Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2009, 09:11   #1

Unhappy New Cat <40' - Cockpit - Damn!

I am in love with the Mahe 36, however, all the biminy designs I've seen including the custom ones I dislike.

I can't get over the open cockpit living in south florida. If I could have a Mahe 36 that looked like a Dean441 in terms of the cockpit, sheesh, I'd buy right now.

I've been searching high and low. I want a cat under 40 ft, new, and I'd like to keep the boat at approximately $300k. (I can prob go a little higher if bank would finance) is it possible? My goals are to liveaboard, sail weekends and vacations for a few years (need to do it singlehanded - can't count on anyone else yet), then after that, I will travel for 6 months and then come back for 6 months to work, then back out for 6 months, etc. At least those are the thoughts/plans.

right now, With an annual income of around $200k, a FICO score about 750, and no real debt other than my house (mortgage is about $1200/mo and i owe about $145k still), and student loans (still about 100k) - do you think financing will be a problem? I'm curious what they would let me finance..... I will put down 20% at least.

also, since I've never purchased a new boat, what I should have on hand after purchase.

[scenario]

Assume I bought a boat today. Through magical forces, it's ready to go immediately. It has already all the upgrades, etc. It's turn-key, perfect, ready to go I just have to sail it back to south florida. What can I expect to spend at this point?

I have to fly to boat, take time to prepare it for voyage, I only have one friend who is a blue water sailor to sail back with me, and I am only a 'novice' - never gone into open waters, just local cruising - so I'll need a crew I assume, supplies, transfer fees, taxes, money for fixing the 'little things' that will probably go wrong when we arrive back here - lol, etc.etc.

What am I forgetting? It's noon and I just woke up so am still groggy and drinking coffee...

From the time of purchase till I'm sitting at the marina with a drink in hand enjoying the sun, what do you think I should have (approximately) in terms of cash on hand to make the transition smooth?

also, any tips on which cat? I'm not looking to go 80 knots in a race. It's a liveaboard with comfort. weekender and vacations for now.
wacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 19:47   #2

125 views - no replies, lol. I probably put too much info. The more I search the more I think I'm going to get a Gemini. It's a good entry level boat, pretty cheap (even brand new - although I could probably add 50k to the base price for the 'extras')

my question is, how do you outfit a cat for fishing? I'm gonna be a powerboat convert and want more than just to sit with a pole and line in hand while at anchor.

is it possible to rig a setup for cleaning and storing fish without destroying the beauty of a brand new deck? please help!
Old 26-05-2009, 19:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
125 views - no replies, lol. I probably put too much info.
It is a complicated formula playing money, time, and lifestyle all against something you seem convinced you want. If it really seems hard to think out it is maybe because it just is a hard computation with a lot of subjective parts.

Quote:
is it possible to rig a setup for cleaning and storing fish without destroying the beauty of a brand new deck?
How destructive are you? Fishing is just one aspect to any live aboard boat. If everything were equal it would make it easier.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 20:41   #4

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
I always believe in keeping costs down, no matter what your salary. Have a look at the Seawind catamarans. They're very beamy and you can have volleyball games in the cockpit.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 05:48   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Wacko, the only way to get a specific answer to your questions concerning a boat loan is to speak to your bank manager, but yes, I suspect that you'll have little trouble in arranging financing. As to the additional costs, they are impossible to estimate at this juncture as they will be contingent upon the following:

1. What boat are you purchasing?
2. Are you buying new or used?
3. If used, what is the inventory/condition.
4. Where did you purchase the boat and how far do you need to sail it for delivery to your home port?

I would start by having some discussions with my bank manager in order to find out your budget limitations, but I would not mention your ultimate plans for working only 6 months a year and then living aboard. If and when it happens, great, but in the interim it will only frighten off most lenders.

Fishing - of course it is possible. If you want to set up a fighting chair it will, of course, have a dramatic impact on the appearance of the boat. Otherwise, there are numerous threads on this site concerning simple fishing rigs. And as to cleaning fish, smaller ones can be cleaned in plastic bins; the huge ones? Well yes, I think you already know what kind of mess will be left on deck. Just make sure you get a proper deck wash installed.

If you want specific advice on boats that will suit your needs, I would suggest that you find out your maximum budget for new and used boats and then make some additional inquires on the site.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 19:45   #6
DtM

Quote Wacko,

"I am in love with the Mahe 36, however, all the biminy designs I've seen including the custom ones I dislike.

I can't get over the open cockpit living in south florida. If I could have a Mahe 36 that looked like a Dean441 in terms of the cockpit, sheesh, I'd buy right now. "

Wacko, what do you want out of the bimini/cockpit exactly on your Mahe. I cannot work it out from what you are saying.

If you have an entirely open cockpit you will cook to death.

If the height of the bimini is an issue there are designs (like ours) which can fix that.

Are the bimini's you have seen too small, too big ?????

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 05:44   #7

biminy tops

too small.

do you have a site or pics? I need an enclosed area or at least 'covered'

ur right about being cooked to death. I just haven't seen pics of the mahe with a biminy that looks adequate.
Old 28-05-2009, 06:09   #8
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
is it possible to rig a setup for cleaning and storing fish without destroying the beauty of a brand new deck? please help!
Fishing is what it is. You could always order a cockpit work table that folds and stores. That with a deck washdown pump is about as close as you can get to keeping the boat looking new.

The Mahe's helm position is certainly a challenge for bimini designers. Is that what you are referring to? I can't imagine any other concerns for a fully covered cockpit with that model Cat. When you receive the boat you'll have no trouble finding a Bimini Guy who will custom design whatever you need.

You seem to have a grasp of what you want and it appears to me that you've already come to a decision. A new boat has to be ordered anyway. Go ahead and order it. Work out the details later. You'll have time to work out the issues long before the boat's delivered.

What are you posting here for? Just do it.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 06:18   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Have a boat built to your specifications, or make the compromises like everyone else. I was lucky I got almost exactly what I wanted, and 3 years old at purchase. BEST WISHES in finding something to make you smile.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 06:51   #10

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
too small.

do you have a site or pics? I need an enclosed area or at least 'covered'

ur right about being cooked to death. I just haven't seen pics of the mahe with a biminy that looks adequate.
There are Mahe down here that have had custom made biminis that cover the helm very nicely. Made locally here in the BVI.

Next time I get close to one I'll photograph it for you.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 14:29   #11

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
A PDQ 39 with a hard top bimini just pulled into Fort Myers, FL. The owner totally refit the boat in 2008/2009 with nice systems for offshore sailing and just returned from a sail down to Guatemala. www.PDQ36.blogspot.com I think the asking price is only $180K

Mod edit:

Atlantic42 is selling this boat. This is not a third party.
Atlantic42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 15:31   #12

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Wacko... Luckily I got aboard a Mahe with a custom Bimini today. The helm seat is nicely protected but there is also a cutout that allows the helm to stand at the negine controls for close quarters manouevres. Apologies for the large images but want to show as much detail as possible. Here's the pics...

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote