Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 15:15   #31
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Re: New Gemini Legacy 35

I'm surprised this is what Performance Cruising thinks will sell in today's catamaran marketplace.

I can't help but wonder who did their market research?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 19:09   #32

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Au contraire....Tropic Cat. IMHO, Performance got rid of all the major negatives ie. that stupid and unreliable outdrive or leg drive. They added more reliability with the redundancy of twin diesels that sip fuel. They beefed up the interior and made a nicer cockpit....all under 200k. Its a poor mans lagoon or leopard and the great zooks says Bravo Performance cats. I will take the twin head twin stateroom verson with the bow sprit and gennaker.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 20:16   #33

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I'm surprised this is what Performance Cruising thinks will sell in today's catamaran marketplace.

I can't help but wonder who did their market research?
I don't think Performance Cruising is anything more than a shadow anymore.

Tony and Sue have nothing to do with it anymore.

And it is not really a Gemini. It may be a different boat called a Legacy but it is not a Gemini.
Old 28-09-2012, 23:09   #34
Marine Service Provider

Tropic Cat, please tell us what WILL sell in today's catamaran marketplace, I'm interested to hear why one of the best selling cats in the world won't sell with the improvements that have been added to it?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 02:34   #35
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Tropic Cat, please tell us what WILL sell in today's catamaran marketplace, I'm interested to hear why one of the best selling cats in the world won't sell with the improvements that have been added to it?
What will sell today is perceived value. As for this PCI Legend, you say improvements? 2 Engines? No more center boards? Lower bridge deck clearance? 2 heads? Different hull shape / keel? Some could argue that this is a different boat entirely, not an improved Gemini. Yet at 35 feet LOA, the boat should be at least 50% of that wide for both stability and performance. (bow wave interference will be fierce.. )

I would argue that Gemini had a market niche, and a following. What they've done is to toss that out the window in exchange for what they hope will replace their loyal followers ..... which is Charter sales. Why else would anyone design a 35' boat which is only 14' wide. Why would it need 2 heads? Then again, a charter fleet of these Legend 35s will need just 50% of current fleet docking requirements.

The idea of a small catamaran in charter is a solid, but somewhat unproven, marketing concept. The large Caribbean charter companies seem to be heading in a different direction where bigger boats are better. Keep in mind that Charter businesses don't actually buy boats, people do, and put them into charter.

PCI might be fighting back as it's these same charter boats that killed their business. Discounted 38 - 40' catamarans leaving charter decimated the Gemini business model.

Time will tell if they got it right. I for one hope they succeed. If PCI got it right, Charter companies will feature smaller catamarans which will eventually change the used catamaran market forever.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 04:01   #36

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I think what made the gem successful and popular was the fact that it was very affordable. In the 90,s when they sold tons of these they were well under 100k' at that time a pdq32 Heck even our Ami was 150-160k. I think Tropicat is dead on, someone looking to dump 200k on a cat would be more likely to go with a slightly used lagoon leopard (insert brand here) and get twice the boat. A for chartering i seriously doubt the legacy would ever appeal to the chartering industry. No easy steps on the sterns, wave slap noise all night long, cramped interior, not to mention if the same poor quality exists i.e. cracking , voids and poor fit and finish they will fail misearbly. now if they got the price point better they could have something.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 04:23   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

If this boat came out 10 years ago they would have sold tons of them crap heap or not.

today, it's hard to say. In my experience there aren't may people looking to buy new boats in this size range.
Old 06-10-2012, 20:17   #38

I went aboard one today at the Annapolis boat show. I really liked the "improvements".

My wife and I have been looking for a Gemini for a small family friendly entry level cat for coastal cruising in the bay (Chesapeake). There were a couple of things that we always did not like, and the new model fixed all of them.

Visibility through the salon and from the helm station generally was improved. It was much easier for my wife to go forward on deck. The salon felt more open, and the cockpit was worlds nicer. Its hard for me to verbalize, but the interior had a better feel to us.

The model we were on had 3 "staterooms" and one head, but it would be perfect for my family.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:44   #39

Boat: 2013 Gemini Legacy

Hi,
New to this forum. Previously a 2006 Hunter 33' owner.

Purchased the loaded Gemini 35' show boat at Annapolis on Friday.
I will keep everyone up to date on my experiences with the boat.

It will stay with dealer for winter and I will be bring back to Ocean Gate Marina, in Barnegat Bay, NJ in Spring.

My wife and I are very excited and hope to get a little time sailing in it before winter sets in.

Jack Phillips
Hamilton, NJ
jackphillips195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:47   #40
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I went on the show boat too (they had 2):

Sail Delmarva: It's Sweet When You Stay in Love With the Girl You Brought

I saw things differently. I saw a boat that was designed to sit in marinas and to charter, but not to really sail when the wind blows or sit in a remote anchorage.

The shame is that they genuinely solved certain problems (visibility, boarding, drive leg we hope), but created or left unsolved too many others. I suspect the 105Mc was a better sailing boat. What we have is a monohull sailor's idea of what a cat should be, which may be brilliant marketing by Hunter.

------

As for any boat-show buyer, did you take it for the obligatory test sail during a small craft advisory. I would, with you and your wife doing the sailing, before you sign. Just in case. Make certain you take it out into the open Bay and some 3-foot chop.

I have purchased 3 boats over the years, and all were test sailed in a blow.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:48   #41

Boat: 2013 Gemini Legacy

I have been looking at this boat for several years now and was not that impressed. I think the improvements made along with the 2 engines now made the difference for us.

Barnegat Bay is very shallow and most of sailing is in the Bay. This boat will open up the Bay by doubling where we can go.

And I am noticing quite a few Gemini’s on the water lately!

Also . .I am not sure why, but being a Hunter Owner, something feels a little familiar to the new design to the Hunter 33’ .. not sure what though.
jackphillips195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:04   #42

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackphillips195 View Post
I have been looking at this boat for several years now and was not that impressed. I think the improvements made along with the 2 engines now made the difference for us.

Barnegat Bay is very shallow and most of sailing is in the Bay. This boat will open up the Bay by doubling where we can go.

And I am noticing quite a few Gemini’s on the water lately!

Also . .I am not sure why, but being a Hunter Owner, something feels a little familiar to the new design to the Hunter 33’ .. not sure what though.

Congratulations I'm sure you will be racing the 105Mc 's soon enough so get some practice
Old 07-10-2012, 12:07   #43

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

See post #28
Old 07-10-2012, 12:07   #44
ek1

I was at the boat show also to just look at the Legacy. I have a Hunter 31 that I have owned for 26 years and it still is in great shape. I have had it in Florida and now Norfolk. BECAUSE Hunter is building this boat I am probably going to buy it. I was onboard early Friday opening every hatch, cover, access point etc. Having lived aboard for 11 of the 26 years I knew what to look for in a Hunter (which is what this is). I liked what I saw and they were not cutting any corners. Good boat, well laid out, perfect for the southern Chesapeake waters. There are curmudgeans that will downplay anything that is different than theirs. 26 years of serious use (some too serious in my feckless youth as a Navy pilot) makes me a believer in Hunter products. Enjoy your new purchase. If you see one this summer named "Sea Hawk" that would be me and we can hoist beverages and tall tales and let the curmudgeons know how much fun we are having in our Hunter Gemini Legacies.
EK1
ek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:09   #45

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
The hulls look really fat and squared toward the stern meant for more for load carrying than performance. The engines are really difficult to get to. One article said the boat show boat was 285k???w no dinghy davits or radar? The pics I viewed of the stern showed the bridge deck less then a foot over the water but then again the wider hulls may be more buoyant and lift as waves pass thru avoiding pounding or slap a bit. Cabins seem tiny compared to other 32-35 ft cats. The draft is no big deal as who sails or motors with the rudders or leg up anyhow. It can still gunk hole. But if the 285k price is correct t id have looked a diff direction. Or three.... best of luck look forward to sailing reports!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini