Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 23:55   #31

Re: New owner

Thanks boys , think I will get both !! But will put off taking any just to see if we actually need them , then it will be the kwells ..
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 12:14   #32

Hi all , just quick update, all is good , picked up the boat in Rugen ( NE Germany , beautiful place ) few days of motoring into headwinds then fantastic day of gull wing surfing 14 knots down crests into Keil Cannal , total nite mate entrance with guys who don't give a **** about you or your boat, then pleasant motor throo , tbh not the most interesting places, then hectic sail / motor sail up to Cruxhaven with some big company !! , but industrial but very good , v cheap . Now I think 3 days waiting for decent weather to move on , boat is totally fantastic , sails brilliantly Nd manoeuvres like goncart under engines , parks like a pram in smallest busiest of places ,,, and , wifey is loving it , so as they say here , allies ist gut .
Old 30-06-2017, 12:22   #33

En route
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	150969  
Old 30-06-2017, 12:51   #34

Oh and , some very very choppy seas on first day out , both felt a bit queezy but didn't take tablets , since then despite some big seas both of us have been fine .
Old 30-06-2017, 16:40   #35

Boat: Murena 30 1/2 tonner, Colvic Victor 41, Beneteau Blue 2

Good to hear you are doing fine - I was hoping for an update.

Nice also to hear you are getting to grips with her and your experience pretty much mirrors mine. I hope to test the sailing ability soon

How do you get on with the odd throttle position or has yours been moved?

I see some GRP work in my very near future

Regards

Dwayne
Dwayne Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 17:12   #36

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Congratulations on your purchase and new adventures.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 23:12   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lister View Post
Good to hear you are doing fine - I was hoping for an update.

Nice also to hear you are getting to grips with her and your experience pretty much mirrors mine. I hope to test the sailing ability soon

How do you get on with the odd throttle position or has yours been moved?

I see some GRP work in my very near future

Regards

Dwayne
Hi D , throttle in same place as yours , yes a bit awkward as I have to look down to use but it is just so responsive when manoeuvring all other emotions give way to the elation of it actually doing what I want it to !!! I think your fibre glassing is only superficial ( I hope so !! )
Old 05-07-2017, 18:49   #38

Boat: Outremer 55L

Wow, this is just great hearing about your first experiences with your new boat. I'm thrilled that both you and your wife are loving it. Any day is a great day when you're with your boat. Sail on!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 09:32   #39

Boat: Murena 30 1/2 tonner, Colvic Victor 41, Beneteau Blue 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Hi D , throttle in same place as yours , yes a bit awkward as I have to look down to use but it is just so responsive when manoeuvring all other emotions give way to the elation of it actually doing what I want it to !!! I think your fibre glassing is only superficial ( I hope so !! )
Hi Cherod,

Hope you made it back ok - not heard anything from you lately.

We have moved ours from Brighton to Hayling Island - only 40 odd miles but managed to hit 10.5 knots

Currently ripping out all of the wiring as it's a complete bodge, but should be done with that soon. Wiring is easy enough, and she is a simple cat after all.
Could use a new main but will see how the finances are in a few week when I get done with the Interior linings and window leaks.
Yes all of the glass work is superficial

Cheers

Dwayne
Dwayne Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 12:54   #40

Hi DL , yes home safe thank you ( think I posted some on other thread ) passage was great , boat was amazing , weather was , well the weather and my wife was the star , she really turned her hand to everything and would not have managed without her . Only had a few hiccups , like first time I tried to take the main sail down in a bit of a blow !! after checking oil levels didn't fit dipstick back properly and threw out most ( but not all !!) of the oil , all in took 2 weeks , the trip from Cuxhaven ( fully recommend the wonderful LCF and their facilities ) to Peterhead took just 4 days diagonally across the N sea ( avoiding wind farms , oil rigs and variety of ships ) , averaged over 100 miles per day with best of 125 ( surfing down waves at 15 / 16 knots on run into Keil on the Baltic side ) put it up on the beach last weekend to check bottom and stern gear , all ok with just a little float on cutlas bearings tho no water ingress so be ok , Only real issue is the slamming under the bridge deck , really is very bad in any seaway , quite scary for my wife and me , at some points stuff on the saloon table was being lifted 6" in the air !!! but no damage , very hard to live with .. need a few things like hand holds and steps around cabin sides and top ,, sail handling in any motion is a bit scary , some optional electrics like radar chart plotter ais and radio , also I think my electrical system needs some overhaul as port side house battery stopped charging and I needed to buy jump leads for that , all know all well happy , glad you got out and enjoyed the boat , we will have to compare electrical rebuilds tho I think yours are a little more complex than mine , cheers Chrod
Old 24-07-2017, 00:58   #41

Talking Re: New owner

A few on route photos ,,,,,,,,,,,can someone tell me how to post photo from iPhone please
Old 01-08-2017, 22:23   #42

Quote:
... surfing down waves at 15 / 16 knots on run into Keil on the Baltic side ...
Isn't that awesome fun? Sweet as!

Quote:
... Only real issue is the slamming under the bridge deck , really is very bad in any seaway , quite scary for my wife and me , at some points stuff on the saloon table was being lifted 6" in the air !!! but no damage , very hard to live with ..
Noisy and uncomfortable yes, but not a safety issue. Our liquor cabinet is inside the saloon table support and we wrap all of our bottles in towels before it gets rough. The solution is to slow down - not as much fun for the crew outside but much better for those inside.

It takes a while with a new to you boat to learn the usual sounds she makes and to get used to them. After a while, only abnormal sounds should alarm you.

Quote:
... need a few things like hand holds and steps around cabin sides and top ,, sail handling in any motion is a bit scary ...

I recommend one or two handholds on the cabin top so you can always hold onto something as you leave the cockpit to when you reach the mast. Once you're at the mast you hopefully are OK to manage halyards and reefing lines. You don't need to go onto the cabin roof during normal sail handling, including reefing, do you? If so, fix that.

Also add a jack line that goes from each side of the cockpit along the cabin base and around the front of the mast - that way you can move to the mast and back on either side of the cabin without unclipping. If you ever need to get to your forestay, add another jack line from the base of the mast to the front beam along the centreline.

Just as for comfort, slow the boat down before going forward to handle the sails and you'll find it much easier. For example, if you need to reef your main, before going forward turn the boat enough into the wind and/or ease the mainsheet enough so that the main luffs (works better without thrashing the sail if it has full battens) and the boat slows down. The boat will settle down and sail handling should be easier.

The number one answer for safety and comfort - slow down.

And enjoy!
Old 01-08-2017, 22:37   #43

Quote:
A few on route photos ,,,,,,,,,,,can someone tell me how to post photo from iPhone please

If on your iPhone in the app, just click on the gallery icon just above the keyboard.
Old 01-08-2017, 22:40   #44

Hi Fxy , some interesting points there , particularly re the pounding on the bridge deck ,, I have been considering most of your suggestions so far just not getting opportunities to do anything !! Do you have a blue 2 or are these just general tips
Old 01-08-2017, 22:43   #45

Quote:
Hi Fxy , some interesting points there , particularly re the pounding on the bridge deck ,, I have been considering most of your suggestions so far just not getting opportunities to do anything !! Do you have a blue 2 or are these just general tips

I have an Outremer 55L - just a bit longer than yours but similar hulls and cabin profile but more bridgedeck clearance. It takes fairly nasty cross swells to hit the bridgedeck, but when they do everything jumps.