Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 19:45   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
North Channel Charter

Has anyone Chartered in the North Channel (Lake Huron)? if so, can you recommend a good charter company, and how do you get there? I've been looking at Gore Bay.. but, it's practically impossible to get there. any suggestions?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 04:31   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: North Channel Charter

Hi Scarlet, Gore Bay on Manitoulin Is can be reached from driving down Hwy 6 from the north thru Little Current and then East 35 miles. A very beautiful drive!
From the South you take the Ferry from Tobermorey to South Baymouth and then East 50 miles.
Again a very beautiful, interesting trip to and across the Island. By no means impossible and will complement a great experience.

The Gore Bay charter base and charming town puts you in the heart of the North Channel for very close destinations such as the Benjamin, Fox, Croker Is etc etc which are glorious! Highly recommended.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 05:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
Hi Scarlet, Gore Bay on Manitoulin Is can be reached from driving down Hwy 6 from the north thru Little Current and then East 35 miles. A very beautiful drive!
From the South you take the Ferry from Tobermorey to South Baymouth and then East 50 miles.
Again a very beautiful, interesting trip to and across the Island. By no means impossible and will complement a great experience.

The Gore Bay charter base and charming town puts you in the heart of the North Channel for very close destinations such as the Benjamin, Fox, Croker Is etc etc which are glorious! Highly recommended.

Bob
Do you know of a charter company there? I've reached out to Canadian Yacht Charters but having heard back.. don't know if they are still in business. Are there others up there? Also, regarding driving... we are coming from the U.S. (Kansas to be specific..) and were thinking that we should fly.. I'm understanding there is a small airport at manitoulin but, I can't find any info about it, nor flights in... would Sudbury be better? or Sault Ste. marie be better?
Old 13-06-2018, 06:25   #4

Boat: Catana 471

I do not know the current status of CYC so you will have to see where that goes. There used to be a charter outfit in Little Current but that demand shifted to Gore Bay. There were charter outfits in Georgian Bay, (Wiarton, Penatanguishine etc) that may still be viable.
I would recommend that Toronto would be the best,cheapest destination to fly into from Kansas but then you have logistics to get up to Gore Bay etc.
The cheapest, more simple option in some ways would be to drive direct from Kansas but of course involves a lengthy roadtrip.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 09:57   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

As I understand it the place in Little Current was owned by the son of the CYC owner, and they’re now back together, so I think CYC is the only option in the immediate area.

There is also Cosmos Yacht Charters on Georgian Bay, but they only have one boat available for bareboat and you would spend a chunk of your time just getting to and from the North Channel.
Old 19-06-2018, 05:45   #6

Well, contacted the Canadian Yacht Charter place, and I believe we are going to book a trip there. The cost is incredible considering the favorable exchange rate... they have 3 cats... so, a good choice, and it is probably one of, if not THE most gorgeous sailing spot in north america... i'll post back after the trip.

Tags
charter