Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 13:07   #1

New sails for Charter Cat. Help?

We have a 56' Fountaine Pajot and intend to run crewed week long charters on her next season in the usvi/bvi area. Currently in the thick of preparations and need to order new sails. Specifically looking for recommendations on sail cloth weight and other specific sails specs. Also taking suggestions for sail lofts be they local or overseas. Any suggestions?
auroradel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 13:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: New sails for Charter Cat. Help?

Were about in the world are you?

Given the size of the sails, you are probably looking at laminates to reduce the weight as Dacron with be very heavy.

Have you tried the local sail makers?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 17:54   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroradel View Post
We have a 56' Fountaine Pajot and intend to run crewed week long charters on her next season in the usvi/bvi area. Currently in the thick of preparations and need to order new sails. Specifically looking for recommendations on sail cloth weight and other specific sails specs. Also taking suggestions for sail lofts be they local or overseas. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the Cruisers Forum auroradel.
Is your boat a Marquises? If so I have one also.
I bought new sails three years ago in Marmaris Turkey. I've been happy with them but am not sure it was a good deal. They had a high VAT tax that I had missed on the quote. Anyway, it cost about 20,000 euro for the sails which were upgraded dacron with an offshore finish.
Old 14-04-2019, 01:04   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Is the boat already in the Virgins? If so then Doyle in the BVI is a great option. They made main and genoa, a couple of sail bags and also designed and made me a full cockpit enclosure.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 13:22   #5

It is a marquises! 20,000 E seems a bit steep. Even if we went local which I would prefer but still looking overseas. And isn’t Dacron a laminate? Or at least it can be right? Pardon me if I seem very ignorant, it’s because I am! But I appreciate the help.

And yes we are indeed here in the usvis now and are considering Doyle. Waiting for a final quote back from them but still looking around for cheaper options. Doyle seems great for sails you want to last 15 years but we may want to try something cheaper out for a few seasons before we tie the knot for life so to speak.
Old 14-04-2019, 15:12   #6

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
I had a good experience with Dave Calvert, he lives on and runs charters on his own cat, he designed for one of the big brands (UK Sails I think), now works independent and uses a variety of lofts for the construction of his designs. He was very helpful to me thinking through the cost, lifespan, performance tradeoffs. I have no financial interest, just a satisfied customer.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 04:57   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

You might consider something in St. Maarten as they really have the largest ability to supply marine stuff with no tax.

What year is your Marquises? What is the name of the boat? I've seen many over the years, maybe 11 out of the 50 built. Is the boat new to you? If so, feel free to ask me questions as I've had Palarran for 9 years now and know it intimately.

In regard to the sail, this is my opinion, but I would move all the reefing points one reef point up. The first reef was on the old ones and is on my new sails - worthless. It doesn't reduce the size substantially. I've actually taken off the clew block and only use the second and third now. The third is good for up to 40 knots, but would have prefered to have one more cringle that would allow a small bit of sail for winds in excess of that.

Also, I've replaced the large heavy Lewmar blocks with Antal rings - so much better and they are relatively inexpensive. Maybe consider changing the reefing lines around so that the most used two go to the two rope clutches that are closest to the mast and reef winch. It makes it easy to reach without crawling out on the bridgedeck roof.
Old 16-04-2019, 05:58   #8

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

Quantum sails in Nanny Cay Tortola made my mainsail last year and did a nice job as part of my purchase negotiation on my 45 Leopard. Owner is Kevin.

Quantum in St Thomas did an emergency repair when a charterer blew out my jib and I had a 24 hr turnaround for the next charter . I'm in St Thomas and Arun gets my business now. He is easier to reach and is open to your needs.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 09:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

Hi Auroradel,
We have made several sails for the FP 56 ft. cats doing charters.
We also ship to any of the Caribbean Islands from our overseas manufacturer at very good shipping rates. We use Durtek Sails, the manufacturer for Quantum Sails but, made using our multihull sail designs and US materials.
Multihulls this size are not the best candidates for dacron as the loads are very high. But, if cost is a factor, best to use top quality dacron materials, in the high cloth weights, with a 2 ply leech. Send me a message if interested.
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 12:30   #10

I think it's a 2001 Marquises 56'. And thank you! Indeed I might just contact you in the future with questions. We all have more than a few. I've been checking out St. Maarten and the quotes I got were comparable to BVIs. I'm not sure about tax here...? The best quote I've received in the Caribbean though is from Grenada. Also, I'm now thinking since we are charter we'll go with just two reef points.

And yes we are waiting on a quote from Quantum in Tortola currently, If they are priced decently they seem great.

And yeah Dave, Ill send ya a message right now
Old 17-04-2019, 14:52   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Is the boat already in the Virgins? If so then Doyle in the BVI is a great option. They made main and genoa, a couple of sail bags and also designed and made me a full cockpit enclosure.

Definitely agree. Doyle Offshore are very nice sails, and very durable. My first set lasted almost 14 years. I am now on my second. Doyle BVI handles everything and the sails are made at Doyle in Barbados.

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, sail, sails