Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-10-2013, 15:11   #46

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Re: New cat made in china

Dang, I thought this was going to be a Chinese Food thread!

Old 30-10-2013, 20:19   #47

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Nope, they only eat dogs.

Old 30-10-2013, 20:50   #48

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

If you want to look at Chinese manufacturing mediocrity, you need to go no farther than visiting CES (Consumers Electronics Show); held every January in Las Vegas. Paints that rub off on your fingers, threads that have spurs and metal shavings, batteries that swell, overheat and leak, questionable strength of materials...the list goes on. Cheap, in the long run, is expensive!

Chinese workmanship, under "strict" manufacturing supervision and QC, is good. Without that supervision, it is not worth it. Unsupervised Chinese made products are not known to be rugged and long lasting; poor designs and inferior quality of materials.

Mauritz
Simplicity and elegance through engineering.
Old 30-10-2013, 21:04   #49

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Go to your local hardware store, if they are like ours full of chinese rubbish that dont even last 1 job. Disposable tools everywhere!
Old 31-10-2013, 08:16   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have several Huawei electronic products. Designed and built in China by Chinese. They are excellent in build and performance quality.

Anyone will build crap if the market demands it. How much cheap crap does the US produce (and I'm not talking beer)? Doesn't mean they don't also build good stuff for that part of the demand.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:28   #51

Hi i am looking at Isara now too, the hybrid makes for a common sense approach and seems very simple. The Isara price isn't cheap though, around 765,000USD I believe.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:23   #52

Fascinating topic, pity this thread died, perhaps someone should revive it... There are a number of interesting points that are brought up here. This is definitely the home grown Ozzie cat movement gradually creeping up the China Sea from its traditional home in Thailand. No major surprises there. I must say I wasn't aware of Farnova, linking it immediately to a similar offering by Nautic Star, who built the latest batch of Clipper race boats. They also offered a large catamaran, trying to build on their "success" with the Clipper boats, unfortunately Nautic Star's website is now a Japanese clothing outlet, so I won't send you there, but
Old 06-01-2014, 03:09   #53

continued:

....there is a listing on a Qingdao website which shows a pic of the boat (Nautic Star Marine (sailboats) | Qingdao China Sailing & Yachting)

Away from the mundane to something slightly more interesting coming out of China. Check out the Adastra powerboat built in Zhuhai by McConaghy. We were anchored right next to one of them in Hong Kong in November, forget your eco-friendly green wellies, they still had the bimbos and the jetskis on the back. There are two of them apparently.

Back to Farnovo, sounds a bit too much like Lenovo, OMG was that a thinkpad ad. I saw slipped in on their website. Something fishy there.

The mono-hull looks very smooth, and another contributor has assessed this as not having been built in China at all. The cat I can't comment on in terms of where it was built, but in my experience they generally try to rebrand Western designs in China and charge a considerably higher price, arguing the price up in terms of the price of an imported boat with the duty, VAT and shipping added on. Now you are talking big money for something like a large Lagoon in China. So for a local boat, maybe half the price: 500K Sterling.

I see the Tiger even got a mention here, totally irrelevant to this thread, but still a valid point. Narrow beam, but one of the main problems with the Tigers in China was the lack of understanding of the importance of having more than one head sail, making them impossible to handle going upwind in anything above a 4.

Link to report: Chinese Coast Guard | Qingdao China | QINGDAO(nese)

A lack of maintenance has done the rest. Even in 2010 they were being offloaded cheaply. Now the J80 and the Fareast 26 seem to have put the nail in the proverbial coffin as far as the Chinese market for Tigers is concerned.

Will there be a comeback?
Old 06-01-2014, 06:57   #54
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Salamander, I am not sure that I get your criticism of the Flying Tiger. The Chinese may not see the need for smaller headsails (and as the boat is intended for racing they are hank-ons, not roller reefing), but anyone expecting winds of 30 knots certainly should! In any event, the fault there lies with the owners/sailors and not with the manufacturer, or the designer!

The relatively narrow beam is not an issue in boat largely intended for one-design racing and it allows the boat to be shipped in standard shipping containers. You also suggest that the Flying Tigers are 'totally irrelevant to this thread' - but then go on to talk about some Chinese power boats. While the thread related to a catamaran, the relevance is to the issue of whether or not the Chinese are capable of producing a quality sail boat. In the case of the FT10 ( I have not seen a 7.5), I can certainly suggest that the answer is yes!

Brad
Old 06-01-2014, 18:52   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Salamander, I am not sure that I get your criticism of the Flying Tiger. The Chinese may not see the need for smaller headsails (and as the boat is intended for racing they are hank-ons, not roller reefing), but anyone expecting winds of 30 knots certainly should! In any event, the fault there lies with the owners/sailors and not with the manufacturer, or the designer!

The relatively narrow beam is not an issue in boat largely intended for one-design racing and it allows the boat to be shipped in standard shipping containers. You also suggest that the Flying Tigers are 'totally irrelevant to this thread' - but then go on to talk about some Chinese power boats. While the thread related to a catamaran, the relevance is to the issue of whether or not the Chinese are capable of producing a quality sail boat. In the case of the FT10 ( I have not seen a 7.5), I can certainly suggest that the answer is yes!

Brad
Brad, I was surprised to see that Tiger Anarchy had been dismantled, I haven't been following SA for a while though. The Tiger was great at the original price, which was its main selling point. Of course you are right, the fact that the boats only came with one standard head sail has nothing to do with the designer, or the design of the boat.

The report relates to a boat that lost its headsail after they tried to sail back in against a squall and on which the outboard failed. I can't say for certain in which order this occurred though, however there have been issues with the furlers and as is suggested in the report, the skipper (who is well known in Qingdao but will remain unnamed) may have been half the problem. That brings us back to the fact that a boat only performs as well as the person holding the stick and we only have ourselves to blame when things go wrong!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: