Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 15:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
New Outremer 52

I had a chance to sail a new Outremer 52 today. Here are my personal thoughts for those who are interested with this boat..
The one we sailed had every possible options you could buy with a price tag close to 1 Mio €. She also had rotating carbon mast, upgraded sails and famous carbon tiller... I had already sailed carbon mast catamarans including Gunboat but this was the first one with rotating mast..(I'll come to that later..)
As one would expect, for a 52 ft catamaran, the boat has slimmer hulls and relatively small saloon and cockpit. Overall volume could be compared to Helia or Lagoon 450.. The finish is OK but nothing exceptional.
The sea was rather flat , occasional swells around 30-40 cm max.
We were 4 on board all experienced sailors, the boat was pretty heavy and almost always trimmed the best possible way, with the exception of dagger boards which remained always fully inserted in water. I don't know how much this would have changed the outcome, but the skipper said "not much", so we didn't bother about them.During the test we just used the main an standard overlapping gib.
The speed over water display was not working, so real wind reading was not available.
The boat is fast but not as much as I thought she could be; AWA display was not calibrated but my guess she can go to 30 degrees if streched. We did around 9 kts SOG at this angle at 20-22 kts of AW. (Gunboat had given 11 kts at couple of degrees less AWA to compare with..With Helia or Orana we could have had 7,5-8 kts at 35-40 degrees AWA but much more leeway)
Rotating mast add 1 kt or so to the speed but has another advantage; much easier reefing the main. You don't have to turn to full wind and sometime even furl the gib to take a reef; you simply rotate the mast to the wind..
The boat sails to every angle pretty well, tack easily.

To summarize;
If you like cruising with yr wife, laid back with the beer in yr hand, this boat is probably not for you. She is very responsive to trimming, if you are lazy, she may only be marginally faster than an ordinary charter boat.
She is also not easily singhanded with two genoa winches apart from each other 5 meters..(This will be less of an issue if you call for self tacking small gib)
The deck equipment is the best you get in the market.
2X40 Volvo's are pushing the boat very well but I didn't like the electrically controlled gas levers; hyper sensitive.
The added 2 ft to the outgoing Outremer 49 seems to be paying dividends, the payload now is more than satisfactory.

The price seems to be in line with those of Catana of similar size.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 16:22   #2

Boat: Lightwave 45
Re: New Outremer 52

Hi Yeloya

Thanks for that. I will assume you are referring to the Outremer 51 here.

Possibly to overall volume is comparable to the Helia but it does not have island beds which is a requirement of the Admiral.

Now I like cruising with my partner, but I do not drink beer, and I am not lazy, however, based on this feedback and the feedback of many others I suspect that when you are navigating 2m swell and 1m chop these being prevalent conditions in the areas I plan to sail the performance benefit would be limited.

Do you have any plans to have such a boat in charter any time soon.

Chris
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: New Outremer 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Hi Yeloya

Thanks for that. I will assume you are referring to the Outremer 51 here.

Possibly to overall volume is comparable to the Helia but it does not have island beds which is a requirement of the Admiral.

Now I like cruising with my partner, but I do not drink beer, and I am not lazy, however, based on this feedback and the feedback of many others I suspect that when you are navigating 2m swell and 1m chop these being prevalent conditions in the areas I plan to sail the performance benefit would be limited.

Do you have any plans to have such a boat in charter any time soon.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Yes, it's 51, sorry for the mistype..
I agree on all of yr comments. However, the boat should handle pretty well the choppy seas thanks to slim hulls, high bridge deck clearance and very large trampoline area..
If I would ever buy it, I would probably use the small auto tackle gib when short handed..

Unfortunately we don't have this boat for charter but the owner is a friend; if you happen to come around I can try to organise a ride for you

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outremer