Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 09:20   #1

Noob - fly bridges, hull shape and cat. history

Hello all.

Great to make my first post here, I have been on the forum a number of times, but figured I would post something and learn a bit.

I don't have a Cat. nor will I in the next 5 years, but I hope that I will be able to own one at some point in my life.

Currently I have a 26 foot mono (macgregor 26) that I use for inland lake sailing ( I live in calgary, no oceans).

So a few things I was wondering.

Firstly what are teh smallest cats that have a fly bridge - I want to learn more about them, watch some youtubes and such. I hear the biggest advantage is sight lines, and the biggest disadvantage is that it requires a higher boom.

Another thing I was interested in is the hull designs. It seems , much like mono hulls, they have gone from angled front, to flat front (I think this is sometimes called wave piercing design). and the hulls have become more "square like" in their cross sections. I ahve also noticed a trend to move teh mast farther and farther back, useing small mainsail, and larger head sails. When did these changes happen, late 90's?

just as a day dream - if I want a cost effective cat (used) had a fly bridge, but a more "modern" design. for coastal cruising, preferably with the galley not down in a hull , what sort of modles could I look at?

Thanks all.
-keep on swimming.
kevinnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 08:26   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Noob - fly bridges, hull shape and cat. history

The Lagoon 440 is about the smallest cat with a true flybridge and they ain't cheap. Smaller cats like the L420 may have a raised helm like a semi-flybridge. Real flybridges are just to tall for anything much smaller.
The aft mast thing has been around a long time (see the Prouts) but is becoming popular in newer cats. The L39 is just a few years old and most with this feature will be very recent as well.
The vertical bow is almost standard on most cats. It does give you a longer waterline which is supposed to be good for pointing, buoyancy and speed.
Old 29-03-2014, 08:56   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44

Hi Kevin

Full, flybridges do give a better view, but IMHO have some serious drawbacks.
- you are VERY exposed to the weather. Not a huge issue in the tropics on daysails, but it is everywhere else

- if you are short-handed, getting from the flybridge to the main deck is an obstacle

- you will be completely cut-off from people on the aft deck or galley

- if you need to get to the boom (or rather, when you need to get to the boom), it will be a looong way up.

- finally, on a smaller cat, the extra windage is an issue

We had originally looked at a L440 or 450, but eventually discounted them because of the above.

We opted for the FP Helia 44 which was the first of the FP boats with the new partial flybridge. It doesn't give you the same lines of sight as a full fly, but this is only an issue when docking port side-to. The lines of sight around the boat are perfect - you can even see into the galley from the helm. You are literally on the main deck, so you can easily tie up stbd side-to single-handed. The design was so successful that FP have now copied it into all their bigger cats.

I think that the Helia, at 44' is the smallest cat with this arrangement.

We have a few videos on youtube (look for 'MapleCookie sailing'), and lots of photos on our website, MapleCookieYacht.com.

Regards

Pete Williams
Halifax, NS
NSfooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:02   #4

thank you both for the comments, I watched a ton of video, and even found yours pete!

It seems that on designs without fly bridges the helm is on the wall at the back of the cat. This just seems so odd to me (not that I have a better solution" but it seems like you are steering while looking at a wall. Sort of like driving a car from the trunk. In practice is this odd to do, or is it pretty natual, is auto pilot used alot?

Kevin.
kevinnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:13   #5

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Talking of flybridge's.
It's a little bit off thread but I hope some of you knowledgeable guys(& gals) can help. I've just bought another boat with a flybridge, I'm going to fit a bow thruster and I'm looking for a single lever engine/gear control lever incorporating a bow thruster control for easy manoeuvring.
I've seen a Teleflex CH 1750P that looks the business, has anyone had any experience with this, or any other unit ? It's shown on Discount Marine Supplies website but some members on here have a bad experience of them and I wish to avoid any problems, can anyone recommend another unit/supplier please.
I've looked in the UK chandlers but they don't stock them.
You help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:32   #6

Boat: Murena 30 1/2 tonner, Colvic Victor 41, Beneteau Blue 2

The CH 1750P is available in the UK
Sillette do them - a quick google should sort you out

Can't comment on any issues- I've never used one, but I've always found Sillette to be ok and happy to answer questions.

Have fun

Dwayne
Dwayne Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:43   #7

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Thanks for the 'heads up' Dwayne, I'll contact them to see if I can do a deal.
The reason I posted on here is that some of our cousins in the US can often buy things much cheaper than we can. ie. a new freezer door for my Isotherm fridge was cheaper in the states including shipping, than one from the distributor in England, shipping was extra ! the favourable exchange rate is also a big plus.
Thanks for getting back promptly.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
history, hull