Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 08:36   #1

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
New Marples cruising tri .....

I recently had the opportunity to look over a new set of plans for a CC-40FC from John Marples design board. This was plan set #1. It looked like a very sweet boat to me.

She is 40 feet over all with a beam of 26 feet. All of the numbers seem to hit the sweet spot for a "cruising trimaran." It is definitely in line with his previous Fast Cruiser designs. Similar to the 37 and the 44 but with a bit more beam ratio and a good increase in Ama flotation when compared to his previous FC designs.

The lines are more of a "U" section and less of a deep "V." So in that sense this boat is more updated and may perform even better. That said it is still a Constant Camber boat. So I would guess that there are limitations in that sense. But it looked like an excellent compromise between the two shapes.

There are options for a center board and also a mini keel. And although I believe it is against John's philosophy for a cruising boat.... there is also room for a dagger board without intruding into the main cabin. I have to reemphasize that John did not design a provision for a dagger. It just looks like there was an effort to design in room for it if one wanted to go in that direction.

And in my opinion one really important factor for any cruising boat, especially a multihull, is a realistic payload capacity. This boat has a solid 3000# payload designed into the equation. Perfect for a live aboard for two or extended transoceanic cruising with an extra hand or two.

Bruce number is 1.25 with 100% fore triangle. She looked fast, capable, and comfortable to me.

Thought the multi hullers out there would be interested.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:41   #2

Re: New Marples cruising tri .....

Forgot to mention.........

I have no vested interest. Just interested in what I saw and thought I would share it.

Cheers.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:58   #3

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

I would personally prefer the FC version to the mid-cockpit version. If John's found a way to make the hulls a bit fuller, it should sail better. We briefly considered a couple of CC boats in the 40 and 44' range. There are very few cruising tris being built these days.

Cheers,
Old 12-03-2016, 15:12   #4

I agree. I like the FC configuration as well. It makes for a nice protected cockpit. And I think it looks better as well. I suppose it is true that designs evolve. And so one would borrow quite a bit from the next.

I think this boat uses the F-6 mold. Same as the CC-40 Mid Cockpit. Pretty sure that is what allows for a more "U" shape in the hull and it also eliminates the need for any extreme rocker in the design.

Like the 37 and 44 FC this boat also has an aft cabin. The cockpit is forward of that. Then a standard galley arrangement. A raised salon with two nice wing pod berths. Then a very large multi use space forward.....i.e. head/shower area, dressing, storage....etc. Forward of that is a large V-berth. So there is nice separation with two separate cabins and two good sea going berths when underway.

The design seems basic and simple which is a good thing in my mind. Just an honest and capable cruising boat. Good looking as well.

Old 13-03-2016, 13:51   #5

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I like Marple's designs as well. I like the center cockpit because it puts you where all the sail control for the mainsail is. I love his aft cabin used for cooking and dining. Are you thinking of building her yourself?

A funny thing it is. Back in the mid 90's when I was up to my neck in child support and survival I bought the plans from Ian Farrier for either a F31 or F9a trimaran. I had sailed F27 and F31 before and loved the design and practicality of these boats. Appealed to my racer mentality, simply load 'em on a trailer and plunked them in where you wanted to cruise next, and the cost wasn't too bad. The years wore on. Then I bought 3 houses that were really pretty old and in pretty rough shape. I taught myself from scratch how to do dry walling, carpentry, electrical, and minor plumbing. Got pretty decent at it. What did those skills set teach me? I am slow. I am too detail oriented. I am indecisive at times. I am too spontaneous at times. But what it taught me really is that for me to build that boat would take all of my time, energy, and money for 5 years...at least 5 years.

There are some very nice used boats that are really reasonably priced for cats and trimarans. Some are Marples CC, Jim Browns Searunners, Wharram good size cats, Nice cats that are not your French Size heavys...

I always wanted to do it..build one, ya know, but the window of opportunity ...I never opened that window. So, I will buy someone else's hard labor and enjoy my window of remaining time sailing.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
There are very few cruising tris being built these days.

Cheers,
You are right. Its a shame really. I think that around 40 feet or less the trimaran is an ideal multihull cruiser. I suppose you get up into the very large boats....... than cats might be a better choice.

Tags
cruising