Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2019, 13:19   #31

Boat: Trimarans!
Re: New outremer model coming

Does anyone know the definitive difference between O55 standard and light? 60cm wider beam for Standard. Anything else?
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 14:25   #32

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
Does anyone know the definitive difference between O55 standard and light? 60cm wider beam for Standard. Anything else?

I think it’s actually 80cm increased beam but same hulls AFAIK. The cockpit is slightly shorter (the aft wall of the salon is back a bit) and the main salon is where you really see the extra width. Most of the Standards have queen berths inboard the daggerboard cases that use the extra room between the hulls and into the salon. On the Lights that area is a head or utility area. For both the escape hatches are there.

They displace an extra 1,000kg and have a taller mast and slightly bigger sails to compensate. Most Standards have a genoa, whereas most Lights have a self tacking jib/solent.

First generation Outremers from Atelier Outremer were semi-custom, with the original owner able to personalise the layout. Each boat will be slightly different. Plus of course subsequent refits as befits 15-20 year old boats.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 15:06   #33

Thanks, this seems clear!

In one place I saw that Outremers use vinylester below and polyester on top. In other sources it’s all polyester. Do you know the right answer?
Old 17-11-2019, 15:57   #34

New outremer model coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
Thanks, this seems clear!

In one place I saw that Outremers use vinylester below and polyester on top. In other sources it’s all polyester. Do you know the right answer?

Our boat manual says polyester throughout, solid below waterline and cored above. True or not regarding the resin I don’t know.

Correction regarding the Standard beam, it is 60cm wider (7.8m vs 7.2m). Mast is 2m taller. Main is 89m^2 vs 80m^2 and self-tacking jib is 39m^2 vs 35m^2. Lightship 8,500kg with 12,200kg displacement and 4,250kg loading vs 7,800kg lightship, 11,350kg displacement and 3,550kg loading. Not sure why the Standard loading can be more than the loaded displacement. Weird.
Old 17-11-2019, 20:14   #35

Thanks. Tika claimed vinylester, but they seem biased, even love the flat bows... http://www.tikatravels.com/the-boat/
Old 17-11-2019, 21:25   #36

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

I just can't imagine that Outremer would use polyester resin extensively these days. For the slight price difference, absolutely no reason to, especially on a million dollar plus boat. Vinylester is stronger, tougher, resists osmosis much better, is better for any infused parts, etc.

That would be pretty disappointing to learn they cheaped out by using polyester resin.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 21:35   #37

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
...Mast is 2m taller...
Curious how tall is your mast? Ours is 20m with 81m2 mainsail. All the drawings (including those in the original manual from 1999) reference the 55L (or even the 55 Standard!). I suspect there was indeed a fair amount of customization.

We sail with a reef in the main so much that there are times I've wondered if we need the whole stick - then the air goes really light and I'm glad to have the whole thing.

FWIW our manual says polyester throughout from 20 years ago, she had a peel and vinylester applied at age 15. That was just before we bought her so I didn't see the state before someone decided a treatment was needed.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 22:24   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Curious how tall is your mast? Ours is 20m with 81m2 mainsail. All the drawings (including those in the original manual from 1999) reference the 55L (or even the 55 Standard!). I suspect there was indeed a fair amount of customization.

We sail with a reef in the main so much that there are times I've wondered if we need the whole stick - then the air goes really light and I'm glad to have the whole thing.

FWIW our manual says polyester throughout from 20 years ago, she had a peel and vinylester applied at age 15. That was just before we bought her so I didn't see the state before someone decided a treatment was needed.

No osmosis on our boat but it was on the hard for 12 months before we bought and no moisture. We applied epoxy undercoating PDQ.

Rig diagram shows 19.5m from the deck, with the mainsail I dimension 17.9m. With a 6.4m foot and maximum round top roach the area is 80m^2.

Our first reef goes in with 20 knots AWS: later in flatter water and we want to play and earlier in waves. Basically, reef when the leeward shroud gets loose. We want to make it a bit deeper as it only goes to 27 knots AWS. So, deploy at 20 knots and hold to 30; that would be better for passages. Then each of our 2nd and 3rd reefs would be deeper and we’d have a smaller final sail (31m^2 now, 24m^2 would be nice).
Old 20-12-2019, 08:51   #39

I did not show any short view of the new interior yet and do think you will be amazed by the new design of the new model.

We wouldn’t make the step from our beloved L52S if the first designs hadn’t made us super enthusiastic...
Catgreatcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 14:15   #40

I've enjoyed watching your ARC videos. I'm amazed that you beat the O51 and O5X across the Atlantic. But so did the Bali - WTH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgreatcircle View Post
I did not show any short view of the new interior yet and do think you will be amazed by the new design of the new model.

We wouldn’t make the step from our beloved L52S if the first designs hadn’t made us super enthusiastic...
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 17:22   #41

The 5X arrived way before us but suffered from the heavy penalty for engine hours. The 51 had some bad luck, didn’t make the right choices in hindsight but probably was a bit to slow for the capabilities of the boat as well
Catgreatcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 22:52   #42

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wildcats View Post
I've enjoyed watching your ARC videos. I'm amazed that you beat the O51 and O5X across the Atlantic. But so did the Bali - WTH!?
ARC videos! Yo! Where? Link, please!
Old 20-12-2019, 23:53   #43

If they vacuum infuse these hulls with polyester resin that really surprises me. At Riviera we Infused the hulls of both the 44 and 58 sport yachts and found that Polyster resin had a much higher exotherm than VE and caused a lot of print through issues. Regardless nearly all manufactures will do a tie layer of CSM and VE first even if the rest of the hull lamination is with Poly. Cant imagine a quality driven company like Outremer would do any less than this.
HansChristian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 00:31   #44

Boat: Athena 38

Hi

I don't think these discussions change much really, but I'm going to add my two'penneth anyway.

I have an FP Athena 38 and have just agreed the sale of my FP Maldives 32. The Maldives has good accomodation for it's size and performance but is obviously not as comfortable as the Athena. Performance wise the Maldives is fantastic, 18.5 kts flat out and 7 or 8 on most days on the South Coast of the UK.

We are summer liveaboards on the Athena and find it perfectly acceptable although it is much smaller than an equivalent Lagoon or even a current generation FP. Looking at photos and speaking to someone who owns a Outremer 51 in our winter Marina it would appear that habitability on the two boats is about the same, though the running cost of the Outremer would be double. So do I miss the performance of the Maldives? Well yes both my wife and I do. Would we go back to Maldives and loose the space? No. Would we go for the same space and even better performance? You bet we would. Could we afford to do it? Sadly no, and I don't think I could persuade even my performance oriented wife to buy an older Outremer.

Performance wise the Athena is not bad and much better than current offerings from FP, we were faster over a 60nm open sea broad reach than an FP Saba 50 and that is a sad indictment of the current generation of cruising cats but she is still a bit sluggish in light airs. The magic of our Maldives was not the 18.5 kts but the 7s and 8s in 12 kts of wind. The problem is that even if I had the money I wouldn't buy one of the current generation of cruising cats. I have often been heard to say that if people don't care about the sailing qualities, let them buy power cats and leave the sailing boats to be influenced by people who want to sail.

So please Outremer, don't be influenced to follow the herd and keep building boats that I can at least dream of owning
Boatfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 05:47   #45

Boat: Carter 35 Ragtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgreatcircle View Post

Would you like to share the reasons why you decided to change from the L52 to the new Outremer? Thanx
xaxxo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, outremer