Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-08-2016, 06:58   #106

Boat: lagoon 380 s2
Re: New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
On a circumnavigation I would envisage a lot of engine hours being used on the Lucia. If you're happy with that the boat may suit your purposes well; it's just not what I'm looking for.
Read the book "bumfuzzle".

It is about a young couple with no sailing experience who buy a cat and circumnavigate.

They wind up motoring so much that basically believe a motor boat is the way to go. Almost. But this is true with any sailboat that cruises if you have time contraints and need to get somewhere.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:07   #107

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Hi Jim, not sure how a helia would be less area than a lagoon 42 if that is the case than the FP design give us a galley with plenty of usable area 2 separate guest showers and an owners hull with a laundry, really i find it hard to understand a statement like that

after being on both boats the helia feels and is a larger boat it also has a larger cockpit and much more storage all round.

i do agree with you on the price difference though helia is a lot more expensive than the lagoon 42 but is a closer boat to compare than the lagoon 42 and the lucia 37 ft boat

I agree with you, although the Lagoon 42 may have a slightly larger (by less than 4 sq ft) footprint, the Helia is a bigger boat. As I said in my earlier post I don't know how the L42 owner came to the conclusion there was more volume in the Lagoon.

I have been onboard the Helia several times and love it. Without actually setting foot on an L42, the Helia seems to have higher freeboard and overall greater headroom. The saloon on the Helia seems bigger as well. I am curious about the beam of the individual hulls, the Lagoon seems to have fatter hulls.

Cheers

Old 08-08-2016, 16:41   #108

Boat: Wanted: Schionning GForce 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Read the book "bumfuzzle".

It is about a young couple with no sailing experience who buy a cat and circumnavigate.

They wind up motoring so much that basically believe a motor boat is the way to go. Almost. But this is true with any sailboat that cruises if you have time contraints and need to get somewhere.
I read their blog while they were sailing. I think this is the difference between buying a catamaran that sails in light airs and also being interested in sailing.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:09   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post

We sailed in very light conditions, mostly, with pretty flat water ...
TP12,

Thanks so much for providing feedback on the Lucia. Very disappointing that it performs so poorly in light wind -- wonder if using different sails / different configuration setup would produce better results?
Old 09-08-2016, 16:58   #110

Boat: Wanted: Schionning GForce 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewT View Post
TP12,

Thanks so much for providing feedback on the Lucia. Very disappointing that it performs so poorly in light wind -- wonder if using different sails / different configuration setup would produce better results?
No worries. I'd imagine that would be the case. A couple of large, light air headsails could be mounted easily on the bowsprit and the sail handling on the boat was quite easy. It would be interesting to see how much extra performance you could get.
Old 10-09-2016, 15:12   #111

Nautitech open 40 so much better than FP...better quality, faster sailing, better pointing, better aging, thats why I bought one!
Old 10-09-2016, 15:24   #112

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelliott View Post
Nautitech open 40 so much better than FP...better quality, faster sailing, better pointing, better aging, thats why I bought one!
Don't think I could deal with the helm placement(s). Way too much exposure.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:27   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Don't think I could deal with the helm placement(s). Way too much exposure.
Dotdun, I thought the same way for several years to the point I argued at two boat shows with the MD of Nautitech and said why don't you cater for people like me! Then I took this boat for a week's trial whilst my family were doing some crew training, and I realised that actually it didn't bother me, the position actually only exposes the chest and upwards, and I found the sensations gathered by being those helms more than made up for any slight exposure. We did the training late in the year and the weather was crap, two days of semi warm misty/cloudy days then two days of rain and I found I loved it! For those who like the sailing "sensations" you actually can hear and feel every little pick up or drop off of the boat, and it heightens the sense of sailing......it's also quite social as you're near the crew in the salon.....you just don't get that with a semi fly or fly bridge.....having said that they are great in the tropics for sun lounging! I would say it depends what you are doing with the boat....lots of marinas, get dual helms for manoeuvrability, tropics cruising with not many, then flybridge is fine......just my opinion of course everything is subjective, but as I said I was vehemently opposed to dual helms until I tried them!
Old 11-09-2016, 05:43   #114

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelliott View Post
Dotdun, I thought the same way for several years to the point I argued at two boat shows with the MD of Nautitech and said why don't you cater for people like me! Then I took this boat for a week's trial whilst my family were doing some crew training, and I realised that actually it didn't bother me, the position actually only exposes the chest and upwards, and I found the sensations gathered by being those helms more than made up for any slight exposure. We did the training late in the year and the weather was crap, two days of semi warm misty/cloudy days then two days of rain and I found I loved it! For those who like the sailing "sensations" you actually can hear and feel every little pick up or drop off of the boat, and it heightens the sense of sailing......it's also quite social as you're near the crew in the salon.....you just don't get that with a semi fly or fly bridge.....having said that they are great in the tropics for sun lounging! I would say it depends what you are doing with the boat....lots of marinas, get dual helms for manoeuvrability, tropics cruising with not many, then flybridge is fine......just my opinion of course everything is subjective, but as I said I was vehemently opposed to dual helms until I tried them!
I'm glad you like the outboard helms, especially since you own a boat with such. I've been in too many nasty weather situations where the protection afforded by a bulkhead helm with removable cover means a lot to me. I have no problems enjoying the 'sensations' of sailing, when one knows their boat, you get such sensations no matter where you are on the boat. In a marina, I can see all sides of my boat without running side to side, I don't understand how dual helms help with 'manoeuvrability'.

Enjoy your boat!
Old 11-09-2016, 10:54   #115

I certainly prefer a bulkhead helm to a flybridge, no doubt, and they definitely have their advantages....I have sailed four different cats with them, however you just do not get the visibility when manoeuvring in tight spaces, not on the modern ones like helia 44 Lagoon 42, etc, you do not have clear views of your bows or stern, and I know this from experience.....Unlike your FP Belize, the more modern BH helms have much more clutter or GRP around them, they don't have a clear view like yours.....its much easier to back in a space and stop yourself right by the dock with dual helms I find it works a treat and was really nervous about it at first.....in terms of cover Ive sailed mine in foul weather in the UK winter, of course I had foulies on, but the cover was adequate really, my jacket kept the worst off, plus you can sail by remote control inside the salon if you wish, with a full 360 view.
Of course you still get some sensation with a BH helm, but again, if were talking about these modern boats which I have sailed, it's not as much as you get on the dual helm....dont take my word for it try it out! If you're down in Southampton ever pm me and Ill take you out! Happy Sailing!
Old 13-09-2016, 02:58   #116

I'm going to view the lagoon 42 this evening, if you want to know anything inparticular let me know I'll find out for you. Cheers

Sent from my D6603 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-09-2016, 12:16   #117

Boat: Lagoon 42#17

great boat, no regrets. on the discussion - indeed if it had to be small like the FP 40 (which is 38 feet) I would go for the Nautitech Open 40 - that thing is really fast. Just annoying you have to walk from side to side all the time trying to see what's in front of you .... I cannot NOT do a relaxed facing forward flybridge ;-)

Old 26-10-2016, 06:44   #118

that speed its possible on perfect conditions without any load.
how about the cat its fully loadet?
that speedtest its a joke.commercial reasons...
did anyone go sail without any load? empty tanks, ec?...
this test its fare from reality..
Old 26-10-2016, 07:08   #119

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
that speed its possible on perfect conditions without any load.
how about the cat its fully loadet?
that speedtest its a joke.commercial reasons...
did anyone go sail without any load? empty tanks, ec?...
this test its fare from reality..
just as any other test I have seen so far ... so what exactly are you trying to say?
Old 26-10-2016, 08:09   #120
gpl

Boat: FP Lucia 40

Have sailed Nautitech open 40 - in charter load. Nice Boat.
Do own Lucia 40 - owner equiped.

The Performance difference (loaded boat) in sailing conditions is
- if there is one - minimal.

At Open 40 i dont felt comfortable looking to the front from the wheels. Especilay during night and rain.

Why does someone try to compare Lagoon 42 to Lucia 40?
Imo should be Lagoon 39/400 to Lucia 40.

Tags
lagoon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: