Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 21:06   #1

New Harryproa 40F Design Appears

Rob Denney has released the progress of the 40ft proa design 40F.

The boat folds to save on marina charges down to a single berth size and to be able to trailer on its folded 10ft beam.

Spartan open saloon is pretty much the daysailer pattern with rolldown weather protection and 2 double bunks at either end. The 5m dinghy is stored as a part of the deck.

Harryproa 40F – WIP – Harryproa
Old 30-04-2016, 00:41   #2

Re: New Harryproa 40F Design Appears

Given the stringent set of requirements from the owner the transformation of the base design is a testament to the versatility of the concept. And price was one of the major requirements from what I read. Alot of boat for in the tropics.
lucdekeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 04:31   #3

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdekeyser View Post
Given the stringent set of requirements from the owner the transformation of the base design is a testament to the versatility of the concept. And price was one of the major requirements from what I read. Alot of boat for in the tropics.
quite beautiful in a way too, I guess thats the contribution of Steinar Alvestad. Denney seems to have this knack of fielding the problems of earlier designs and coming up with unique solutions.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:58   #5

Quote:
I couldn't find it. They said price was a key consideration but I couldn't find it on their site.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I couldn't find it. They said price was a key consideration but I couldn't find it on their site.
no there isnt a specific price, apart from plans/consultation
but there is a materials list
with some knowledge/research you can construct the costs for your location
Old 01-05-2016, 05:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
no there isnt a specific price, apart from plans/consultation
but there is a materials list
with some knowledge/research you can construct the costs for your location
So the claims of being cheap are pure marketing with no substance.

Looks like a cool idea for a weekend cruiser. If you can get one ready to sail for $50k, it's a great option for a cheap cruising boat. If it's $500k, not so great. Reality is ?????

There was a related thread last year claiming cost of an X ft boat but accommodations of a Y ft boat but no price info to back it. You would think eventually, they would start backing the claims with actual numbers and not expecting people to research the materials list and construction costs (which could easily be wildly off given the atypical nature of the design).
Old 01-05-2016, 05:25   #8

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

Quote:
This is a design with plans that you choose to build, not a production boat with a price. The cost of construction will vary wildly depending on where you build it, how much you pay for labor and how you choose to fit it out. Many of these boats have significant investments of owner/builder time in the construction which makes materials the only "fixed" cost - and the materials list is quite comprehensive and gives you that.

My understanding of the claim with respect to being cheap is relative to equivalent custom builds, and I think the lower costs are reasonably documented in terms of the reduced materials and construction time due to the boats designed light weight, and construction method.

If you are trying to compare one to a production boat, you have to do more work, as to get a price you have to choose a builder to give you the price.

Sounds like this is probably not the boat for you.

Mark.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:21   #9

As a former builder then small boat manufacturer I would NOT go down this rabbit hole.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:03   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

And we are off and running on the "proa" debates....again. Smile. Personally, I wish I could get my arse on one that is built and see what she is like. I think there are many merits to this boat
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
As a former builder then small boat manufacturer I would NOT go down this rabbit hole.
as a builder? as an owner?
Old 01-05-2016, 12:20   #12

Quote:

Looks like a cool idea for a weekend cruiser. If you can get one ready to sail for $50k, it's a great option for a cheap cruising boat. If it's $500k, not so great. Reality is ?????

There was a related thread last year claiming cost of an X ft boat but accommodations of a Y ft boat but no price info to back it. You would think eventually, they would start backing the claims with actual numbers and not expecting people to research the materials list and construction costs (which could easily be wildly off given the atypical nature of the design).
Don't confuse pretty graphics with marketing. Would a marketeer put up a web site like that? This is for a rather technical public. The range of owners is probably more atypical than the design. The boats built and in progress can attest to that.
This is for cruisers on the other side of the spectrum of those who start their requirements list with the question of getting a separate washer/dryer or a combo. The future owner of this model has built, sailed and modified a raider sized harryproa for years and sold it to another sailor on the other side of his ocean. He knows about costs. He has a family now and needs a larger but still minimal boat. The initial 40F came close to his wants. This one fits his wants.
In the meantime the "intelligent infusion" method has been perfected. I would rather use the term "clever infusion" because you do not need to be intelligent to see that the method would only need a straightforward CNC machine to produce IKEA style flat pack pannels to be assembled and glued on destination. It would not surprise me that some Chinese manufacturer is already copying the Tender60 model.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:10   #13

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I like it! Simple and clean looking, should be fast. You have to admire Rob Dennys unconventional thinking and persistence with his harryproas.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-05-2016, 02:37   #14

Quote:
Don't confuse pretty graphics with marketing. Would a marketeer put up a web site like that?
Yes this is exactly what a marketer would put up. Pretty graphics and vague statements about more boat for your dollar without backing any of it up.

I actually like the boat and some of it's ideas but when it's about a "special" clientele and other such stuff, that's pure marketing.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:40   #15

Quote:
I actually like the boat and some of it's ideas
well thats a bit of luck then...

.... I guess...