Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 08:20   #76

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: New Excess Catamaran Brand

From the first discussion page... https://excess-catamarans.com/en/new...oes-with-ratio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EBB580A-7B87-45F9-AF66-A02BEC47E518.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	178769  
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 16:16   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Nice!
ANJOKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:32   #78

Boat: Leopard 40

I think if you want to stay at anchor, she's not a bad boat. But we cruised for 3 years and will be cruising again in another 3 years. The things that stick out to me are the galley (not enough protection when underway in rough weather), the duel helms at the aft, the heads are so big you'd get thrown around, no place for a dingy, I see no point in having a head per cabin, and where in the hell are all the handholds?

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:52   #79

Boat: Cal 33

It's Beneteau, I expect their primary target is the charter market.
Helms aft is never a good idea unless you are full time, short course racing. This is clearly not a racing cat. Even for charter, having winter mid-western guests helm in the tropics in direct sunlight is not ideal. And not being able to see the opposite bow seams counter intuitive with new sailors. They did it to gain lounging space. Parking might be slightly easier for rookies if there are also throttles on both sides. I'm not a fan of the flybridge helm as you lose so much mainsail. The helm at the bulkhead that peaks over the cabin top is ideal as you can see 360, you're still in the social area and there is protection from spray. I delivered a cat across the Atlantic with twin aft steering stations. It was brutal, even in moderate weather. But again, it's a charter boat.
Nice lines on the hulls. It's good to see the dangerous reverse bows going away.
captainwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:41   #80

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwoody View Post
Nice lines on the hulls. It's good to see the dangerous reverse bows going away.

Why are reverse bows dangerous?
Old 10-08-2019, 08:55   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
(except the 420 succeeded by the 421 by removing the hybrid propulsion and some bimini changes)

The 421 also revised the hull shape a bit by removing that weird bump underneath on the aft end. On another thread someone explained that the bump was for extra buoyancy to carry the heavy hybrid batteries. I wonder if the 421 sails a little better? It seems like she should.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:30   #82

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I guess, because the bow may gig into a wave and help the cat to flip over the bow when going straight over a high breaking wave... .
Old 10-08-2019, 16:10   #83

Boat: Cal 33

Quote:
Reverse bows dig into containers, logs, seaweed etc. increasing damage and likelihood of injury. So many boats designed nowadays with minimal consideration for sea worthiness. They should hire people with ocean experience to help with design.
captainwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 19:45   #84

Boat: L42

Most all modern cats and quite a few monos are designed with plumb bows. Somehow they are miraculously not sinking. I seriously doubt the tiny bit of reverse cant on these boats will make much if any difference. If you hit a container with any of them with significant speed it's probably not going to make any difference if there is a slight slope one way or another.

I also doubt if it really is going to dig in and contribute to pitch poling. I actually kind of like the look. It would certainly never stop me from considering a design based on that.

This is of course just my non- professional opinion.

Please feel free to critique my views on this [emoji16][emoji848][emoji30]
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 22:19   #85

Boat: Outremer 55L

Reverse bows add volume down low way forward without as much drag as bulbs or destroyer bows, and with much less drag than similar volume up higher with flared bows. Gunboat and similar designs use them for that reason. At the extreme they’re popular for wave piercing bow designs - think Team Philips (well, maybe not that one, not a successful design).

It’s also done as a ‘look’ - I must be fast if I’ve got reverse bows.

Plumb bows OTOH are sensible. Can still provide volume low and forward, and maximise waterline and minimise marina costs.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:22   #86

Boat: Nautitech Open 40

The Excess seems to have the same overall design concept as our Nautitech Open 40. We've now been living full time on our 40 for 3 months, on our way down the French Atlantic coast.
Wheels on each stern - great position - easy to get to, can see both sails, visibility not a problem even thru the cabin windows (easy to step up 1 step for clear 360 view), mostly while underway on autohelm anyway. if weather is rubbish and need to actually helm (once, so far) we do the old fashioned thing and get properly dressed. Very secure location in rough weather. Engine controls one side only so was concerned about parking, but it turns out just another technique to learn, no problem.
Galley up, love it. Lots of worktop space, social, full visibility. In rough weather it is more challenging but we've always managed to make a proper meal.
Sailing performance is another topic but we've not been disappointed. Far from it.
We spend far more time at anchor than sailing (very few marina days) so picked a boat to suit that.
There are many small design & build issues that I don't like but there has to be compromises and we could not afford perfection.
The design concept though (open, one level), we love it.
AndyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:00   #87

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwoody View Post
Reverse bows dig into containers, logs, seaweed etc. increasing damage and likelihood of injury. So many boats designed nowadays with minimal consideration for sea worthiness. They should hire people with ocean experience to help with design.
Not sure I'm buying into this thinking. I would contend that first they are stronger in the area making contact with any object. I'd also think that due to waterline length they'd be a little faster. Of course all of this is marketing and helps sell boats. So essentially whatever floats your boat.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:05   #88

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
That's just someone's opinion. You'd probably have to ask a multiple naval architects to get a real answer.

Interestingly, my boat has more traditional bows. Not straight, and definately not reverse.

When I hit a dock at 3.5knts (problem with the engine), my bows saw the boat ride up over the dock. Scared the bejesus out of the woman on the small motor vessel the other side of the dock. Other than some scratched paint, there was no damage.

I imagine with reverse bows (which look cool, and give more waterline length), the boat would have either stopped dead, or the bow would have been pushed down a little.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:28   #89

You might be right that reverse bows are a little more dangerous in some situations. My Crowther tri has traditional bows. There are 2 smaller cruise ships (less than 150') that spend the off season at my old marina. One lost propulsion when pulling out and hit my tri at a low speed. He broke my lines and tore up some stanchions and plowed it into the boat in front. It was a cabin cruiser and a family was asleep on board. They woke up to the commotion and when the father stepped onto his back porch there was the nose of my boat inches away from the nose on his face. My boat just rode right up over his stern and really wasn't damaged that badly considering. I'll bet reverse bows might have had some issues in this instance. The cruise ship company wrote us both checks right away.

The new Gunboat vid shows the boat really flying along and the reverse bows are just scooping the water up and throwing it back on the front cockpit. Although not really dangerous it will be really wet.
Old 12-08-2019, 19:57   #90

Boat: Catalina 42

Doesn't this boat seem kind of heavy given its intention? At 48 feet it's over 18T. Or am I missing something? The Nautitech 46 is 12T and the Saona 47 is 14T. I know these numbers can be approximate, but seems like a big difference.
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran