Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 21:18   #1

Boat: simpson 12
New nets from rope

Hi guys,

Im just about to put some new nets on my Simpson 12 cat and am looking to weave them myself from rope (as that is how the previous owner had done it and swears by it) and I was wondering if anyone else has done it that way and could give us some advice? So a few questions!

1. The old nets were from 8mm rope and we are thinking either 6 or 8mm - any thoughts?

2. what kind of rope would everyone suggest for this?

3. any tips on making it a painless process? the previous owner had the nets going on a diagonal pattern and I'm thinking to keep with this as it looks quite nice!

4. Does anyone have reasons why I shouldn't use this method for my nets?

I look forward to hearing advice!

Cheers,
Nic
surfynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 22:38   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: New nets from rope

When it strecht under weight you end with a hammock,..
Dynema can be a good solution since the strecht is minimal.
Good luck.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 23:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I can't even imagine the amount of work it would take to make netting for a 12m cat. If you are going to however I would recommend dyneema just for the uv stability. I doubt however it would cost much less than just buying them.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 02:21   #4

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

This was a common method, my Beach marine cat had this, the weave went fore & aft & athwartships at about 50-60mm centers, basic proceedure with this was to do the fore & aft first & then the across, under the catwalk the ropes were terminated with a simple bowline & a lashing/purchase of port to stb was effected with VB cord under the catwalk. These self woven "nets" were firm to walk on & cheap to make, would take a couple of easy days to make. I used "mini anchor coils" of 8mm polyprop for mine, very cheap... you could try net suppliers related to commercial fisheries, I buy from one at Sydney fish markets & great value & advice.

Regards from Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 05:20   #5
cruiser

knots. ouch to lay or walk on.

Get the knotless Dyneema from these guys and cut and finish yourself.
Knotless Dyneema from Net Systems
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 07:12   #6

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Heavy Duty Poly Cord in Stock - ULINE

No stretch, UV stable, flat cable. I have a roll of it to make a net for my 14ft cat, but didn't quite finish that dinghy cat, so have not made a web out of it yet. Need a sewing machine to sew the mesh points. I suppose you could weave it and reduce the sew points.
Old 21-03-2015, 08:53   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Starting Your Net-More than Fish and Hammocks

http://www.motherearthnews.com/~/med...ment%20jpg.jpg
Old 21-03-2015, 09:25   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

And how to retention when it stretches?
Old 21-03-2015, 13:52   #9

I've seen a few boats done this way, with 6 mm spectra.

Be aware though, it takes a LOT of rope!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 15:11   #10

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

In the seven years I owned the beach marine cat the woven net never needed retensioning, I feel that when I sold her the tramps still had a couple of years at least left in them, no knots, the deflection in the weave held the spacing, I think a resilient slightly stretchy under load rope was best, I can imagine but dont know if a similar job done in spectra wouldn't transmit higher individual attachment loads.

This is where I get my supplies from, in recent past have fitted hundreds of meters of netting to ship guardrails & similar, very fair dinkum on service & pricing.
They have had some real nice black conditioned synthetic line, used a few km of that in 10mm.
I'm sure our West coast has similar supliers.
Jeff

http://www.netandtackle.com.au/?page_id=89
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 16:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikikin View Post
This was a common method, my Beach marine cat had this, the weave went fore & aft & athwartships at about 50-60mm centers, basic proceedure with this was to do the fore & aft first & then the across, under the catwalk the ropes were terminated with a simple bowline & a lashing/purchase of port to stb was effected with VB cord under the catwalk. These self woven "nets" were firm to walk on & cheap to make, would take a couple of easy days to make. I used "mini anchor coils" of 8mm polyprop for mine, very cheap... you could try net suppliers related to commercial fisheries, I buy from one at Sydney fish markets & great value & advice.

Regards from Jeff.
Yes, i did a previous cat tramp like this, using 6 mm double braid. Replaced it after 10 years. Its the best tramp arrangement in my opinion. Low stretch, great to walk on, secure to work on, comfortable to lay on , and most importantly easy to lash stuff to ( spare anchors,dingy etc). The athwart ships runs naturally tension the whole shooting match up with the under over weave so it all ends up very ridged. Friction holds everything nicely in position.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 17:07   #12

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I just installed new nets by Sunrise Yacht Products in FL. They are web, not knotted. I've seen a lot of nets on multis over the years. My demands are probably different than yours, hence my choice of webbing rather than knotted line. First, my nets are tensioned as stiff as is possible. Coupled with the flat web, this makes for a surface that is stable and comfortable, whether you are standing on it trying to tame a tangled sail, pull kelp off your anchor, or simply relaxing under way, rolling over to reach out for a porpoise pet. Knotted nets (I'm not talking about the super tight dyneema products) are saggy, not especially attractive, and not very confidence building. But, they are cheap. My nets have larger spaces between the webs than a knotted net will have because the webbing is stitched together, making it impossible for the geometry to shift, trapping a foot or creating a tripping hazard. The tightly knotted dyneema nets make me a little anxious should I be taking wave tops across the bows. Mine will drain instantly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150319_164555689.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	99136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150320_113438543.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	99137  

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 06:14   #13

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I just installed new nets by Sunrise Yacht Products in FL. They are web, not knotted. I've seen a lot of nets on multis over the years. My demands are probably different than yours, hence my choice of webbing rather than knotted line. First, my nets are tensioned as stiff as is possible. Coupled with the flat web, this makes for a surface that is stable and comfortable, whether you are standing on it trying to tame a tangled sail, pull kelp off your anchor, or simply relaxing under way, rolling over to reach out for a porpoise pet. Knotted nets (I'm not talking about the super tight dyneema products) are saggy, not especially attractive, and not very confidence building. But, they are cheap. My nets have larger spaces between the webs than a knotted net will have because the webbing is stitched together, making it impossible for the geometry to shift, trapping a foot or creating a tripping hazard. The tightly knotted dyneema nets make me a little anxious should I be taking wave tops across the bows. Mine will drain instantly.
Dyneema nets are more open than web....the largest web nets I've seen are ~55% open, where dyneema nets are at least ~70% open. I wouldn't worry about drainage from a dyneema net.

All other characteristics are personal preference around how you use the net.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope