Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 01:20   #1

Newbie catamaran buying

Hi everyone, my husband and I are wanting to purchase a catamaran and retire on it, cruising the globe. Kids are scattered, one in California and one in New Zealand so there is purpose here and not just "sail away into the sunset" although that is on the cards too.
Our broad plan is to
1. Purchase our boat
2. Live aboard and sail her every weekend , getting to know her and slowly getting her ready to make some big crossings for say 6 months or so
3. Hubby still working and we still own our home, so during the week it will be back to the house and I will get everything ready to sell up
4.the main thing is having her in the marina so that we have access to sail every weekend as I said before, to get used to her and to the seas around us, including night sails and short trips up and down the coast

But, all the boats for sale, at least the ones we would be interested in are lying across in the BVI, or Ft Lauderdale or elsewhere. We are in Durban, South Africa and there are very few goods used boats for sale in our parts (even Cape Town). What is recommended/suggested if we see a boat we really like? What would the next steps be, apart from flying across to wherever to see her, have her surveyed and brining in her back to South Africa?
Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Nadineon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 05:46   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Newbie catamaran buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadineon31 View Post
But, all the boats for sale, at least the ones we would be interested in are lying across in the BVI, or Ft Lauderdale or elsewhere. We are in Durban, South Africa and there are very few goods used boats for sale in our parts (even Cape Town). What is recommended/suggested if we see a boat we really like? What would the next steps be, apart from flying across to wherever to see her, have her surveyed and brining in her back to South Africa?
There are used boats all over the world. Surely there are some in your area. But absent finding an acceptable one to you in your area, you have it pretty much right >> you have to find one elsewhere and have it shipped or delivered back to you. Otherwise you buy a new cat of which several builders operate in S. Africa.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 06:17   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Hi Nadine

Depending on your requirements - size of cat and wallet - there are good few available in Richards Bay and Cape Town
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 07:38   #4

Hi Blackie, how can we browse options for cats for sale in Richards Bay? That's just "up the road" from us but I haven't seen any from there I must admit.
Old 19-08-2015, 07:45   #5

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadineon31 View Post
Hi Blackie, how can we browse options for cats for sale in Richards Bay? That's just "up the road" from us but I haven't seen any from there I must admit.
Apollo Duck has a section for SA Boats for sale South Africa, used boats, new boat sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck and there have been a fair amount over the last 18 months in R/Bay. Not many cats on the list at the mo'
I have also been checking in Cape Town as I sold my cat 2 years ago and now sold my business and looking for another cat to sail towards mid next year.
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 08:10   #6

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Nadineon,

Another thought for you to consider. I have many SA friends who have done this- I understand the desire to want to gain experience prior to crossing the southern Atlantic, however, there are real advantages to buying a boat in the summer or early fall that is located in Florida or the East Coast of the U.S. First, Florida is loaded with boats and it is the best area in the world to do work. If you purchased in the fall you could sail between Florida and the Bahamas for 3-5 months(Bahamas is only an overnight), and figure out what you'd like to have done. Then sail back to Florida to have the work done and you'll still have 5-6 months to sail south. You'll save many, may thousands refitting FL, provisioning in Florida, and you will save yourself a long haul from South Africa to the Caribbean that will break things and require work in Trinidad or Grenada when you finally arrive.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 08:37   #7

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I think you need to sit down and do some planning.

Your first step is to come up with requirements. Are you looking for a comfortable cruising boat (i.e. Lagoon), or are you looking for a performance cruiser (i.e. Catana), or something in between (i.e. IS 40 or Leopard). What equipment do you want on the boat? How many should it sleep? How old are you willing to accept? How much work are you willing to do? ect. ect.

Once you have answered those questions, then you can sit down and make a list of candidate boats. Once you have a list of boats, then use Yachtworld to determine the likelyhood of a nearby boat. Its true that the majority will be in the Carribean, but there are other locations around the world with clusters of Cats. e.g. Turkey, Malaysia, France, Seychelles. Keep a close eye on the market and wait for the right deal to come up!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 12:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Coconuts View Post
Nadineon,

Another thought for you to consider. I have many SA friends who have done this- I understand the desire to want to gain experience prior to crossing the southern Atlantic, however, there are real advantages to buying a boat in the summer or early fall that is located in Florida or the East Coast of the U.S. First, Florida is loaded with boats and it is the best area in the world to do work. If you purchased in the fall you could sail between Florida and the Bahamas for 3-5 months(Bahamas is only an overnight), and figure out what you'd like to have done. Then sail back to Florida to have the work done and you'll still have 5-6 months to sail south. You'll save many, may thousands refitting FL, provisioning in Florida, and you will save yourself a long haul from South Africa to the Caribbean that will break things and require work in Trinidad or Grenada when you finally arrive.
Hmmm valid point to consider, thank you! However with a bit of luck she will be in sufficiently good enough shape and not need a refit or refurbishment. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
Old 19-08-2015, 13:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I think you need to sit down and do some planning.

Your first step is to come up with requirements. Are you looking for a comfortable cruising boat (i.e. Lagoon), or are you looking for a performance cruiser (i.e. Catana), or something in between (i.e. IS 40 or Leopard). What equipment do you want on the boat? How many should it sleep? How old are you willing to accept? How much work are you willing to do? ect. ect.

Once you have answered those questions, then you can sit down and make a list of candidate boats. Once you have a list of boats, then use Yachtworld to determine the likelyhood of a nearby boat. Its true that the majority will be in the Carribean, but there are other locations around the world with clusters of Cats. e.g. Turkey, Malaysia, France, Seychelles. Keep a close eye on the market and wait for the right deal to come up!
Traveller, thank you -
for us ,comfort and safety first. Looking at lagoon, maverick or Knysna 440 in the 44' to 50' foot range. No bigger otherwise difficult for a couple to manage. Age probably no more than 10 years I guess but definitely "owner version" and something that has been lovingly looked after and serviced regularly. Like a used car only used by a little old lady grocery shopping once a week (ha ha). She MUST be out there somewhere?
We are a (will be soon) retired couple, fit and very young in outlook. Kids (son in California) with two small children and daughter (New Zealand) and their two small children will be joining us periodically for short hols as we cruise about. That's the plan. Hubby very able and hands on, me? I can pass spanners and be a general help wherever I'm needed. I'm a mean cook and will probably be the best at night watches as my clock just works that way.
Old 19-08-2015, 13:29   #10

I have just read an interesting post by Jack Lahr on another thread, and I quote -

"Folks this site is the other side of my coin listing tips on selling an older sailboat. Here is where you can pile on with tips to get the right boat for you. Here are some startup suggestions

If you want to check out a candidate boat not geographically convenient , screen the boat ahead of time by buying say two hours of time with a local surveyor asking for a general walkthru and a telephone report. You will be delighted at how much you learn at a reasonable price. And look at the time you saved. Boat US has a listing of recommended surveyors around almost all US sailing venues.

If a broker is involved, confirm that the broker actually knows the boat, has actually been aboard recently ,

Lots of experience on this site-- pile on!"

Well that's a good plan if the boat isn't situated geographically conveniently nearby. Buying two hours or so of a boat surveyors time to do the walk through first and then report back telephonically makes a whole lot of sense. Could waste valuable cruising kitty funds to shell out for airfares if the boat isn't worth it!?
Old 19-08-2015, 22:22   #11

Boat: Leopard 48

There is a good looking Leopard 46 in Cape Town.....great yacht, many have completed round the world cruises.

2007 Robertson and Caine Leopard 46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 20-08-2015, 07:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenrms View Post
There is a good looking Leopard 46 in Cape Town.....great yacht, many have completed round the world cruises.

2007 Robertson and Caine Leopard 46 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Thank you Owen! Will follow the link and we'll check it out.

Tags
buying, catamaran