Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 12:21   #61

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955
Re: Oceangoing for under $1000

Back in the 80s a Greek guy named Jason sailed around the world with his partner a German lady on a 5 meter wooden sailboat (14 feet) which he found abandoned on the beach with a Johnson outboard 9 HP he got for free. He sailed the " wrong" way sailing East instead of west started from East Med down to the Red Sea Indian Ocean Pacific Panama Atlantic Gibraltar and landed back at the East Med .

Couple of years later he did it again with a rescued 21 footer

So everything is possible, not that I recommend it though

I met the guy in person one day while he was selling his book with the description of the crossings
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 13:12   #62

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
They didn't use outriggers for ocean crossing. Outrigger canoes were mostly for local work. They used voyaging catamarans which were much larger and more substantial.
Right you are! And there's one currently doing a circumnavigation. My wife and I had the delight of stepping aboard when they visited Pago Pago. The crew held Q&A and tours while explaining how they navigated without instruments {No GPS for THESE folk!} and how the vessel was built & how it's sailed. Fascinating stuff.

See: Hokulea — Polynesian Voyaging Society
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H?k?le`a. Polynesian Ocean Going Canoe.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	125590   Click image for larger version

Name:	H?k?le`a. Polynesian Ocean Going Canoe - 02.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	125591  

svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 13:55   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post

24.99 at target.
Nick now that you found a new liferaft give me your old dirty one
Old 05-06-2016, 14:09   #64

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

The ones that were successful in a scheme like this(didn't die and disappear) are the ones you hear about. All the best stories come from the people who never survived.

Make bunch of them, and launch them. Some of them will actually make it without drowning.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 14:11   #65

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
Back in the 80s a Greek guy named Jason sailed around the world with his partner a German lady on a 5 meter wooden sailboat (14 feet) which he found abandoned on the beach with a Johnson outboard 9 HP he got for free. He sailed the " wrong" way sailing East instead of west started from East Med down to the Red Sea Indian Ocean Pacific Panama Atlantic Gibraltar and landed back at the East Med .

Couple of years later he did it again with a rescued 21 footer

So everything is possible, not that I recommend it though

I met the guy in person one day while he was selling his book with the description of the crossings
He probably sneaked out, hung out somewhere for the time period, and then cam back to port and claimed he did it.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 15:22   #66

Boat: Tartan 37

I would go for a cheap sailboat in the mid 20's, you can get out of the weather for a few hours a day, carry more stuff. Can't even think of what happens, when a breaking wave hits a canoe with stuff lashed to it. Just go around the marinas and ask the dockmaster who's not paying the bills. There were two boats offer for free last year, one was capable of a milk run.

I've done long runs (125 miles) with Hobie 16s in the '80s and a beach cat should not be an option. The canoe with outriggers can't carry any more and certainly not as strong.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 18:07   #67

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

In the hurricane you can just sink the canoe with outrigger and survive in it that way in bad weather as the breakers go completely above you. Then bail it and sail in calmer conditions.

Most of the time you just sail around the bad waves since you have superior maneuverability compared to larger vessels.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 18:17   #68

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
In the hurricane you can just sink the canoe with outrigger and survive in it that way in bad weather as the breakers go completely above you. Then bail it and sail in calmer conditions.

Most of the time you just sail around the bad waves since you have superior maneuverability compared to larger vessels.
Yeah, right... SAIL around the bad waves in a cyclone in your outrigger. That seems like fantasy of the first order, mate. And sinking the boat so that the waves go over you??? Seems like your stash of toilet paper might get too wet to use, along with all your other gear.

We've only been at sea in one Cat 1 cyclone, and neither of those options would have worked then. I doubt if they would be better advised in a more severe system.

I know that you are a successful advocate of simple and small, but this advice is preposterous IMO.

Jim
Old 05-06-2016, 18:24   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Guys let me tell you when you are in the blender not much will help you you just batten down strap in and wait for it to end. ( Been thru several typhoons )
Old 05-06-2016, 19:20   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
I am REALLY glad his legislative effort failed!

The reality in an effort like the one described by the OP is that it depends much more upon the ingenuity, determination, experience, etc. of the person attempting it, rather than on the "vessel". A Hobie cat has made it across the Drake Passage to the Antarctic. Lots of tiny boats have made all sorts of trips. A Mexican made it from Mexico to the Tuamotus in a Finn (didn't eat much food, either. He gorged himself for weeks prior to the trip, and more or less starved himself all the way across). John Neal, the highly regarded sailor who, with his wife Amanda, have trained lots of blue water sailors, made his first trip to Hawaii with very little experience on a very basic Albin Vega. He had no idea how to navigate and taught himself celestial on the way across.

There are far too many people who judge others' skills and desires by their own and decry anything remotely risky, particularly in the good ol' US. And then earnestly try to legislate the efforts of others out of existence.

The most dangerous thing any of us does is to get into a piece of metal and hurtle along at 80 miles an hour, five feet from someone else, doing the same thing while maybe drinking or texting. If someone had come up with that idea in the present, instead of over a hundred years ago, it would never have been permitted. But, we don't worry much. The risks one is comfortable with has a lot to do with what one is accustomed to.
I agree with you 100% there's over 100,000 deaths on our highways annually and nobody gives a hoot about hopping into a car. If cars were invented today, they would not in a million years let you put something as dangerous as gasoline into a 20 gallon tin can strapped to it.
I love when someone has the balls to prove to all the Pussy's out there that a real man can do anything when he puts his mind to it.
I say how dare they even try to make adventures like this illegal . There was 4 deaths on Mt Everest last week and they aren't talking about shutting down the mountain , Even when they lost 20 sherpas last year in an avalanche.
People need adventurous people to show the rest of the world what can be done with very little resources.
Nobody gains any respect from anybody when they cross the Pacific Ocean in a 42 foot ketch with the Diesel engine running half the way, along with a cook in the galley and a deck crew. There's no risk in that method. No Risk = No Reward.
Thats plane and simple. There is a guy that sailed a 10 foot open sailboat right around the world.You should read his story. you can Google it. I'll take my hat off to show him respect if I ever have the honour of meeting him in person.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 19:42   #71

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Nick now that you found a new liferaft give me your old dirty one
I think the one I have will clean up just fine.
Old 05-06-2016, 19:46   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think the one I have will clean up just fine.
But your old one doesn't have a sail
Old 05-06-2016, 20:24   #73

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
But your old one doesn't have a sail
I know it runs on a pull string and dead dinosaurs...
Old 05-06-2016, 20:33   #74

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post

Nice image... especially at night. Ah, a nice restful night in a lovely tropical evening, soft breezes and cool spray misting gently over you...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 20:53   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I know it runs on a pull string and dead dinosaurs...
Thread hijack
Nick now that you bought the 1966 spencer you need to join the classic plastic group
Hijack over