Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 01:55   #31

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.
Re: NSW / Tassie / SA Marinas

We need more info from those that have sailed E to West across the bite.
I have not sailed across & never will but all the times I drove a semi across both ways I could coun t on one hand the n umber of times I had an Easterly tail wind.
All the GreyNomads always go anti clockwise around the country for a reason.
HM kms a day can you do into a 25knot headwind?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:47   #32
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Thanks I'll look into that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hello UFO,
a couple of things. One is a publication called Robs passage planner. Listed in the publication are a large number of marinas from Cairns all the way down to Tassie. It has all the contact details plus a diagram of the marina. It is not an exhaustive list but you will get a good idea of what's where plus a contact details.
The second thing is there are plenty of private moorings for lease by commercial operators. Here in Lake Macquarie I know of several owners of commercial moorings where you can leave you cat for months at a time. I don't know what you consider expensive. Its a relative term for the area you are in. I have a Lagoon 440 currently berthed at Trinity Point Marina on Lake Macquarie. I consider their rates quite competitive given their services and the fact its a new marina. Very protected from all winds.
If you want to know how fast a Lagoon 440 will go, head to youtube and check out Cat Impi. I think you will be surprised at how fast they can get up and go given a suitable breeze. With the right breeze 200 nautical mile days are well within reach (or close to) I have not put my boat through its full paces yet but she easily sails at 8 knots in 15 knots breeze on a broad reach. The 440 is no racer but she's no slacker either and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with their performance.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:49   #33
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebubble View Post
Hi UFO, I have an 18mtr x 9.5mtr berth at Heritage Point Marina North Haven in Adelaide currently available, we own the berth and had our 50ft cat berthed there, great access to and from the gulf St Vincent, $560 per month, as we are now on the east coast of Aus and not returning the berth is ready, if your interested.

Regards Rod Lewis

Depending on schedule and how far I make each jump, I may well be in touch with you - Thanks
Old 08-10-2019, 02:52   #34
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
We need more info from those that have sailed E to West across the bite.
I have not sailed across & never will but all the times I drove a semi across both ways I could coun t on one hand the n umber of times I had an Easterly tail wind.
All the GreyNomads always go anti clockwise around the country for a reason.
HM kms a day can you do into a 25knot headwind?

Just looking at Cornells' Ocean Atlas and February looks pretty good to me ;-}
Old 11-10-2019, 16:18   #35

Boat: Mumby Cybercat 48

We delivered a Lagoon 440 from the Marquesas. They do go well downwind.

Fremantle Sailing Club have a comprehensive summary of the GAB crossing on pages 52 and 53 of their excellent WA Cruising Guide. Find it at -

https://www.fsc.com.au/wa-cruising-guide/

- and it is "priceless".

SA is less well covered but Jack & Jude do have a downloadable SA Guide -

https://jackandjude.com/books/sa_guide/

and the Arriba blog has blog-gish notes -

https://blog.arribasail.com/p/sailin...australia.html

and some Anchorages -

SA Anchorage Finder

There is a 2015 Victoria "Cruising Victoria" guide in paper form and not priceless.

Currently we're sitting in the commercial marina at Port Lincoln waiting for the easterlies to ease for passage to Tasmania for which there are umpteen cruising guides.

The commercial portion of Lincoln Marina is inexpensive and berths are surrounded by huge steel fishing boats that provide great protection from the winter Southern Ocean storms.

Jeff and Anne-Marie
SY Kaitoro
Mumby Cybercat48
VJN4817
Zmtndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 16:57   #36

Boat: Careel 22 (long cabin)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thank you for this. I did not know about them. And they’ve got a special intro month deal going at the moment. I think I’ll be staying there in March to visit family in Melbourne, the rate really is very good.
Wyndham Harbour is well protected from all weather situations. Worth making contact with the management there. I found very reasonable prices and it is not far from both Avalon and Melbourne airports. Taxi trip etc. I find the management at Wyndham friendly to deal with.
Wanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 19:06   #37

Boat: Riviera 40

If you don't mind Queensland, I would suggest giving Hope Island Marina a call on 07 5632 0427.Very sheltered Marina, flushes with fresh water so minimal hull growth. Several big cats in there. I am sure you could get a Berth for well under $1000 a month, they may haggle a bit if they have a few berths available. Two excellent shipyards opposite, City Marina and Boatworks. My 14 metre berth at Hope Island was cheaper than storing on hard at Boat works.
auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 04:07   #38

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Don't understand the unreasonableness of some marinas. The same service and amenities, sometimes better locations etc. Speaking of marinas in Daytona FL and Seattle WA (others that I haven't dealt with) asks a reasonable and affordable $12,50/ft per month wet or dry slip, mono or multi. For my 44 Cat it is
I appreciate $550 *per month*.

Then you go to the Caribbean from BVI to St.Maarten and either you are charged around $100 PER DAY casual, or if you do long term wet slip or dry , hauling alone ranges between $450 - $1500 plus $75 per day storage totalling some $3850 pm for me.

Can't help but feel exploited. And let me add, NONE of the Caribbean yards looks anything like, or quality in the same category as the US mentioned marinas, yet their Caribbean counterparts charge 5 times more for less.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas