Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2019, 04:04   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
NSW / Tassie / SA Marinas

I am closing in on a boat which is currently in the Cyclone Zone in Queensland. I was originally hoping to get the deal done sooner and move it to Indonesia, but it will not be done until the end of October which is too late to move North, so I am going to go South and Bring it to Perth WA.

I can't do it in one jump due to time constraints, so I need a marina that can handle a 14M Cat and whose casual monthly rates are not going to bankrupt me where I can leave it for a couple of months.

Looking in NSW south of Coffs Harbour, Tassie or South Australia

Any advice is welcome

Thanks in Advance
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 05:14   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: NSW / Tassie / SA Marinas

UFO I am interested to see what replies you get. Usually the words cheap and 45 foot cat do not belong in the same sentence.
How much draft does your cat have?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 13:31   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

UFO, check out Prince of Wales Marina in Hobart. Also, RYCT (Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania) has moorings, if a mooring might suit you. If a mooring would be okay, there might be one at Kettering, too. For all of these, except RYCT you will need a hire car or Uber or taxi to get from there to Hobart...there is bus service, but at inconvenient times. One other note, Tassie is subject to strong frontal passages and strong winds. If you leave it on a mooring, for its safety, it should be prepared for 60 kn. winds, don't leave it as someone would who didn't expect over 20.

There are places around Sydney that will charge you for each hull, seriously, you take up two mono's spaces, and will be charged for that, as an acquaintance of ours discovered, to his disgust.

Ann
Old 29-09-2019, 21:02   #4
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
UFO, check out Prince of Wales Marina in Hobart. Also, RYCT (Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania) has moorings, if a mooring might suit you. If a mooring would be okay, there might be one at Kettering, too. For all of these, except RYCT you will need a hire car or Uber or taxi to get from there to Hobart...there is bus service, but at inconvenient times. One other note, Tassie is subject to strong frontal passages and strong winds. If you leave it on a mooring, for its safety, it should be prepared for 60 kn. winds, don't leave it as someone would who didn't expect over 20.

There are places around Sydney that will charge you for each hull, seriously, you take up two mono's spaces, and will be charged for that, as an acquaintance of ours discovered, to his disgust.

Ann

Thanks Ann. Sydney is definitely off my list due to cost. I would need to check with the insurance company if a mooring is OK - Probably not - knowing how restrictive Aussie Insurance has become.
Old 29-09-2019, 21:04   #5
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
UFO I am interested to see what replies you get. Usually the words cheap and 45 foot cat do not belong in the same sentence.
How much draft does your cat have?
Cheers

1.3M Draft - Almost like a Mono
Old 29-09-2019, 21:43   #6
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Usually the words cheap and 45 foot cat do not belong in the same sentence.
I was surprised in the massively differing costs for Marinas for the same boat - For example Townsville quoted $1100 per month whilst Darwin was $2800 per month both on a casual basis.

So whilst it will never be cheap I am trying to avoid the Expensive end - I feel that the money is better in my pocket than some random marina
Old 29-09-2019, 21:49   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

The main marinas in Adelaide are 35 South (where I am), Marina Adelaide and, further to the south, Wirrina Cove. The rest are either attached to yacht clubs or are handled privately/through real-estate agents.

Can't speak for prices for a big cat, but all are well run and pleasant marinas. Wirrina gives you great access to Kangaroo Island and Port Lincoln, Marina Adelaide very modern but is up a river so there's about 40 minutes motoring to reach the open water and 35 South is only a few minutes from open water and is currently getting lots of upgrades so will probably be quite flash in a year. (It's perfectly ok now, just very basic.)

Happy cyclone evasion.

Edit: given it is only temporary, check out Cape Jaffa Marina, I suspect they would be very good on price and would save you a day or two of sailing.
Old 29-09-2019, 21:52   #8

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann
Ann,

a) stop mentioning Prince of Wales please, it is terrific and I don't want it to be discovered before I stake my claim!

b) the whole two-hulls thing sounds about the same around Adelaide, from what I have heard.

Best marina prices I could find anywhere in Oz were all in Tassie, but I was only shopping for a mono, I don't know which of those had the facilities for multis.
Old 29-09-2019, 22:37   #9

We've some friends with a 50-55 ft. cat that RYCT found a berth for, a couple of times, but it depends on members making them available for the transients. For instance, at Sydney to Hobart time, they ask members to find alternate accomodatinos, to make room for the race participants.

Ann
Old 30-09-2019, 00:52   #10

Boat: Transpac 49

UFO,

Casual swing moorings can be had in Pittwater, SYD of all places.

A few years ago, I had mine on one for $200p/m. My monohull is 19t, probably heavier than yours, and from memory, the moorings must be checked each year.

Maybe an option?

Tim
Old 30-09-2019, 02:02   #11

Yes, Beashell's, Lovett Bay Marina. Not at all sure about availability, but relatively simple transport to airport from Pittwater.

Ann
Old 30-09-2019, 04:32   #12
UFO

Thanks Everyone
There's plenty for me to look into
Old 30-09-2019, 15:01   #13

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Get a VERY good map if going into Cape Jaffa and please don't follow the cray boats through the reef!!!
Stay well offshore out from Beachport too..... eats boats there...
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 15:55   #14

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Thanks Everyone
There's plenty for me to look into

Try Boat Works in Southport Qld. A boating friend now go there to antifoul and work on his boats from Sydney. He tells me there are excellent facilities and afforfable . I'm told you can also store your boat on the hard, less antifouling when you return.

07 55 000 000.

Let us know how you go.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 16:31   #15

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I am closing in on a boat which is currently in the Cyclone Zone in Queensland. I was originally hoping to get the deal done sooner and move it to Indonesia, but it will not be done until the end of October which is too late to move North, so I am going to go South and Bring it to Perth WA.

I can't do it in one jump due to time constraints, so I need a marina that can handle a 14M Cat and whose casual monthly rates are not going to bankrupt me where I can leave it for a couple of months.

Looking in NSW south of Coffs Harbour, Tassie or South Australia

Any advice is welcome

Thanks in Advance
You should not overlook the Wyndham Harbour Marina in Werribee South, Victoria. I’d be happy to talk to you about it. We have been here since March 2019.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas