The leg to Chub was one of the longest you'll face in your trek down the thorny path (so I've heard). And we read that if you set up the night before in Gun or Cat, then it gives you a leg up on the cruise
And one thing that we've learned in our short time we've cruised is this: don't wait for good wind
....if you have a flat sea and no wind
, that's better than too high of winds and a shitty sea.
We kinda made the mistake after we got to Chub in our sail down to Rose Island in that we passed up on a calm and flat sea thinking that we'd wait for some wind that would help us sail down...and passed on a beautifully flat and calm day. When we did set sail, we did have winds, but also a rougher sea and had to fight with squalls throughout the day - so, I check passageweather.com and wait for a nice calm and flat day and hope to have some beam winds that help.
sailed to Chub from Gun and pulled anchor
at 4:30am and just watched our chart until the sun came up. We hoisted the sails
as soon as there was light and that helped about 1 - 1 1/2 knots and we made it to Chub at 3:30 pm.
Hope this helps.