Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2013, 19:56   #1

New Countertops for Lagoon Cat

Hi everyone!
My husband and I just sailed our Lagoon 400 home to North Carolina (from Puerto Rico) last week. Within the next month, we will be moving on to her full-time. We would like to replace the countertops (I don't care for the white formica). Weight, of course, is a major consideration for us. We found the following possibility; this product is used in aircraft: PolyStone Creations.com - Leaders in the field of lightweight countertops.
We obtained a few samples and the golden granite is very nice. I have no idea who would do the installation or if the product would also be good for boats.

My question is: do you have any opinions of this material for a boat? Do you have any other options we should consider? I do like the look of natural stone but realize that it is impractical and too heavy for the boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
paulajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 05:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: New Countertops for Lagoon Cat

At one pound per square foot, although advertised as 60% lighter than granite, this product is far to heavy for a practical application on a sailboat and, most importantly, not suitable for a catamaran.
Old 17-06-2013, 05:39   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Many catamarans have Corian and similar that weighs 3-4lb/sqft. Many sailboats of all types have granite and the like.

The linked aircraft product is 0.5lb/sqft.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 06:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

Go with the corian counter tops. They look nice, are not too heavy, and scratches can be buffed out...
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 06:58   #5

Some solid surface products (LG Hi-Macs) come in 1/4 inch thickness.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 06:59   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
..............The linked aircraft product is 0.5lb/sqft.

Mark
They might have some conflicting information. If you select the "about us" tag, they state, "One pound per square foot" in bold type.

No doubt heavier materials are often used, but weight is critical to multihull performance and this is an area where application of this substance, corian or granite seems to be totally unwise and easily substituted for another lightweight product.
Old 17-06-2013, 07:04   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Formica is light, easy to install (DIY) and wears like iron.
You can get Formica that looks just like granite. You can just glue it right over what you have now in short order and your done.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 07:06   #8

Boat: Norseman 447

We have 1/4 corian tops. it only comes in some of their colors. We don't really worry about wieght as we are 31 tons. just didn't want the refer and freezer tops that heavy. Easy care.
Old 17-06-2013, 07:44   #9

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I have sent off for a sample. The timing is perfect because I am about to install new countertops for my Searunner, one for the sink side, the other for the stove side. I will report back when I have more info.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 20:49   #10

I think the Polystone is 1 pound per square foot, but the Flexstone for Aviation is a half-pound per square inch. I think that is the inconsistency. Our cat is also pretty heavy to begin with, but the galley space is relatively small so the weight difference between this product and another would be pretty negligible. I love the countertops in the Robertson & Caine boats (dark, black-ish--but I don't know what they're made of). I'm not sure why Lagoon opted for such bland interiors (it wasn't for practicality because white formica stains and is impractical in my opinion). I will probably end up trying this stuff. Roy, the golden granite is REALLY nice; we obtained four different samples about a year ago. We probably will end up going with the Polystone. I prefer darker colors with natural-looking "specs" in it and although I think Corian is a great product, the colors are generally lighter (although I like Corian Oat and may consider that as a possibility as well). Thanks for your feedback, everyone!
paulajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 21:10   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajean View Post
I think the Polystone is 1 pound per square foot, but the Flexstone for Aviation is a half-pound per square inch. I think that is the inconsistency. Our cat is also pretty heavy to begin with, but the galley space is relatively small so the weight difference between this product and another would be pretty negligible. I love the countertops in the Robertson & Caine boats (dark, black-ish--but I don't know what they're made of). I'm not sure why Lagoon opted for such bland interiors (it wasn't for practicality because white formica stains and is impractical in my opinion). I will probably end up trying this stuff. Roy, the golden granite is REALLY nice; we obtained four different samples about a year ago. We probably will end up going with the Polystone. I prefer darker colors with natural-looking "specs" in it and although I think Corian is a great product, the colors are generally lighter (although I like Corian Oat and may consider that as a possibility as well). Thanks for your feedback, everyone!
Leopard uses either light or dark corian... I would guess 75% of the boats were ordered with the dark....
Old 18-06-2013, 22:01   #12

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Corian comes in 4,6,12 & 19mm thicknesses. Typically kitchen countertops are 12mm and this weighs about 20 kg/sm (4 lb per sf).

You could go with 6 mm Corian on a plywood or fibreglass substrate and cut the weight substantially. But realistically, the weight of 10 linear feet of countertop using 12mm is about 80lb. A Lagoon 400 weighs in at 22,800 lbs so I wouldn't worry about the weight of the Corian - get what you want and enjoy it.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 00:27   #13

Boat: P30

not sure of this is of interest to you but have a look at this company.
it is a solid surface on a honeycomb substrate. there are others which use real stone
One Source Group | Honeycomb Core Countertops | Honeycomb Core Countertops
i came across this for a non-marine application a couple of years ago and was impressed with the samples. you will have to decide on what type of edges and i'd be interested to know if they can incorporate wood fiddles.
Old 19-06-2013, 00:28   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Wow I know that weight equils speed in Cat, but guys are ya gonna loose so much speed that you lady can't have something nice she likes ?? To me thats like cuttin off your nose to spite your face LOL A happy wife makes a happy boat
Old 19-06-2013, 00:50   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Stainless steel makes a very practical kitchen bench top and splash back

Its lightweight and can be applied over existing timber.

Not everyone likes the commercial kitchen look so see it yourself before deciding, but done right I think it looks great.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, paracelle