Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 17:12   #106

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: New Gemini Legacy 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The one good thing is that the Gemini Legacy 35 has shaft drives not sail drives

Sorry, have not seen one and heard they did.
Old 08-02-2013, 17:14   #107

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Looks like the Gemini Legacy 35 has a little more bridge deck clearance.
From looking at the paint I would say it looks about the same.

But I have not seen one.

I will miss the Miami show this year also. But my son did graduate so I will help monitor the keg.
Old 08-02-2013, 17:16   #108

Quote:
Looks like the Gemini Legacy 35 has a little more bridge deck clearance.

I cannot tell anything about the second picture though I think I must have a Legacy as it appears to have a vagina.

(don't know how to put that pic here)
Old 08-02-2013, 17:36   #109

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I cannot tell anything about the second picture though I think I must have a Legacy as it appears to have a vagina.

Thats what I thought too, But I wasnt game to put it in words, Haahahahaha
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 17:46   #110

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Wow. your right that hull does have sex apeal. Will have to look closer at the pictures I post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gemini Legacy 35 hull.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	54264  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:58   #111

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Pervs.
Old 28-05-2013, 14:47   #112

Boat: 2013 Gemini Legacy

Hi,
I own boat #1, the Coyote at the show. Now named Alternative IV, based in Ocean Gate Marina Barnegat Bay, NJ. I sailed the boat back from Annapolis the last week in April 2013 in 3 days, stopping at Delaware City, Cape May, then home. I made some short videos about the boat so far and the trip at https://plus.google.com/u/0/11719095...1009687/videos

Other than a few warranty issues the boat has been great. The trip back was about 250 miles. Speed through water was about 7.5 knots at 3500 rpm's. Fuel burn was about 1.75 gallons per hour. There were 3 males at about 200lbs lbs. apiece and we were carrying normal load of supplies. This boat has larger fuel tanks I think, 35 gallons per side and they were full most of the trip. We did not use the sails on the trip because the wind was light or a headwind.

The trip up the Bay to Delaware City was rough the first couple of hours with a lot of spray over the deck. The slap that the “experts” on this list talk about on the hull was minimum unless we hit some heavy waves. We averaged about 5 knots SOG and 7.5 through the water.. tides and wind. No trouble in C&D canal.

Second we were underway at daybreak to catch the outbound tide, 06:00 am, and made to Cape May docked and fueled by 1:30pm. With tides SOG over sometimes 10 knots. Same 7.5 through the water.

Third day underway at 06:00 and had seas 3-5 .. swells mostly. Got to Barnegat Inlet at 3pm. A little wild ride going in, following seas with some breakers and out bout tide. 7.5 through the water.. through the inlet about 2.3 knots SOG. Had the crab the boat to go straight. Handled very well. Made it through channel to bay ok. Glad to draw 30 inches because markers were still a mess from Sandy.

Since that time I have had it out 3 times.

First time went out and it was raining and winds from east at about 10 knots. My wife and myself only crew. Used all sails including Code Zero. Everything worked ok. We stayed out over night at anchor off Beachwood NJ. Made dinner, watched DVD, and use generator to run A/c to provide heat 40 degrees that night and most of the day.

Second time out the wind was 20 knots, gust to 30 knots. & people on board. We sailed with 50% Genny only and were doing about 7-8 knots. Boat handled very well. Other than a couple powerboats, we were the only ones out on the water, especially sailing.

Third time out winds out of south at about 10-15 knots. We had to tack down the bay from Good Luck Point to Forked River the out to Tices Shoal.. I guess straight line 10 miles. No problem with my wife and myself tacking or handling the boat. The boat is quick 7-8 knots into the wind. Took about 4 hours and came back in about 1.5 hours with same sea conditions. We tacked back down wind instead of using Code zero. Next time we will try that downwind.

Other than a few warranty issues I have that I hope get resolved, the boat has been great. Doing exactly what I think it should do. My previous boats are Hunter 33’ (2006) we had for 5 years, a McGregor 26X for 6 years, and a Macgregor 21 for 2 years. This boat goes where no Hunter 33 dare go. We are in places now that we have not been to in 5 years. Barnegat Bay run about 4-5’ through most of the bay with the channels and some areas at 7’.

This is a perfect boat for Barnegat Bay since it is so shallow. Once they can get a reliable dealer up here I think we will see more boats. Remember this is the first boat made and it is loaded with just about everything you need.

Please contact me if you have any questions. I know there are a couple of Gemini M105’s on the Bay and I hope to meet up with you.

Jack Phillips
Alternative IV
jackphillips195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11   #113

Boat: Hunter 36

Jack Phillips, thanks for the videos! Would have liked to see the inside of the boat a little too, though.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:05   #114
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

i am surprised that tropic cat didnt pick up on the ressemblance between a catalac 10m and this new gemini. when i showed the interior pics to my crew on my catalac 10m they thought it was an upgraded catalac 10m. We all now that that is supposed to be dates model, although favoured by me. Amazing that gemini has used features of 20+ catalac in its new design and sells that for innovation! I would also like to know why noone ever considers the drying out capacity of cats. It is a very important feature that your cat can dry out without damage to hulls or keels! In my case I havent used a marina in 5 yeras and my catalac dries out twice a day here in Mozambique North, this allows me to use best protected anchorages, to bring stuff aboard, to clean bottom.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:42   #115
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It will be interesting to sail against a Gemini 35 at some point, maybe next year in Georgetown.

Certainly, the drying out on the tide is one of the things that makes a cat a fiscally sound option for me. As well as the possibly of installing a permanent mooring locally in a shoal area.
Old 13-02-2014, 06:59   #116
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
i am surprised that tropic cat didnt pick up on the ressemblance between a catalac 10m and this new gemini. when i showed the interior pics to my crew on my catalac 10m they thought it was an upgraded catalac 10m. We all now that that is supposed to be dates model, although favoured by me. Amazing that gemini has used features of 20+ catalac in its new design and sells that for innovation! I would also like to know why noone ever considers the drying out capacity of cats. It is a very important feature that your cat can dry out without damage to hulls or keels! In my case I havent used a marina in 5 yeras and my catalac dries out twice a day here in Mozambique North, this allows me to use best protected anchorages, to bring stuff aboard, to clean bottom.
I did notice it!! Really...

The Geminis are a legacy of the British catamaran family tree as Tony Smith worked with Tom Lack (Catalac builder) before immigrating to America.

Richard Woods explained to me that tis no accident the Gemini and the Catalac are similar layouts. People forget that the original American Gemini catamaran was built from British molds.

One of the Catalac rivals in the early 1970's was the Aristocat. It failed to sell as it wasn't as good a boat as the Catalac. Years later Tony Smith got the Aristocat moulds and it became the first Gemini.

Hunter Marine has just completed the circle.

This history is on my website.

Catalac Catamarans, History, information, reviews
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 08:00   #117
Marine Service Provider

yes I remember now that you mention that on your website, still would have been good to draw attention to it, by the way your website is unique in its quality of indepth
info, doing our catalacs great honour
Old 13-02-2014, 09:15   #118
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The British influence on the earlier boats is well know. Gemini effectively and in press releases disowned what they called a "flawed" British inspired design in introducing the 105.
So the Gemini 35 design is as hard to explain as ever.......
Old 22-02-2014, 21:20   #119
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The British influence on the earlier boats is well know. Gemini effectively and in press releases disowned what they called a "flawed" British inspired design in introducing the 105.
So the Gemini 35 design is as hard to explain as ever.......
maybe it is easy to explain if we accept that the Catalac cats were innovative at the time of their design and build, the 80ties. the Gemini cats are however not comparable i agree, they are not passage makers, they might sail faster but cannot take a knock, also the central westerbeke with sonic drive looses the advantage of simplicity and redundancy we get with twin marine diesel and saildrives. I insist that tropical island gunkholing, as I have been doing here wiout entering marina in 5 years, cannot done better than with catalac cat. If a cats sensitive keel and hull doesnt allow the cat to dry out on the ntide ALL THE TIME the owner will miss out on anhoring real close, more protected from the elements. My point is that we seem to see multihull as a one purpose concept, meaning that we should rather than judge a cats virtues on the basis of sailing closer to the wind, spaciousness, as many heads as their are staterooms, we should actually test a cats usefullness, real capacity for cruising, or lounging, or racing, or marina sitting....
My idea of cruisingf with a sail yacht is to make passage to where I will be able to gunkhole anchor close to coast and often dry out.
Old 23-02-2014, 05:48   #120

Not only are they from the same historical family, there are only so many ways to layout a "narrow" beam 30-35' catamaran. TomCat is largely the same boat with some minor changes.

I would be curious to hear how they are selling and what owners who have had one for a little while think.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini