Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 18:42   #1

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149
New design 2019 Yamaha T25 High Thrust

May be of interest to those looking into outboards.

Yamaha redesigned the T25 high thrust for this year. T25C. Its now fuel injected, 432cc 141lbs, 16A alternator and available in 25" leg. Runs the same 3.5"G series gearbox as the yamaha 60hp instead of the 3" gearbox on the standard 25. Dual thrust prop it comes with is 12.25x9. Its networkable like the large ones for all the fuel flow and engine stats on a MFD.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ght-Technology

VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 19:39   #2
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: New design 2019 Yamaha T25 High Thrust

Thanks for this info, much appreciated.

Alan (44c), perfect for the 48c? Or try and find a 30hp?
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 22:38   #3

Looks very good. About the same weight as a Honda 20, but would have a lot more maneuvering grunt.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 00:51   #4
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Looks very good. About the same weight as a Honda 20, but would have a lot more maneuvering grunt.
Hopefully nice and economical, too.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:09   #5

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Very interesting. I've looked but can't see any comparative fuel economy figures. Has anyone got some? I like the lighter weight and hopefully lower fuel consumption. These guys test the new motor at full throttle and get 9.1 litres per hour. On my carby 25 I get about 4.5 litres per hour at 7 knots under one motor but you can't compare the two.

Yamaha F25 Four-stroke Outboard Review - BoatAdvice

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:03   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
New design 2019 Yamaha T25 High Thrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Hopefully nice and economical, too.

Yes, assuming it has a lean burn feature similar to Suzuki’s where during mid RPM operation the mixture is leaned way out, it will burn significantly less fuel.
I’m betting it does, Yamaha isn’t stupid.

Lean burn has been around for a long time, Chrysler did it in the 70’s, followed quickly by Honda, if memory serves, unfortunately a lean mix means high temps and that means I believe high NO’s, so it’s tough to pass stringent emissions, so you don’t see it in cars anymore I don’t believe.

For those that are interested, a “lean burn” is one of the reasons that Diesels are stingy in fuel consumption.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:24   #7

About time, people have been installing the 20HP Honda with high thrust 4 blade propeller but standard gearbox hoping to get substantially better performance than the Yamaha Dual Thrust 9.9 - only to be disappointed. I would have thought Yamaha could have tweaked the 9.9 to 15 - 18 Hp, which would also have been nice.
Now Yanmar is releasing a diesel outboard, some of the bigger custom cats may incorporate these in lieu of SDs

https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...iesel-outboard
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 14:26   #8

People I know switched from Honda 20's to Yamaha 9.9s (for cost reasons) hoping to not lose much performance, only to be dissapointed.

Double the horsepower does make a difference. More difference than a gearbox and prop in this case.

And the old 9.9 was a derated 15. IDK why Yamaha didn't do a 15hp version. IMO that would have suited more people better than the new 9.9 which is an upgraded 8.

The downsides of the old 25HT were its ridiculous weight, around 95kg, its physical size and it's thirst.

Looks like the new one should tick all those boxes.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 19:58   #9

Brand new Yamaha 25hp, electric start, electric tilt, remote steering, never mounted, save $500, $3900, no tax.
, Reno NV, 25 inch extension $400, paid $600.
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 17:26   #10

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

That's a tempting upgrade. It's only partially about the top end, my hope would be to dial back the rpms to make decent progress (6-7knots) with a lot less noise. It's still 2 cyl though. I read something about a new balancer on crank shaft.

A bit off topic, anyone have experience with any of the mounting materials that are supposed to reduce the vibration transmitted into the boat?
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 20:21   #11

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these new motor?

Considering it as an option for powering a Arrow 1200. Even getting accurate dimensions/drawings is proving difficult.
Nick91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 20:59   #12

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I'll give you a fuel consumption reference for the 2018 Yamaha T25XA - which is the 25 inch shaft version (not sold in US, but was installed by Seawind Vietnam). Other than the longer shaft, it is the same as the US model T25LA. All carb models. We have a Seawind 1160 Lite catamaran, 38 ft long, 21.3 ft beam, 14,300 lbs (6.5 t, if you believe the manufacturer). The motors both pull from a central 71 gal fuel tank, that has an electronic float sensor, and as well we refill with 5 gal jugs so we have very good consumption data. The first 185 hrs of usage we are averaging 1.57 gal per hour total fuel running both motors at 3200-3400 RPM, which in flat water is about 7 knots. When we came across the Gulf of Mexico, we had about 17 hrs of motoring with just one engine (trying to conserve fuel, but as it turned out, we sailed almost the entire crossing), and consumption was approx. 1 gal per hour and pushed the boat at about 5.5 knots. The XA motor weighs 207 lbs, is electric start, and has power tilt and trim. It's an optional motor on the 1160, with Honda 20's being standard equipment. My understanding is that some of the Honda parts don't hold up as well in salt water, but I don't have personal experience.

I would have preferred the new-generation Yamaha 25's to save on weight, but we took boat delivery before the new motor was introduced. The EFI is probably less trouble, but that said I have a lot of experience with Yamaha 9.9 carb cleaning, and have cleaned only one of the 25's once to-date. It was relatively easy to remove and service. Another positive of new-gen motor would have been to have the fuel consumption data come from each engine via the ECU. I have that setup on a fishing boat with 2017 Yamaha 250 hp SHO, and it's really neat to see how speed affects fuel consumption.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 21:11   #13

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
A bit off topic, anyone have experience with any of the mounting materials that are supposed to reduce the vibration transmitted into the boat?
One of the Seawind 1160 Lite owners reported on the owners site this: For those who have outboards, I just installed a set of Vibra-stop transom pads on our 1160 Lite and early results are encouraging. There is definitely less vibration through the boat and noise levels are reduced. It's not as quiet as diesels w/ saildrives, but looks like it'll be worth the money in the long run (~ $300 USD).

A while later, he posted an update: Still pretty happy with this upgrade. The engine vibration is reduced (not eliminated) and overall cockpit noise is lower. I am also looking for some waterproof panels to line at least the lids and possibly sides to try and further reduce noise level…

Frankly, I've not found it to be a big-enough noise annoyance to warrant having to remove 200 lb motors to install the pads. Vibration is not bad without them, whether sitting on the fiberglass motor box, or on the padded helm seat. Plus we have over 2,300 nm on the boat, and only 220 hrs on the outboard motors. We tend to sail. :-)
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 10:49   #14

Boat: Hudson CC 51

I just bought a 2023/4 T25XWTC .
What Yamaha And dealers fail to mention anywhere and is a pain since you generally have to order these engines is that there is no Is mounting clamps and that's the footprint on this Mounting bracket is almost at least 1/3 bigger than a standard F25.
Big surprise after you've bought Panthers biggest mounting bracket And The mounting plate is too small to mount this engine on it. Panther does not make a bigger mounting plate for this So you're going to have Is fabricate your own if you're not mounting it directly to the transom.
The only plus that I can see from this is the High thrust engine must require this large bracket which means It is a force to be reckoned with.
Very disappointed in Yamaha for not Mentioning That the high thrust engine has a much larger mounting bracket anything about this larger mounting bracket With no portable mountain clamps that I can find in any of the literature I have seen.
Much time went into engineering custom brackets To fit the panther on the Slanted transom. Had I known about the larger size would have made it even more robust.
Now about all I can do His hope it will be enough As I Make a custom mounting plate for the panther 55-0416 so it can be mounted.
Rick Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 00:32   #15

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Gday Rick

What are you mounting the Yammie on? A dinghy or a cat? I would not think a pivoting outboard bracket is the usual type of mount for such a large high thrust outboard. But there is a trick or two you can use if needed but I would need to know the boat.

If you do take a look at the outboard the extra length is not used to take any driving loads, but for the hydraulic lift. The motor still bears on the mount at about the same position as a normal outboard.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote