Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2016, 16:38   #31

Re: New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
The L39 has the same layout as the L42. There seems to be no love for the L39, but everyone is drooling for the L42.
Could this be
  • 'Cause the L39 came first and people had to get used to the new style?
  • People do Not prefer 39 foot size?
  • The 42 is perceived as the perfect length?
  • Do people shake their heads at L39 owners and say"Thats so Sad"
  • Would be a shame to buy a L39 and people feel sorry for you
  • What made the L42 the shiny thing and the L39 not?
Thanks
Lagoon L39 is not even close to the L42. These are 2 different animals.
L39 = 38 foot which is not really an offshore or live aboard cat.
L42 = 42 footer has much better load carrying capacity.
L42 copied a lot of the things that made the FP Helia 44 such a great design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagoon 42.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	123162  
ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 17:14   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipTie View Post
Then the FP Lucia 40 is in your budget.
You can get a fully loaded FP Lucia 40 for $450,000 usd.
Looks good, for 50K more (around $500k) I'd prefer the L42 new and loaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 17:52   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmbnsf View Post
Looks good, for 50K more (around $500k) I'd prefer the L42 new and loaded.
I agree that the L42 would be a much better deal at $500k verses the FP Lucia 40 at $450K.

The L42 is 4 feet longer, which makes the load carrying capacity more of an Offshore, Live aboard, cruising boat.
Old 26-04-2016, 19:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
The L39 has the same layout as the L42. There seems to be no love for the L39, but everyone is drooling for the L42.
Could this be
  • 'Cause the L39 came first and people had to get used to the new style?
  • People do Not prefer 39 foot size?
  • The 42 is perceived as the perfect length?
  • Do people shake their heads at L39 owners and say"Thats so Sad"
  • Would be a shame to buy a L39 and people feel sorry for you
  • What made the L42 the shiny thing and the L39 not?
Thanks
I love the longer larger sugar scoops. Looks like you can almost lay down on them. Just another place to hang out.
MattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 20:25   #35

Obviously no Lucia or new Lagoon 42 at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show last October.....maybe next year.

I'm curious as to how the new Lagoon 42 stacks up to the Helia as a compromise.
Old 27-04-2016, 05:20   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I'm curious as to how the new Lagoon 42 stacks up to the Helia as a compromise.
Here is how they all stack up.

FP Lucia 40 (38 foot) at $450K

Lagoon L42 (42 foot) at $500k

FP Helia 44 (44 foot) at $600k

The Lagoon L42 stacks up very nicely with the FP Helia 44, because a lot of the great elements in the L42 came from the FP Helia 44.

The first time you walk onto both of these boats you will notice that once you get to the top of the sugar scoops there is no more steps all the way into the saloon.

Both boats have these panoramic windows in the stern of the state rooms looking out over the sugar scoops.
Old 28-04-2016, 17:40   #37

New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

This video may give you an idea of the size of the FP Lucia 40 compared to the Lagoon L42. Its not an Apple to Apple comparison, more of a grape to Apple comparison.

Old 28-04-2016, 17:53   #38

Harel Yachts is taking one out for a test spin in France May 3/4. He says he will let me know some stats under White Sails. I will report back what they say.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:58   #39

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTemp View Post
I wonder how durable wraps are in a saltwater environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I had the opportunity to go and see this boat in person this weekend, and answered my own question. The vinyl wrap is a waste of money in my opinion. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the durability at no more than a 1. The wrap has scratches and patches in numerous spots already. I would rather spend the $16K on anything else but this option.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:10   #40

Regarding the wrap, I won't argue that there are better options to spend your $16k on, but I wouldn't say its a complete waste. I have had sections of my last two boats wrapped and it does a phenomenal job of protecting the gel coat underneath from chips, scratches etc. When pulling off the wrap it literally looks brand new underneath. I have some of my higher end cars wrapped in clear, you literally cannot tell & it does a great job of eliminating road rash & general wear...I would actually suggest wrapping boats or putting clear in the high wear areas that see a ton of action. The L42 I suspect was wrapped for marketing purposes so it stands out...it looks nice but is not necessary.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:40   #41

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Regarding the wrap, I won't argue that there are better options to spend your $16k on, but I wouldn't say its a complete waste. I have had sections of my last two boats wrapped and it does a phenomenal job of protecting the gel coat underneath from chips, scratches etc. When pulling off the wrap it literally looks brand new underneath. I have some of my higher end cars wrapped in clear, you literally cannot tell & it does a great job of eliminating road rash & general wear...I would actually suggest wrapping boats or putting clear in the high wear areas that see a ton of action. The L42 I suspect was wrapped for marketing purposes so it stands out...it looks nice but is not necessary.
I agree. From a distance it does make the boat stand out. It's up close where it loses its appeal to me. It is probably just me. I am sort of OCD when it comes to those types of things. I can see a new rock chip on my car from half way across a parking lot. Your idea of a clear wrap makes a lot of sense, as any scratches or tears would be far less obvious to the eye.

Otherwise, it is a beautiful boat. I really like how the saloon is laid out.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 18:36   #42

Boat: Lagoon 42

One thing to consider is overall build quality and durability. All makes and models have fans as well as detractors, but the FP models have historically not held up as well as Lagoons or R&C models. I just spent two weeks on Tortola and visited 6 charter companies. At all 6 bases, even the ones with FPs as major parts of their fleets, I was told the FPs simply do not hold up as well as the other major production boats. In fact, one base manager specifically cautioned me against the "lightly built" FPs as a potential live aboard boat. There was some debate about Lagoon -v- R&C quality, (R&C seemed to be the general choice for best quality build) but there was no debate about FP quality - complete agreement it consistently fell below the other two. A great sailing boat, but not a durable sailboat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-05-2016, 09:37   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
Harel Yachts is taking one out for a test spin in France May 3/4. He says he will let me know some stats under White Sails. I will report back what they say.
Their claim was the following

Close Hauled

10-11 knots wind
6.5 knots without code 0
8 knots with code 0

14-16 knots wind
10 knots without code 0
12 knots with code 0

This is the best I could gather from the email. Slight language barrier. I don't have any further information regarding sea state, Load, etc...
Old 12-05-2016, 13:35   #44

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post
One thing to consider is overall build quality and durability. All makes and models have fans as well as detractors, but the FP models have historically not held up as well as Lagoons or R&C models. I just spent two weeks on Tortola and visited 6 charter companies. At all 6 bases, even the ones with FPs as major parts of their fleets, I was told the FPs simply do not hold up as well as the other major production boats. In fact, one base manager specifically cautioned me against the "lightly built" FPs as a potential live aboard boat. There was some debate about Lagoon -v- R&C quality, (R&C seemed to be the general choice for best quality build) but there was no debate about FP quality - complete agreement it consistently fell below the other two. A great sailing boat, but not a durable sailboat.

Talk to CF member yeloya, he runs a charter base in Turkey with a few FPs.

To my knowledge there really is (was) only one big thing wrong with FP and that is the osmosis problem they had between 2005 or so and late 2010.
I haven't heard of younger boats with this problem (while some 2006 boats like my Mahe had osmosis treatment in the first years ).

Lagoon is also not trouble free. Think of badly sealed deck hardware that leaks into the core. Or the problem that they have with water in their nascelle on the 400 (there is a recent thread on CF).

I owned a Lagoon before i bought my FP and I would say that build quality of FP and Lagoon are similar. Not perfect but OK.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 14:29   #45

Boat: Lagoon 42

I don't think any boat make or model is trouble free. In fact, almost all boats have a few inherent deficiencies. My comments were simply meant to make the point - that it's hard to imagine 6 out of 6 charter operators with the same opinion, that the overall quality and durability of FPs are generally below that of Lagoon and R&C, are incorrect. Again, several had FPs in their fleets!

I am still considering an '08 and a '09 Orana. One selling point the broker made was the '09 had it's bottom peeled and re-glassed in '12 - interesting selling point. (Similar to being told one should hope a survey on a Leopard lists saloon windows needing re-bedding, because they will need re-bedding at some point - so better that the seller pay.) The FPs tend to be priced lower than comparable Lagoon and R&Cs of the same vintage because they often show more wear and tear under similar circumstances and levels of use.

FPs are good catamarans and if carefully selected and surveyed can be very good buys. Nonetheless, based upon by own observations and the consistent opinions of those with years of experience in the business of maintaining and repairing various types of catamarans, the FPs are not as durable (generally) as Lagoons and R&Cs.

Tags
lagoon