Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2014, 19:07   #16

Boat: between boats
Re: New vs. 1-2 year Old Boats - Currency Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
I do not know a thing about currency exchange but I do know what happened with my boat.

I purchased her new at a very good price, with every know factory option (she had been a demo boat for two boat shows) shortly before the factory raised the new boat price 20%. I then put many very expensive options on the boat in the first six months that I owned her. The dealer cost for those options was almost 30% of my purchase price.

At the end of a year I was offered 25% more for the boat than I paid the dealer for the new boat. That amount was slightly more than a currently new factory boat and was offered by someone that wanted a fully outfitted boat ready to sail away on a long distance cruise. He wanted a boat that was fully outfitted and tested by some long cruises over the period of months.

I did decline to sell the boat because I had put hundreds of hours of labor into those modifications.

Your discussion about currency exchange is interesting but is there a simpler answer?
The currency possibly comes into it via the factory raising the price 20%?

Dont know your details so its just speculation but the USD until this year has been depreciating heavily due to your FED printing endless cash. This creates USD cost pressures on a US built boat or raises the USD price of an import. As BB is onto this game is in reverse right now for how long who knows ie if you did it now it could well go the other way for you with the new boat price dropping 20% just after you bought (it happened here in Australia). Over 5 years or so you can probably ignore all this but over 2 years or so it can have a significant impact directly or indirectly.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 19:46   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: New vs. 1-2 year Old Boats - Currency Effects

The Russian fiasco will cause the Euro to slip because Germany is a big lender there. I suspect the dollar will be stronger some in the near to midterm at least. If you are a yank then agree to purchase that French built boat in Euros because the exchange rate will be favorable assuming that the exchange fees are not too dear.

Tags
enc