Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2007, 23:34   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
NZ trimaran hit's whale. WHALE WINS.

Whale that wrecked boat 'seemed sorry'
Old 10-01-2007, 00:05   #2

There it is! Definitive proof of the superiority of Monhulls as ocean going craft. Since only one hull was damaged, it follows that a mono would have missed the whale all together! Monos have a 50% lesser chance of being damaged in whale/boat collisions! (Or I suppose the only hull would have been damaged and the poor fellow would have waited 5 hours in a life raft.)
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:13   #3

Wait in a liferaft?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotphix
There it is! Definitive proof of the superiority of Monhulls as ocean going craft. Since only one hull was damaged, it follows that a mono would have missed the whale all together! Monos have a 50% lesser chance of being damaged in whale/boat collisions! (Or I suppose the only hull would have been damaged and the poor fellow would have waited 5 hours in a life raft.)
Prefer to take my chances remaining on a damaged cat than a liferaft.
josef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:00   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
"But to say they feel remorse or sorrow or anger? It's one of the things that separates humans from animals," he said.

The above is from the article. I don't know about remorse, but I have damn sure been around angry animals. I have seen animals that were certainly sorrowful or grieving. Extrapolating to a whale it seems likely to me they could feel sorrow or remorse. Whether we are capable of sensing that is another question. I'm going with the feelings of the guy on the scene at the time.

Cuttlefish and octopi demonstrate considerable emotion. Professor Barker is spending too much time with tube worms and sea cucumbers and not enough with gastropods or marine mammals.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:17   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotphix
Monos have a 50% lesser chance of being damaged in whale/boat collisions!
In this case a 66% greater chance of having missed the whale. The whale was probably waiting for lunch.

The reason why Commercial Whalers do not use multihulls is cos' they are easy to sink by whales. and big sharks. and giant squid. and stuff.

Scientific fact that.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:47   #6
bru

What interests me is that this is yet another example of a yacht being abandoned which hasn't actually sunk.

Is it that we just don't hear about the times when a yacht is damaged and the crew deal with the problem and make it back to port?

Or maybe I'm being naive in thinking that I'd do everything I could to save the boat and only abandon ship when all hope of keeping it afloat was gone.

In this particular case maybe the hull was damaged beyond any hope of salvation but when I read about boats being abandoned because of a damaged rudder when there's no danger of the boat sinking I must admit to being puzzled!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:26   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
So that's the reason commercial whalers don't use multihulls? Cause they will get sunk by giant squid! Thank god for scientific fact. The planet is flat and the sun revolves around the Earth.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 14:20   #8

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
The reason why Commercial Whalers do not use multihulls is cos' they are easy to sink by whales. and big sharks. and giant squid. and stuff.

Scientific fact that.
Come on mate , it's not just Multi's that get sunk by the giant squid.

I saw "Pirates of the Carribean II " and even those big 'ol pirate ships were being trashed by "The Kraken"

Dave
Old 10-01-2007, 14:22   #9
bru

Don't spoilt it, I haven't seen Pirates II yet!
Old 15-01-2007, 19:05   #10

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures

Hmmm, % risk of hitting things.. reminds me of the pilot who SWORE by single engine airplanes, because with a twin engine airplane, "there was twice as much chance of having an engine failure." Forget about flying in a Ford Tri-motor, you must be guaranteed to have one quit!

Let's face it, a whale will usually win in boats less than 100' long and 50 Tons weight, doncha think?
Old 15-01-2007, 19:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by otgadventures

Hmmm, % risk of hitting things.. reminds me of the pilot who SWORE by single engine airplanes, because with a twin engine airplane, "there was twice as much chance of having an engine failure." Forget about flying in a Ford Tri-motor, you must be guaranteed to have one quit!
So did this guy ride a unicycle? He really should have had one arm and one leg amputated also - half the chance of injuring one.....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 02:34   #12
bru

Look at this another way ... catamarans should be banned 'cos they pose double the risk to whales!

And as for trimarans!

Please note: this post is entirely tongue in cheek!
Old 17-01-2007, 13:01   #13

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
"But to say they feel remorse or sorrow or anger? It's one of the things that separates humans from animals," he said
According to my research the only thing that separates humans from animals is that humans will drink when they are not thirsty. I cheerfully celebrate my humanity on a regular basis.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 01:35   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Interesting to note that in the local paper (Brisbane Australia) the hull of an upturned power cat was found floating in the sea off moolloolaba. The report said "It is thought that this is not the NZ boat that was hit by a whale recently",

No sh!T sherlock - one was a sailing tri and the other was a power cat - gotta love journalists commitment to the detail.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 16:21   #15

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Factor,

I spent 11 years as a paramedic and as such was eyewitness to a lot of incidents that found their way into the news. Never, in 11 years did the print or TV media get the details right in any incident I was involved in. Not once. Makes you wonder how much, if any, of what we see, hear and read in the media can be taken at face value.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran