Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 19:04   #61
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30
It's when wave size approach or surpass the beam of the boat that my comments pertain two (RE tripping) Pretty hard to control the exact relation of the boat to waves in severe conditions (Queens birthday type storm) Even with sea anchor deployed.

There are certainly lots of ideas about what is safe and what isn't. Richard did abandon his own boat in what were far from severe conditions (IMO) and the boat was later found floating upright with no damage.

SMJ:
If you happen across another 34' cat with 20" of loaded bridgedeck clearance carrying a 3-4K cruising payload. You be sure to let me know.
How about a Seawind 1000? True ours has been stretched to 36' but fully loaded with fuel, water and all the things we have for living aboard, our bridgedeck has 24" of clearance.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:43   #62

Boat: PC44 Beach Marine Sailing Cat
Re: New Gemini Legacy 35

I had a quote for this cat 2 weeks ago as follows -
A 2013 OWNER ( 3 cabin, 1 head ) 2 x 15HP YANMAR 2YM15 $184,995
OWNER ( 2 cabin, 2 head ) 2 x 15HP YANMAR 2YM15 $189,995
02 EQUIPMENT CONFIGURATION ESSENTIAL CRUISING PACK $19,546
COCKPIT UPGRADE PACK (X) Additional $7,305
INTERIOR UPGRADE PACK (I) Additional $2,991
Not sure how to attach the pdf in this forum but happy to forward if needed
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
It looks like they added some to the stern so it's mostly a stretched version, I think. It does come with twin diesels and a square topped main. Can't find any specs yet.
Gemini Legacy 35 Video Preview | Confidential
Peterbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:38   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Well there are your facts and what I choose to believe. I personally measured a Seawind w/o extensions and found clearance 24" to 26" depending where you measured this past summer. this boat was totally lightship and only used for day sailing. Based on designed displacement of the boat I would guess that it would only take around 2000 lbs to drop to 20" clearance.

the Seawind is certainly a fine boat, but not quite what I wanted.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:49   #64
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30
Well there are your facts and what I choose to believe. I personally measured a Seawind w/o extensions and found clearance 24" to 26" depending where you measured this past summer. this boat was totally lightship and only used for day sailing. Based on designed displacement of the boat I would guess that it would only take around 2000 lbs to drop to 20" clearance.

the Seawind is certainly a fine boat, but not quite what I wanted.
Here's a picture taken this morning. Fully loaded for liveaboard cruising with over 100 gallons of water, 44 gallons of gas, 20 gallons of it set on the stern arch, and two full 17lb propane bottles also set on the stern.
Oh yeah I was wrong, it was only 23.5" not 24". Must have been the weight of the morning dew:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3677326529.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	47792  
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:57   #65
Marine Service Provider

Here is the brochure as noted above...

members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/2013GeminiLegacy35.pdf
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:07   #66

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Here is the brochure as noted above...

members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/2013GeminiLegacy35.pdf

Don't forget

$1,914
DELIVERY
Truck Unloading $1,700

Rigging, Commissioning, Launching and Client Handover
$3,400

Delivery Cost $4,995
Old 08-10-2012, 08:19   #67

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

She appears to be a great coastal cruiser, ICW, LI Sound, Chesapeake Bay, etc etc However she is pricey. Hmmmmmm.....musing....$250k for new or $250k for a Leopard 43 out of charter. What would you do?
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:38   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'm sure they give you a deal on some of the adds on at the boats how. under used to throw in the sailing package and the one boat went by water so had some hours on the engines and MAYBE sails!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:38   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
She appears to be a great coastal cruiser, ICW, LI Sound, Chesapeake Bay, etc etc However she is pricey. Hmmmmmm.....musing....$250k for new or $250k for a Leopard 43 out of charter. What would you do?
Sail Away Catamarans had a Leopard in this same price range that we were cross shopping the day of the show. My wife preferred the larger leopard hands down, but I did not like the 4 cabins/4 heads charter feel as much.

For living aboard or extended cruising I would go for the extra room, for a family weekend get away boat I think the Gemini would "fit" better while I am still working.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:43   #70

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Here are a few pictures of the New Gemini Legacy 35 at the Annapolis boat show
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA060323.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	47815   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA060324.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	47816  

Name:	PA060325.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	47817   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA060326.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	47818  

Name:	PA060327.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	47819   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA060328.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	47820  

Name:	PA060329.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	47821  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 21:29   #71

I just got back from the St. Petersburg boat show and I went on the Gemini 35 twice just to make sure I got it right. The boat seems to be solidly built and a lot of fun. I would have loved to go sailing on it but that wasn't going to happen during the show. The model was the two cabin two head version which I didn't really like for my family because other than the owners cabin the other cabin is the starboard aft one which has a very low overhead. It's almost like a single berth unless you have two very young kids. If you have a family I highly recommend the three cabin one head version. For the price I saw its hands down better then the comparable monohauls Hunter 36 and the Catalina 36 footer. They all priced out relatively the same but the Gemini has more living space and I'm sure it's faster sailing as well. This is definitely a niche boat though for people dreaming of sailing catamarans in the Bahamas and other fairly close ports but don't have 500k to throw down for a FP (Fountaine-Pajot), leopard or Lagoon. Speaking of Leopard, I've been to two boat shows and have found the Leopard Brokers to be completely rude and quite ignorant. I will not be purchasing a Leopard in the future if that's how they want to be represented. on the other hand, the Lagoon, FP and Gemini Brokers where all very personable and easy to talk to. If I had 500k to blow the FP is awesome but that's not in the cards right now so in short, I'd be happy to own the Gemini and think it's the best bang for the buck you can find right now..
flchargerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:15   #72
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Worked in South Africa for a short while, met a lot of great people, had a great time. Particularly round Capetown.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:44   #73

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I went to the show Sunday. Enjoyed seeing our next possible boats. We loved the leopard, once I engaged the rep and asked some questions that let him know we would be in the market for a used leopard down the road , he warmed right up and very pleasant and engaged. The Gemini reps however were too busy texting or looking at the ceiling to even be cordial. I loved the cockpit changes on the Gem. But the aft cabin is tiny. The walkways are so narrow it was claustrophobic and I didn't care for the fit and finish in the forward cabin. It will be interesting to see if the gelcoat holds up better the 105s. I was also disappointed by the inflated prices st the show on everything else. Electronics were 10-15% higher than west marine. No name fishing gear as expensive as G Loomis or St croix rods. All kinds of walmart crap for more than walmart. I went expecting to get a decent deal on a mackpack and the boat show discount was you get a free stainless ring that you don't need if you have a topping lift,,,, sigh. Guess were ordering a sailrite . Also was looking for dinghy davits and found none.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27   #74

Actually I personally have not had a big issue with the Leopard reps but my wife has. She is Filipino and say what you want but they have made her and my kids feel very unwelcome twice now. The first time she tried to go on they said she couldn't (yes this actually happened). When I showed up they immediately said we could go in as long as I was there (I happen to be white). The next time we saw them she went on the boat first with the kids and again the rep immediately got on her case until I stepped in. Keep in mind my wife is all of 5ft and doesn't bother anyone. It's sad to say but I can only attribute these two incidents to prejudice. I hate using that word and think its a crutch in general for many minorities but in these two cases its very fitting. I'm pretty pissed off about the whole thing, but in the end I have heard some very bad reports about South Africans and their hatred for all things not white so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Anyway, that's what happened to me, if it hasn't happened to anyone else then all the better.
flchargerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 11:00   #75

Boat: Gemini Legacy 35

I will be taking ownership of Hull #1518 or #8 of the Legacy 35 model. I will visiting the Hunter factory where it is being built in early Feb 2013. There are specs on the internet but they are changing as they are building the boats. For example, I rec'd an email a few weeks ago saying that they will be upgrading the fuel tanks from 18 gallons each to 28 gallons each. They are also changing the entrance way into the cabins to arched ways to gain a few inches of headroom. If you have specific questions you should contact an agent from the Catamaran Company.
Ken K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini