Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-08-2016, 09:18   #16

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: New Leopard 40 vs Lagoon 42 for blue water

Our dealer has expressed confidence that they can find an acceptable solution to fitting an additional water tank, even with the generator. Still, I am taking notes on any ideas presented!

Old 01-08-2016, 09:40   #17
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Soon to be Lagoon 42'

[QUOTE=Jim Woodall;2179283]Matagorda:

Is the motor mount option only the composite mounting board or is it also the s/s rail. So, if you don't get the motor mount (a $1,000 option) no s/s rail? I thought the motor mount option was very expensive, but if it is the s/s rail and mounting board-much more reasonable.

Final thought:
We are exploring options to fit an additional water tank. We have gone with the generator and AC. Finding space for extra H2O will be a challenge. Even with a water maker 79 gallons is not much. Anyone with words of wisdom?

Cheers!

Hi Jim

In answer to your question on the outboard mounting bracket, I had the same concern. After initially baulking at the $900 option, I learned that it comes with the stainless steel bracket, so decided to order it. If you don't take the option, you don't get the S/S frame.

Regarding the water tank question, I don't have any words of wisdom, but can give you my thoughts on this. I ordered the gen set option as well and therefore have the same dilemma over water tank capacity. I did not go for the watermaker option though as the only factory option available is 12V (~60 l/hr). Instead, I will retrofit a mains powered watermaker with around 100+ l/hr capacity and run it for shorter periods concurrent with battery charging using the generator. In addition to this, I am thinking about a bladder located under one of the front bunks to supplement storage capacity.

To add comment to the question raised by Freetogether who originated this thread: I like the Leopard 40 as well as the Lagoon 42, and think that either would be suitable for the cruising needs of most people. Each have their own pluses and minuses, so it comes down to what factors are more important for you. In my case, I like to see good bridge deck clearance and found that the Lagoon 42 was adequate in that regard. If I was more concerned about say upwind sailing ability, I'd probably err in favor of the Leopard, or maybe the Bavaria 40. Sorry if I can't be more definitive.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:29   #18

Boat: Leopard 40

We have a 2004 L40 and we live on it full time. It is not too small. However, if you plan to buy a boat with an open floor plan, be prepared to run jacklines from one side of your salon to the other while sailing. Friends of ours have a new L44 and they had to do that. There is no place to hold on. Now they pick only very calm weather to move the boat, and left it in the Caribbean for the summer. Conversely, we have made the round trip twice and will be sailing back down to the Caribbean this fall.

Maje
Old 01-08-2016, 12:52   #19

Boat: I want Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post
Matagorda:

Wow, your response is almost exactly the response my wife and I would have provided. I would add a couple of things I would like to see Lagoon offer for the L42:

1) Double basin sinks in the galley
2) Counter top access to waste bin
3) Oven and cook top in combination, but we assume (hope) storage under the cook top is the reason.
4) More cockpit storage, but again, our assumption is the open and airiness of the aft cabins as well as the open flow of the cockpit is the reason. You have to choose one or the other, storage or openness, hard to have both.

We too have noted that it will be difficult to find a place for a BBQ.

Is the motor mount option only the composite mounting board or is it also the s/s rail. So, if you don't get the motor mount (a $1,000 option) no s/s rail? I thought the motor mount option was very expensive, but if it is the s/s rail and mounting board-much more reasonable.

The compression post in the saloon is not a problem for us. As monohull sailors for 25+ years, it seems normal to us! Even on a cat, you can never have too many things to hang onto in a seaway.

I have talked to several owners with masts farther aft on catamarans, all like it.

The overall sail plan, including self-tacking, is a big plus as my wife and I will normally be a crew of two and ease of handling is more important than a turn of speed. We always work on the premise that either of us should be able to single hand the boat is normal to moderate conditions.

We ordered the Lagoon 42 without actually stepping onboard, something I said we'd never do. After several years of active shopping we decided to take the leap, perhaps a leap of faith, but we feel good about our decision!

Final thought:
We are exploring options to fit an additional water tank. We have gone with the generator and AC. Finding space for extra H2O will be a challenge. Even with a water maker 79 gallons is not much. Anyone with words of wisdom?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hi,
3) Oven and cook top in combination, but we assume (hope) storage under the cook top is the reason.

there is not storage under the cooktop ... the cooktop is over the master cabin (I think)
Old 20-09-2016, 12:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post
Our dealer has expressed confidence that they can find an acceptable solution to fitting an additional water tank, even with the generator. Still, I am taking notes on any ideas presented!
Someone please start a thread of "L42 mods" I figure this question is going to come up a lot in the next 2 to 3 years

And in reply to the person who said they'd like two owners hulls it seems as soon as most people start long term blue water sailing ......most people turn one bedroom into storage/wet gear/tool room etc etc.....so probably not going to be able to t use a two owner hulls version for anything other than short term cruising.
Old 20-09-2016, 17:41   #21
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Soon to be Lagoon 42'

Hi Dean Collins

Good thought on the L42 mods. Will post some details of my mods when appropriate. But this will not be until after delivery early next year.

From the various comments I have observed, it seems that most people, myself included, would prefer the 3 cabin layout but with only two heads not three, rather than the two cabin layout.

Cheers
Old 20-09-2016, 18:45   #22

Boat: Lagoon 450, Jeanneau 479, & Jeanneau 409

A note on the desire to add a water tank: I suggest cruising for a little while before adding a tank. We have the extra tanks on our Lagoon 450 and with just the two of us onboard most of the time we rarely tap into them since the water maker purges every five days if we don't run it anyway.
Old 21-09-2016, 04:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetogether View Post
We are looking to buy our first cat to cruise the Bahamas/BVI/Carribean loop and are worried these boats may be too small? Any comments would be appreciated.
Question: Is cruising the Caribbean really blue water sailing? IMO its not.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Question: Is cruising the Caribbean really blue water sailing? IMO its not.
It's an interesting question. Relatively easy passages, no great distances, and lots of great anchorages. As well as service providers if you run into boat issues.

Maybe not blue water sailing but a good area to shake down and gain some experience.

Sent from my ME173X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-09-2016, 18:22   #25

Boat: Lagoon 42

Phil Berman of The Multihull Company has a very concise saying about the type of sailboat that's appropriate for Caribbean sailing: "Any Boat Will Do".

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
lagoon, leopard, leopard 40, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: