Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-06-2015, 16:27   #61

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Noob question / Ten year plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post

So what is missing from the PDQ I linked? Why is it not suitable?
The main problem with a PDQ32 is in my view payload. the pdq is short with slim hulls so she is not made to handle the payload you need.
Second is the two double cabin layout. For long term cruising at least our kids need time and space for themself.

We have a Mahe 36, with much wider hulls for more payload and 3 double cabin layout. For a cat I think this pretty much the minimum to cruise long term as a faimly of 4 for us. Of course its doable on smaller boats but the choices below 36ft are few for production cat and one has to sacrifice a lot of comfort to go cruising in a cat that small. For example we looked at a Gemini and a FP Maldives and could not make this work for us, even though the price was a fraction of our Mahe.
If you want to consider a mono is a different thing. I would not but the majority of cruisers are on monos and happy.

if you look at our Mahe your 150k USD budget sounds OK if you can find a bargain. Our 2007 Mahe was less than that, even after adding expensive things like heating, watermaker, hardtop bimini, inverter and lots of solar.

Old 28-06-2015, 14:59   #62

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Hblask, if you haven't found my blog or my YouTube channel by now, you should go to the blog and read from the beginning....I know exactly what you are going through and yes, it scared the hell out of us when things started to fall into place to buy the boat. But when you sign over the check that actually buys the boat (we paid cash for ours...well, actually it was a cashier's check) its the hardest decision we'd ever made.

But sitting here in St. Lucia, having sailed somewhere around 1700 nautical miles - all the way from Key West where we bought the boat...something like 12 countries along the way...and memories that can't be had any other way..we don't regret it a bit - its been a blast and I'm excited for you.

Here's the blog: Catchin' Rays
www.youtube.com/kevtamus

Kevin s/v Catchin' Rays

Old 28-06-2015, 20:31   #63

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamoron View Post
Hblask, if you haven't found my blog or my YouTube channel by now, you should go to the blog and read from the beginning....I know exactly what you are going through and yes, it scared the hell out of us when things started to fall into place to buy the boat. But when you sign over the check that actually buys the boat (we paid cash for ours...well, actually it was a cashier's check) its the hardest decision we'd ever made.

But sitting here in St. Lucia, having sailed somewhere around 1700 nautical miles - all the way from Key West where we bought the boat...something like 12 countries along the way...and memories that can't be had any other way..we don't regret it a bit - its been a blast and I'm excited for you.

Here's the blog: Catchin' Rays
www.youtube.com/kevtamus

Kevin s/v Catchin' Rays
I watched all your videos a while back and showed them to my wife, I think it's one of the things that really got her pushing for this sooner rather than later.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: