Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2019, 12:01   #1

Boat: L42
New Excess Catamarans!

https://excess-catamarans.com/en/catamarans

I am not impressed. I guess we will wait to see more details, but they look like existing Lagoon hulls with Outboard Helms! Heavy just like Lagoons.

Excess 12

Length overall

11.73 m / 38’5’’

Waterline length

11.46 m / 37’6’’

Beam overall

6.73 m / 22’1’’

Mast clearance

18,27 m / 59’11’’

Draft

1.35 m / 4’5’’

Light displacement (EC)

10.3 T / 22.712 lbs

Excess 15

Length overall

14,76 m / 48’5”

Waterline length

14.31 m / 46’11”

Beam overall

8.03 m / 26’4”

Mast clearance

27.9 m / 91’6’’

Draft

1.40 m / 4’7’’

Light displacement (EC)

18.4 T / 40,572 lbs
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 07:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: New Excess Catamarans!

Strange concept.. Looks like the mix of Lagoon and Nautitech. Will it be as large as Logoon or will it be as fast as Nauthitec, I'd doubted very much.. If it is 10-15 % cheaper than Lagoon, maybe some potential Lagoon customers who wants a bit of more performance at the expense of forgetting the fly bridge , etc. can buy it. Vicea versa, some potential Nauthitech customers can consider it for a bit of extra performance . Yes, she's heavy but the sail area is genereous , nevertheless the hulls are quite fatty..No idea about the bridge deck clearance..
In those days where the demand for cats are at top, they might sell a few, we will see..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 08:13   #3

Boat: Colegate 26

MAST CLEARANCE 91'6"!?!?! Is that a typo? Holy crap! It's not even 49' long. And it should be able to have the boom lower than a Lagoon since it doesn't have the flybridge nonsense up there.

Holy crap ...
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 08:19   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

The comparable Lagoon looks like the Lagoon 50.

https://www.cata-lagoon.com/en/50

Same LOA at 48'5". But it has a mast clearance of 87', and that's including having the boom raised several feet to clear a bimini top over the raised helm station.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 08:47   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
The comparable Lagoon looks like the Lagoon 50.

https://www.cata-lagoon.com/en/50

Same LOA at 48'5". But it has a mast clearance of 87', and that's including having the boom raised several feet to clear a bimini top over the raised helm station.
It does talk about high aspect sailplan on the site.

I think they look pretty cool. Great visibility from the interior along with an inviting cockpit. If priced less than a Lagoon, I think it will be a winner.

Matt
Old 24-01-2019, 15:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

It appears there is truth in advertising, EXCESS it certainly is.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 15:21   #7

Boat: Leopard 39

So...how would helm enclosures be rigged? It looks like otherwise, you'd be sitting in the rain or direct sun?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 20:32   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

38’ and almost 23,000 lbs.? [emoji15]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 03:55   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
So...how would helm enclosures be rigged? It looks like otherwise, you'd be sitting in the rain or direct sun?
Well, this is the same problem (not for me but for many others..) as for Nautitech and Catana's. Of course one can find a some way to get a kind of protection but is it worth ?
Nautitech and Catana are more performing boats and they claim that with this helm position you can better check the sails and enjoy fast sailing. So shall we assume that Excess is also a performance boat ? To me not at all..
Actually this is the main problem of this boat, I am not sure what kind of target audiance are they calling for; charter companies, live aboards, blue water sailors, racers or a bit of all of them.
#1 rule in marketing reads: "you can not please to all of yr potential buyers, all of the time (Aspirine positioning..), you should define a specific positioning to set yourself apart from the crowd".

It seems that they couldn't find any specific positioning in today's crowded market and wanted to be a bit of everything. That's OK, but if you go head to head with established brands, than you need to build better quality boats at lower cost.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 22:06   #10

Boat: Excess 15 catamaran

I just bought one, my sea trial is Thursday August 19th. I have had many monohulls, my last being an Ericson 38. Taking the family cruising which includes my 80 year old mother. Needed something roomy and with few ladders. The boat is beautiful. I like the two helm stations but no real cover from inclimate weather, just small canopies. I got the Pulse Package which is the very tall mast. The boat is loaded and looks impressive. Really liked the cockpit and the saloon arrangement. I have never sailed a catamaran, this one is supposed to appeal to monohull sailors. We hope to leave on the Baja HaHa November 1st. Need to train quite a bit beforehand, I will let you know how the sea trial goes
fscott007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 05:07   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Scott, which one? And can you give us the details on the pulse package with regards to the change in mast height and sail area?
Thanks
Bobber
Old 14-08-2021, 08:09   #12

Boat: 46' to 48' cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscott007 View Post
I just bought one, my sea trial is Thursday August 19th. I have had many monohulls, my last being an Ericson 38. Taking the family cruising which includes my 80 year old mother. Needed something roomy and with few ladders. The boat is beautiful. I like the two helm stations but no real cover from inclimate weather, just small canopies. I got the Pulse Package which is the very tall mast. The boat is loaded and looks impressive. Really liked the cockpit and the saloon arrangement. I have never sailed a catamaran, this one is supposed to appeal to monohull sailors. We hope to leave on the Baja HaHa November 1st. Need to train quite a bit beforehand, I will let you know how the sea trial goes
Congratulations! Wife and i gave them a look at the Miami boat show pre-covid. Some neat features. Be pretty interesting to see the reef chart, suspect you'll be taking some of that main down pretty early.

I'm jealous, your a few years ahead of us on exit.
slowNlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 13:51   #13

First we all like what we like. I dont like the mack truck windows, although they are probably great in sunny warm weather. I just dont like the vertical windows.

I like the leopard boats, I like how they "hide" the vertical windows.

Will be very interested to see how it sails and what kind of real speeds to gives.

Congrats to the other scott on his boat.
Old 14-08-2021, 19:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Scott, which one? And can you give us the details on the pulse package with regards to the change in mast height and sail area?
Thanks
Bobber
I believe it is 1375 sqft
Old 14-08-2021, 19:14   #15

I will let you know Thursday night how it sails. I have no Idea, winds in California are light this time if year. I have watched many videos, promotional and reviews. One video from I believe Sail Magazine had true wind of about 7kts and on a reach with the code 0 did about 6kts. I will let you know.

Tags
catamaran