Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2015, 08:28   #106
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Anybody have info on a new FP 40' cat?

Yes Rohan, that's an interesting innovation. The other benefit seems to be more usable storage opposite the head, which would normally be a longer vanity/storage area. I'd assume the WM would be located there. The WM is an option at a reasonable price as well.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 09:44   #107
cruiser

FP38

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I'd assume the WM would be located there. The WM is an option at a reasonable price as well.
Washing Machine is in the Starboard Forward Bulkhead.
You have to stand in the shower pan to load the WM, as its part of the shower stall.
NB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 13:12   #108

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: New FP 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
The IKEA styling is more and more the norm with European boats. Everyone is comparing this to the Lagoon 39 or 400, but I see much more similarity with the new Leopard 40 , a radical departure where with much lighter colored interior and everything square-shaped with right angled edges instead of rounded, just like this one. Apparently, you do get more usable space on square tables as opposed to a round ones.
The square design (seating, table, etc) is something we actually like very much.

We owned a Lagoon 410 before which had round seating and table. That meant wasted space and no place to stretch out or sleep during off watch. The Mahe we have now was the first FP model with a square interior design and offers much better ergonomics for the size.

What I don't like is the hard edges on many modern interiors. Not only does it give bruises in heavy seas. Most of these hard edges are just glued on edge bands and wear much faster than solid round ones. Combine that with processed wood used for the panels and you get a cheap look and feel almost like IKEA furniture. Looks good when new but wears too fast - at least if the boat is in charter or you have kids on board.

Our Mahe has square design but soft edges and real wood. This is what i would like to see on newer models as well.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 14:00   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: New FP 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
On that we do agree. Everyone has been doing that marketing gimmick for a while.
Not Everyone
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 14:02   #110
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
You may have misunderstood. I'm talking about the head being located completely separate from the shower with it's own door, so two people could use the head and shower at the same time, and both with privacy (you can see this arrangement on the Beneteau 48 & 55, Dufour 450 & 500). That's not the case with any Seawinds that I've seen.
Yep - I did misunderstand. I see your point.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 15:25   #111

Boat: Catalina 350
Re: Anybody have info on a new FP 40' cat?

I think the reference to 40 is confusing as FP also make reference in their marketing to the boat release celebrating 40 years of production.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Speeding Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:44   #112

Boat: Pearson Ensign , Sea Pearl 21

Well I for one am intrigued and will commit to one for 2016. AYC posted a new video, putting a montage together from renderings and the MY 37 to give us more details. Looks fantastic.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11782806...ts/MxntXK9CKZN
Old 26-06-2015, 10:27   #113
Marine Service Provider

A few notes.

The Washer/dryer goes forward of the shower so damp clothes can be staged from a waterproof compartment. (We use an externally vented unit so it actually dries clothes!)
There is also a dedicated compartment for a water-maker, aft starboard, and a generator aft-port. See links below to see actual engineering drawings.

There is a square top main, and a low (easily reachable) boom keeping the CE low for better performance as well. Many choices for head-sails, including a bowsprit for Code 0 or asymmetrical spinnaker type sails.

The displacement and sail area are about proportional to the proven well performing Lipari 41.

On this totally new boat, FP has chosen a narrower waterline beam flaring to a wider hull to accommodate more storage and Island beds inside--good choices, and added buoyancy for long distance cruisers and live-aboards. It's been proven that these more buoyant hulls have better load carrying ability and thus often sail better than narrower, performance oriented hulls--when loaded with the typical cruisers gear

There is a Hi-Low table option. But over 50% of buyers for the 44 chose the cocktail table with storage to have a more open cabin. With the pass through to the covered cockpit--most dining goes on in the cockpit anyway. Many owner's use a textelene enclosure for this space.

Oh, by the way--the sharp corners? All the new boats will have cabinets incorporating a routed out corner with a vinyl strip encased to soften the corner and prevent possible chipping--though this hasn't proven to be a problem--most who have seen it--like it.

Forward of the island bed is the popular desk/make-up table option. Forward of that a totally separate head--so two people can use the head at the same time. Again forward is a vanity with large linen locker opposite, shower forward and storage and/or washer-dryer compartment all the way forward of that.

A part of the dynamic was that FP designers eliminated the small forward single cabin to move everything forward for more room and with the flare of the hull, the forward berth is still a comfortable width similar to the Lipari. (Everything's a trade off--off course--but some pretty good ones by most people's opinions with 20 already sold) See the video on the Atlantic Cruising Yacht site which does an excellent walk through of the boat and includes videos of similar areas from other sisterships to help better explain the spaces.

The power option is about right if you use any of the proven design programs. As designers know, the limitation most often isn't the size of the engine, it's the inefficiency of the prop!

The solution? Autoprops. These are self pitching, feathering, reversing props. From our actual experience they add about 1K of boat speed at the same RPM with a 1K better top end, or more fuel efficiency at lower RPMs. Your boat sails better, reverses better and has extended range. While the cost may seem high initially, it's about the same as the combination of larger engines with folding props--which still don't accomplish the same objective.

Everyone, including smart women, know this: Women for Sail--Auto Props-- Learning Center — Atlantic Cruising Yachts

Just trying to clarify some of the guess work. There are so many things to talk about in this extraordinary new generation cruiser. It's not all things to all people, but for those who want comfort, space and light with good cruising performance--performance that greatly exceeds that of the charter oriented hulls out there--this is worth a second look. After 40 years, and 40 new models you would expect no less.

So enough already about the model designation! As we've all come to realize, trying to get a sense of a catamaran from it's overall length is fruitless. Compared to a similar length monohull they often have 20-40% more volume--same is true when you apply the overall design concepts to the competition--maybe what we really need in the model name is some definition of volume!

So don't guess. Learn more at the only web site that has complete up-to-date information with a walk-through video: FP 40 - NEW! — Atlantic Cruising Yachts

I've been involved with the introduction of many new models in the last 25 years, including the Helia 44 and Saba 50. None have been as exciting and innovative as this hull which incorporates the best of what has come before. Check it out. Hell it's got more to offer than most of the older generation 42 and 43's--ans so at its current price point, with the favorable exchange rate, it's a bargain--maybe that's why so many are being ordered!
BYA2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 15:21   #114

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

In looking at the photos and fact sheets, I didn't see an oven listed as galley equipment. Am I overlooking something or is there really no oven?
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 15:37   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimini View Post
In looking at the photos and fact sheets, I didn't see an oven listed as galley equipment. Am I overlooking something or is there really no oven?
The oven is optional, around 900 euro if i remember correctly.
Old 28-06-2015, 19:06   #116
cruiser

New FP 38

Remember that the Salesman calls these fat wide hulls performance hulls

At $475,000 and no oven?

The Salesman calls them buoyant hulls, we cruisers call them fat wide slow hulls

The Salesman calls this and FP40, we cruisers call it a 38 footer

The Salesman will tell you that a 20 hp with Autoprops will be just as good as 30 hp engines with folding props. We cruisers know that is a big fat LIE, even the woman cruisers are smarter than that.

The Salesman will tell you “maybe what we really need in the model name is some definition of volume!” OK, FAT38.

The Helia 44 design went upto the Saba 50 very nicely, but taking it down to a 38 footer will be a turd.
Old 29-06-2015, 00:46   #117

I think you are a bit harsh.
The overstated name is good reason for feeling deceived and BYA2014's commentary sounds like whistling in the dark in an attempt to calm the waves that could hurt sales.
this is the replacement for two other models and competes against the Lagoon 39 based on dimension and the 400 based on price and ego. FP doesn't have anything to compete against the 380 so this one is destined to become their best selling boat or they will loose marketshare big time.

But compared to its peers made by lagoon / Leopard the new FP40 doesn't look bad on paper.
Why not give them a break until we all can have a look & test sail.
Old 29-06-2015, 05:27   #118
cruiser

New FP 38

rabbi, it's important to note that BYA2014 sells the vast majority of his boats into a Charter program called "Boats as a Business".

This 38 footer FP40 will fit into his Charter program perfectly.
Hell it may have even been designed for his Charter program.

The large 80 gal. (302 liter) fuel tanks is the best part of the design, as these owners will need every drop of it.

They sold 20 already, but you have to feel sorry for those poor soles as the first 20 made are the one's that have all the recall and warranty issues with a new design. These 20 will get hit the hardest.

If a salesman is selling these boats with 20 hp engines and telling the new owners that its just as good as 30hp engines, that is just WRONG.

Those 20 hp engines are in the boat for life and now you have very disappointed owners that are pissed off at that salesman for life, but hey the salesman's pockets are FULL.

In the End it's the Cruisers that get screwed.
Old 29-06-2015, 06:32   #119

Re: New FP 38

EDIT: Sorry, forgot half of my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETNOB View Post
rabbi, it's important to note that BYA2014 sells the vast majority of his boats into a Charter program called "Boats as a Business".

This 38 footer FP40 will fit into his Charter program perfectly.
Hell it may have even been designed for his Charter program.

The large 80 gal. (302 liter) fuel tanks is the best part of the design, as these owners will need every drop of it.
I guess most know that BYA2014 as a FP dealer has obvious commercial agendas when commenting here. The fact that he sells boats into charter is nothing special. Most FP / Lagoon / Leopard do their first years in charter business. Cruising owners are a second thought well after the charter business simply because of the different sales figures.

His comments that this boat is the most exciting thing since sliced bread may be a tiny bit biased.

To me the FP40 isn't exactly sensational or revolutionary or a supercheap deal. It's just a new FP design to keep up with the competition of the Lagoon 400 and Leopard 40.

Anyway I am much more interested in what will happen at the lower end. Will there be a real successor to the Mahe or Lagoon 380 or are these smaller designs doomed to fade away. Simply because I think a Lagoon 400 or similar is more than the two of us really need or want when the kids are gone in a couple of years.

Quote:
They sold 20 already, but you have to feel sorry for those poor soles as the first 20 made are the one's that have all the recall and warranty issues with a new design. These 20 will get hit the hardest.
All new products have issues. Nothing special here.

Quote:
If a salesman is selling these boats with 20 hp engines and telling the new owners that its just as good as 30hp engines, that is just WRONG.

Those 20 hp engines are in the boat for life and now you have very disappointed owners that are pissed off at that salesman for life, but hey the salesman's pockets are FULL.
Customers spending that amount of money should be mature enough to know what they want or need. Anyone who lets a salesman talk him into something else gets what he deserves.
That being said the last option I would buy is bigger engines or tanks. Its a sailboat and if it fails at this criteria it's a no-go anyway, regardless of the engine or tank size.
Old 29-06-2015, 06:36   #120
Marine Service Provider

Gas oven is included in popular, Oceanic package. (Indivdiually priced at $1,247 before any discounts). This package, along with A/C, generator and other popular options included in the 'well equipped" package price of $450,000.
FP has chosen to also offer the boat as a very basic boat and allow clients to do work themselves, or have a simpler, less expensive boat.

ACY offers a popular combination Microwave/convection oven. Many clients are ordering this rather than the Gas oven--which again, is why this was not made standard in the base boat.
BYA2014 is offline   Reply With Quote