/5252, for imperial units. There is no magic horsepower and no magic torque. A hp is a hp is a hp

Electric motors behave differently from IC ones - max torque occurs at 0 RPM, so you don't typically need a gearbox, and if you have room for a larger, slower turning prop, this can be more efficient. But we don't see this in rec boats. The "magic electric horsepower" are mythical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
I see this comparison between hp and watts but what it sounds like from those that have gone electric say about the performance makes me wonder if there should also be more of a comparison of torque at different rpm when trying to compare performance on the water between a given ICE and an electric motor.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 18:24   #1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A horsepower is 746 Watts BY DEFINITION. And torque and horsepower are related BY DEFINITION, through RPM - H = T * RPM/5252, for imperial units. There is no magic horsepower and no magic torque. A hp is a hp is a hp

Electric motors behave differently from IC ones - max torque occurs at 0 RPM, so you don't typically need a gearbox, and if you have room for a larger, slower turning prop, this can be more efficient. But we don't see this in rec boats. The "magic electric horsepower" are mythical.
Thanks for that but perhaps I wasn't being very clear. I know that there is a direct relationships between hp and watts and I know that there is a direct relationship between torque and power. I never suggested otherwise and I never mentioned any "magic electric horsepower". What I was trying to suggest is that there should be more consideration given to the different torque characteristics at different rpm of an ICE and an electric motor in a given use case scenario to help people understand how a boat may perform with the different options as just looking at a max hp or a max kW figure doesn't tell the whole story.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor