Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 06:36   #91

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
Both of these boats seem to have very, very little storage space, apart from bookshelves. A strange concept in the age of e-readers.

Are these boats really suitable for full-time cruising?
In making our decision to order a new Lagoon 42 with the idea of eventually living on the boat for 3-5 years, storage was a BIG issue. We ordered the boat sight unseen which is something I never thought we would do. Having owned and worked extensively on boats in the past it is a leap of faith to some extent.

We eventually came to the conclusion that storage will be a challenge, but with only the two of us living onboard the vast majority of the time, we will have sufficient storage. A deciding factor on the storage issue was an acquaintance, who together with his wife and teenage son, lived onboard their Leopard 40 (2009 model) for 3 years. They had also owned a 2001 or so Lagoon 380. They have been onboard the Lagoon 42 and said the storage was much better than on the Leopard. Their take was that galley storage and to a lesser degree cockpit storage might be challenging, but overall storage was more than adequate. They had great insights and many good ideas that will be helpful when we move onto the boat. They are now on the cusp of ordering a Lagoon 42. Their son is out of college and mom and dad are going cruising again.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36   #92

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPT View Post
I was wondering - if the boat was purchased whilst we were still in the EU would that vessel fall under a different rule to a vessel that was purchased when we finally left the EU. Sounds mad I know but stranger things have happened.

I have heard there are several advantages to having a boat registered in the US, not sure it would apply to you or me for that fact but could do if you want to cruise the US.

I hear you reference the turbine, makes sense.

The titanic was unsinkable too, that didn't end to well.

From that paragraph does that mean the Lucia has water tight bulk heads? I can't work out what they mean, closing a wooden door on a compartment with a hole in the bulkhead isn't going to save the boat.
Water tight bulkheads and foam filled compartments. FP, as do other catamaran builders, fill the crash box in the bow and the area under the stern steps with enough foam to float the boat. Both areas, plus the engine room, have watertight bulkheads to well above the waterline. It would take a larger catastrophe than a hole in one hull to totally sink most production catamarans.

But, this is not an excuse for not carrying proper life saving equipment. I consider a life raft as part of proper life saving equipment. I don't consider a dinghy as life saving equipment, although would certain grab if conditions/time permitted. The problem with major disasters, they always happen at the most inopportune time, like major wind storm with large seas. I would much rather be in a self-righting life raft in 30' swells and 60kt winds than a dinghy.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 14:38   #93

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post

But, this is not an excuse for not carrying proper life saving equipment. I consider a life raft as part of proper life saving equipment. I don't consider a dinghy as life saving equipment, although would certain grab if conditions/time permitted. The problem with major disasters, they always happen at the most inopportune time, like major wind storm with large seas. I would much rather be in a self-righting life raft in 30' swells and 60kt winds than a dinghy.
Now that's a whole new discussion :-)

It's interesting to read group liferaft reviews and see how often at least one brand new liferaft fails to inflate correctly, if at all. Or to read how often the mothership is found but there's no sign of liferaft or crew. Or just how hard it can be to get into the liferaft in the first place, in controlled conditions, never mind in hurricane force winds and wild seas.

My worst fear in a cat is fire and if it takes hold the boat will burn to the waterline and then sink. Being able to step into a RIB set up and ready to go in sight of shore seems to me to be an eminently sensible approach to safety. As does my intention never to be out in hurricane force winds. I'd haul out and ride out the storm in the stoutest hotel I could find, preferably one that's several hundred years old and survived previous hurricanes.

I wouldn't dream of crossing the atlantic without a liferaft. Or, if it comes down to it, with one.... :-) Not my type of sailing.
twohapence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 18:33   #94
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I'll be going for a short sail on a Lucia 40 on Saturday. If anyone wants me to ask something, or look at something specific, please let me know.

I'll report back on the sail.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 18:38   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I'll be going for a short sail on a Lucia 40 on Saturday. If anyone wants me to ask or look at something specific, please do.

I'll report back on the sail.
TP12,

Very curious on the storage space for this boat. It was going to be my target for a family of 3, possibly 4 for circumnavigation.

Also if you can report back on the light vs heavy chop and how the boat felt; banging, etc...
DrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 18:44   #96
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewT View Post
TP12,

Very curious on the storage space for this boat. It was going to be my target for a family of 3, possibly 4 for circumnavigation.

Also if you can report back on the light vs heavy chop and how the boat felt; banging, etc...
Seabreeze.com.au tells me we'll have between 11 and 4 knots of wind and we'll likely be mostly in the harbour (Sydney) and maybe a quick trip out of the heads. So I'm not sure I'll get the heavier conditions for you but I should be able to see how she moves in light wind and likely under white sails.
Old 03-08-2016, 18:53   #97

Quote:
Seabreeze.com.au tells me we'll have between 11 and 4 knots of wind and we'll likely be mostly in the harbour (Sydney) and maybe a quick trip out of the heads. So I'm not sure I'll get the heavier conditions for you but I should be able to see how she moves in light wind and likely under white sails.
TP12,

Understood. Thanks for making this offer to the group and any feedback.
DrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:41   #98

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipTie View Post
The Lucia 40 is comparable to the Lagoon 39.
Both of these boats would be to small in weight carrying capacity for most offshore or live aboard cruisers.

If the Lagoon 42 is $635,000 usd delivered you may want to think about a FP Helia 44.

You should be able to get a fully loaded FP Helia 44 delivered to the US for $600,000 usd.

Since the Lagoon 42 is just a copy of the Helia 44. Why not get the larger boat at a better price.

I have Lagoon 42, Hull #138 on order. I agree the FP40 and L42 are not comparable boats. Lagoon clearly took ideas from the Helia 44 and my wife and I considered both seriously.

I can tell you that $635K is very, very overpriced. A boat with the exact same options can be had for much less. Our boat has virtually the same options as the boat in Texas and we are nowhere near that price. However, I doubt one can get an L42 with those options for less than $500K as indicated by another poster earlier in this thread. Also, a fully loaded Helia 44 delivered to the US for less than $600K would be a challenge; although, it might be doable. We love the Helia, but I think the L42 will work a bit better for us.

One other note: Although the Helia 44 is slightly longer, the L42 footprint is larger. I can not confirm the following: Another L42 buyer has told me he was able to calculate the living space and deck space on each boat (not sure how) and the L42 has slightly more interior volume and deck space.

The grayish hull color is a wrap, a $16K option that we passed on.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:18   #99

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post
I have Lagoon 42, Hull #138 on order. I agree the FP40 and L42 are not comparable boats. Lagoon clearly took ideas from the Helia 44 and my wife and I considered both seriously.

I can tell you that $635K is very, very overpriced. A boat with the exact same options can be had for much less. Our boat has virtually the same options as the boat in Texas and we are nowhere near that price. However, I doubt one can get an L42 with those options for less than $500K as indicated by another poster earlier in this thread. Also, a fully loaded Helia 44 delivered to the US for less than $600K would be a challenge; although, it might be doable. We love the Helia, but I think the L42 will work a bit better for us.

One other note: Although the Helia 44 is slightly longer, the L42 footprint is larger. I can not confirm the following: Another L42 buyer has told me he was able to calculate the living space and deck space on each boat (not sure how) and the L42 has slightly more interior volume and deck space.

The grayish hull color is a wrap, a $16K option that we passed on.
$635K IS way overpriced. I think that they are leveraging the fact that it may be the only L42 in the US that is currently available. I know that they were asking a premium for the 2015 L450 they had, but after about a year I understand that ended up letting it go for a very good price.

I agree about the wrap. It just doesn't hold up well. At least the wrap on the one in Texas hasn't. The gray color shows every knick, scratch and rub and they don't buff out. Even the patches they have used to repair tears in the wrap are obvious.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 23:28   #100
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewT View Post
TP12,

Storage wise there seems to be a reasonable amount for the size. There's large locker spaces under each berth in the stern, for example. A family of three or four would fit comfortably on the boat.

We sailed in very light conditions, mostly, with pretty flat water (didn't leave the harbour). 5 knots wasn't really enough to move the boat and certainly wouldn't be able to get through a tack without the engine on. In fact, the only time the engine went into neutral was when a weather front rushed through bringing the wind speed up to 15'ish knots. For it's size it was very comfortable, well finished and there were two other couples on board who loved it. They wanted to put the boat into charter in the whitsundays and just generally cruise around up there and up and down the coast in small hops. I think it would perform that role very well and very comfortably.

Having now sailed it, it's not a boat I would consider, however. I want something that can sail in light air and get through a tack without the motor on and the Lucia isn't that boat. On a circumnavigation I would envisage a lot of engine hours being used on the Lucia. If you're happy with that the boat may suit your purposes well; it's just not what I'm looking for.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:47   #101

Boat: TBA

Hi Jim, not sure how a helia would be less area than a lagoon 42 if that is the case than the FP design give us a galley with plenty of usable area 2 separate guest showers and an owners hull with a laundry, really i find it hard to understand a statement like that

after being on both boats the helia feels and is a larger boat it also has a larger cockpit and much more storage all round.

i do agree with you on the price difference though helia is a lot more expensive than the lagoon 42 but is a closer boat to compare than the lagoon 42 and the lucia 37 ft boat
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:01   #102

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Storage wise there seems to be a reasonable amount for the size. There's large locker spaces under each berth in the stern, for example. A family of three or four would fit comfortably on the boat.

We sailed in very light conditions, mostly, with pretty flat water (didn't leave the harbour). 5 knots wasn't really enough to move the boat and certainly wouldn't be able to get through a tack without the engine on. In fact, the only time the engine went into neutral was when a weather front rushed through bringing the wind speed up to 15'ish knots. For it's size it was very comfortable, well finished and there were two other couples on board who loved it. They wanted to put the boat into charter in the whitsundays and just generally cruise around up there and up and down the coast in small hops. I think it would perform that role very well and very comfortably.

Having now sailed it, it's not a boat I would consider, however. I want something that can sail in light air and get through a tack without the motor on and the Lucia isn't that boat. On a circumnavigation I would envisage a lot of engine hours being used on the Lucia. If you're happy with that the boat may suit your purposes well; it's just not what I'm looking for.
I had a good look at both boats when in Sydney last week,
Did you try going hard on the wind in 5 knots to build up the apparent? Would have thought you could at least get 4 knots upwind at around 40 degrees?

Andrew
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:23   #103

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:

What sails were on the boat? Factory default sails are not light wind sails, hence poor performance in 5kts is no surprise.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:48   #104
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
I had a good look at both boats when in Sydney last week,
Did you try going hard on the wind in 5 knots to build up the apparent? Would have thought you could at least get 4 knots upwind at around 40 degrees?

Andrew
We tried sailing cracked off and slowly sheeting in while heading up to build up speed and apparent but no joy. I would like to have messed around a wee bit more, especially with traveller position, but there were three couples on board and we were all having a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
What sails were on the boat? Factory default sails are not light wind sails, hence poor performance in 5kts is no surprise.
Yep, just factory main and genoa. No light wind sails.

It has a bowsprit as standard so I imagine it would be easy to rig light wind sails. One very positive thing was all sail handling, indeed boat handling, was very easily done at the helm.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:58   #105

Boat: LAGOON 400

L 400 can do 4 kn in 4 kn true under ideal angles in flat water, so I bet Lucia should be able to do same .

ferry wake however dumps sail shape very quick.

Also whoever sailed maybe not that good at it ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon