Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2015, 01:10   #76

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: New FP 40

The engines wouldn't bother me.

Why do folks need bigger engines? For charter cats of course but for owners?
Both cats I owned had the smallish standard engines. so far I have never felt the need for bigger engines.
Except a situation when one engine died and i had to motor into headwinds.

I'd rather save the weight and expense of the bigger engines and get some huge light wind sails.

Just showed the renderings to the admiral. First comments:
nice exterior, except she doesn't like the transom steps, looks like they are to high to get out of the water if one has trouble with the boarding ladder. See the movie open ocean.

Looks like good ventilatio and light throughout.
Owners hull is excellent with separate head and shower though she would like to know where the washine machine is supposed to go.
The 'office space' down below looks too small to be useable. Maybe some shelfing is better use of the space.

In the guest hull she would prefer only one head and separate shower area, possibly hosting the washing machine.

Interior design is nice but she doesn't like the light color of the veneer. She would love more round edges as the boxy design gives too many bruises. Overall the looks are IKEA style and she thinks the hard edges will look worn pretty soon.
The coffee table in the saloon is a joke for living aboard. Hopefully they have a real table option.

The Euro pricing I have seen looks in line with the 39. To me this really is a better version of the 39
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 05:54   #77
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Anybody have info on a new FP 40' cat?

Good points rabbi. What is the euro price for this model?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 06:44   #78

Re: Anybody have info on a new FP 40' cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Good points rabbi. What is the euro price for this model?
I received some advertising email stating base price is 248k euro. I think the L 39 starts at 245k so on par.
Still waiting for a full price list from FP.
Old 16-06-2015, 09:13   #79
Marine Service Provider

We're a long-time charter company in the BVI the represents many of the catamaran lines. The introductory pricing we received on the New 40 today is impressive, slightly more than the Mahe 36 but considerably less than the Lipari 41. Based on the success of the Helia 44, we believe FP has a winning concept with this model and look forward to adding them to our fleet. We believe the first productions will be completed in April 2016.
Nauti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 09:39   #80
Marine Service Provider

The new Fountaine Pajot 40 information was released today and posted on the Atlantic-Cruising Yachts Web site.

FP 40 - NEW! — Atlantic Cruising Yachts

BYA2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 09:42   #81

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Well there you go. A boat built for a market, and that market is enthusiastic. It looks like FP have a winner on their hands.
Old 16-06-2015, 09:50   #82

Boat: Lagoon 42

I really really really love the specs of the new 40. The wife really loves that is a LOT cheaper than the Helia. We may have a winner :-). I can't wait to see the performance reports.
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 10:17   #83
Marine Service Provider

thanks for the nice note. Designers say she's designed to have very similar performance to the Lipari she replaces. Kept light and strong with injection molding, and has slightly better sail area.

FP 40 - NEW! — Atlantic Cruising Yachts

Want pricing?
http://http://www.atlantic-cruising.com/contact-es
BYA2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 14:15   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYA2014 View Post
Kept light

It may very well be very successful, it may meet the non sailing need of the market. BUT - it ain't light, it ain't even close to light. You can't see light from there.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 14:28   #85

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
It may very well be very successful, it may meet the non sailing need of the market. BUT - it ain't light, it ain't even close to light. You can't see light from there.
Light is definitely a relative term. It is not light compared to performance boats but it is right on the range of most cruising cats but it has a much better sail plan.

But I think it is a bit too much to say this is for those with "non sailing" needs. Maybe for those with non-racing needs. I don't see why this FP 40 could not sail as well or better than something like the L400, and cruising at 7-9 knots is considered sailing in most people's books. Yes, it is no Gun Boat but it never intended to be Gun Boat. Besides, Gun Boats flip.
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 14:56   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti1 View Post
The introductory pricing we received on the New 40 today is impressive, slightly more than the Mahe 36 but considerably less than the Lipari 41.
Maybe the USD pricing is attractive (don't know) but the Euro pricing doesn't look impressive to me for 38.5ft.

Base price is 248k for the owner version. Add the minimum equipment pack (Grand Large) @ 15k, minimum electronics @12k, plus documentation, launching & rigging @ 7k and the minimum sail away price is ~ 285k.
That is without essentials like lazybag, a battery charger, antifouling or a gas oven. Add that and a few other minor options and the realistic sail away price passes 300k Euro.

That is about 35% more than the 2015 Mahe. And the gas oven was standard equipment on the Mahe

To me this is not impressive pricing and +35% is not "slightly more than the Mahe". They are just matching the direct competition (Lagoon 39).
Given the much better sail area and displacement figures compared to the Lagoon 39 this looks like a fair deal to me. Of course the new 40 is quite heavy but in relation to the competition she looks good (on paper).

Overall it's a decent step up for the new entry level cat. Maybe the Mahe was a slow seller at the end but I think this step is too big for many prospective Mahe buyers.

BTW: a larger dinner table for the salon is just 1626 Euro
Old 16-06-2015, 15:00   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Thats a bit harsh, no?

Compared to the competition she doesn't look too bad.
Of course there are lighter boats but with similar size & comfort at a similar price? Not that many.
Old 16-06-2015, 15:21   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
The coffee table in the saloon is a joke for living aboard. Hopefully they have a real table option.
It depends on where you live. I live aboard my Belize in the tropics and have taken the "real table" out and replaced it with a coffee table. If I need a big table, the one in the cockpit is fine. (It was one of the first things I did after the delivery trip).

But I do see the point in cold climates.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 15:30   #89
cruiser

New FP38

The Helia 44 is a nice design and its 44 feet.

Scale up the Helia 44 design to a Saba 50 and well, now you have a very nice boat.

Now scale down the Helia 44 design to a FP40 = 38 footer and you have what is called a SLOW, FAT, SHORT, DOG

This will be an anemic, slow boat and with 2x 20hp engines, the first owners will be selling them after the first year of suffering.

A few smart buyers will at least buy the 30hp engines with the folding props for the extra $6000 usd.

At $475,000 usd, a LOT of other boats are far better in price and performance
NB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 16:37   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It depends on where you live. I live aboard my Belize in the tropics and have taken the "real table" out and replaced it with a coffee table. If I need a big table, the one in the cockpit is fine. (It was one of the first things I did after the delivery trip).

But I do see the point in cold climates.
I agree that this could work for a couple in warm and dry climates.
We have two kids and they occupy all the table space they can get with dinosaurs, drawings, seashells, whatever.
I'm happy if we can free one table for the meals without a riot.