Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-06-2016, 08:02   #1

new guy

Hi everybody, I'm new here and new to sailing (I only have theory courses, no sailing experience). Here's the history:
The wife and I are retiring from the Canadian Armed Forces. When we retire, we will take in about 100k a year in pensions. We're going to sell both houses, make about 250k (I hope) in profit. To save, we are going to purchase a cheap mobile home on the sunshine coast or Vancouver Island for under 50k, saving as much money as we can for a future boat.
Here's the thing: Knowing that we will only have as much as 1/3 to put down on a brand new Lagoon 39 and finance the rest, do we do that or try to purchase an older one for less? I'm thinking that after shipping, duty, and taxes, an older boat is going to cost me not much less that a new one, not including the repairs that go into an old one. And, can I finance a new one (300k) over 20 years and live on a 100k as long as my bills are minimal (paid off car, mobile home, but there is pad fees in a trailer park).
I figure there must be a lot of people out there that have experienced this. Oh yeah, the other thing is, there are very minimal used catamarans for sale out of Canada, that's why the necessity of looking elsewhere, but you can buy brand new out of Vancouver.
Comments?

Old 27-06-2016, 08:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: new guy

No advice for you. Just a warm welcome to the CF.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 08:28   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by alverz2007 View Post

Comments?
Buy a GOOD, used, well equiped Lagoon 380, consider keeping it in the states to avoid CDN txes,duty etc but flag it CDN.
New Cats(or used) will need to be bought with US equivalent funds at 30% conversion penalty + or -, which is a bummer! so new will be very ,very expensive. Scale down your expenditure and get out Cruising sooner and somewhat financially easier. JMHO

Bob
Old 27-06-2016, 08:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
Buy a GOOD, used, well equiped Lagoon 380, consider keeping it in the states to avoid CDN txes,duty etc but flag it CDN.
New Cats(or used) will need to be bought with US equivalent funds at 30% conversion penalty + or -, which is a bummer! so new will be very ,very expensive. Scale down your expenditure and get out Cruising sooner and somewhat financially easier. JMHO

Bob
Hi Bob, thanks. We considered keeping it down south, but we also want it in Canada so we can cruise up and down the coast.
Old 27-06-2016, 10:22   #5

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier trimaran, Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

If your time line is a few years keep checking Yachtworld and other sites. Cats do come available in BC. Contact some brokers. Best would be one specializing in Multihulls but with good recommendations and gives you a good gut feeling. I do not have any relevant experience with brokers of larger boats so do not have a recommendation for you.
Old 27-06-2016, 15:44   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post

Bob
I'm with Rescat, get a cheaper boat sooner, and in any event I think the 380 is a better boat that the 39, certainly sails a lot better.
Old 27-06-2016, 16:02   #7

Boat: Vagabond 14

"Play crew"on a few boats.

Get some basic sailing lessons. (that can be formal or just some local helping you with the basics)

Get some actual sailing experience... then think about if you really want the boat.
Old 29-06-2016, 06:38   #8
cruiser

Cars, boats, anything that depreciates greatly and quickly... never, ever buy new.
Old 29-06-2016, 11:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
Cars, boats, anything that depreciates greatly and quickly... never, ever buy new.
Unless you like and can afford it.

Rob
Old 29-06-2016, 12:33   #10

Boat: Seawind - 1160

Since you are starting fresh, I would definitely suggest getting a fairly new boat that is well equipped. Besides the boat there are hundreds of other items you will need including, spare parts, rigging kit, tools galley item etc. all should come with a used boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-06-2016, 13:08   #11

Thanks for the good advice. I was looking at a Lagoon 400 that is a 2005, is it normal to ask for a selling price approx 20-30k over the surveyors suggested selling price? Can't give more info as I don't want to ID the seller, thanks

Old 30-06-2016, 13:37   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alverz2007 View Post
Thanks for the good advice. I was looking at a Lagoon 400 that is a 2005, is it normal to ask for a selling price approx 20-30k over the surveyors suggested selling price?
Anyone can ask anything they want, but I wouldn't pay more than my surveyor said it was worth...
Old 30-06-2016, 13:45   #13

Boat: Seawind - 1160

I think you need o research what these boats have sold for in the last 12 months in your area. Then factor in the condition of the boat you are looking at based on the surveyors report.

Old 30-06-2016, 14:09   #14

Sounds good

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: