Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2016, 18:52   #61

Re: NEW 47? ok, nice, but what's the diff' ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Quite true, I meant at DWL. And yes they SHOULD be able to supply this data, but try asking.

I asked Bob before deciding on our boat. From Memory it was about 400kg/cm. So if we "overloaded" by a tonne, we'd sink by around 2cm. Disaster, the sky is falling. Death and destruction sure to follow....

I'd expect the Outremer's immersion rate would be higher (in kg/cm).

So a boat might float a cm or two deeper. Is that really going to be the end of the world? Will insurance companies really notice? Will Queensland transport throw us in jail? Will the coroner really investigate us? Or is someone getting all worked up over nothing...

John McEnroe
Old 10-08-2016, 09:14   #62

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom fighter View Post
Soooooo how about the new 47, that's what this post is about, 13.8t and the sail area doesn't propose as good as the Helia, is this correct?
Tagging along as well - My short list is down to the L450S and the FP47. I'm told the first 47 hull wont hit US shores till Spring.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
Old 24-11-2016, 17:26   #63

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
Tagging along as well - My short list is down to the L450S and the FP47. I'm told the first 47 hull wont hit US shores till Spring.
I love the idea of that dingy platform, but I wonder how heavy it is and how stable it is when you stand on it. It looks like something I think I saw from another company, so hopefully it's not a brand new mechanism.,
Old 26-11-2016, 12:12   #64

Boat: FP 47 New (awaiting delivery)

I placed an order yesterday for the 47 New with March 2018 delivery La Rochelle.
The hydraulic platform included.
The dealer confirmed also a hydraulic gangway (although not mentioned on the FP price list) and I am waiting for specification (price 8500€ excl VAT).
Hope it could be built into the construction somehow to hide it completely when not used.

Does anyone have experience with hydraulic gangway on FP catamarans?
Old 27-11-2016, 06:44   #65

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

EliGoo,

This is how your hydraulic gangway will most likely look like on your new FP47
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k-DSC02215.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	137027  
Old 27-11-2016, 07:56   #66

Cotemar,

I very appreciate your reply.

Do you happen to know what dinghy is on the picture? I would like to replace the "standard" one with a central console and more power than 15HP.
The hydraulic platform supports up to 250kg, so I think a dinghy like this one on the picture would be a good choice (provided it is not too heavy).

Thank you very much for any advice.
Old 27-11-2016, 09:05   #67

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliGoo View Post
Do you happen to know what dinghy is on the picture? I would like to replace the "standard" one with a central console and more power than 15HP.

The hydraulic platform supports up to 250kg, so I think a dinghy like this one on the picture would be a good choice (provided it is not too heavy).

Thank you very much for any advice.
Looks like a Grand G340EF

Golden Line G340EF | Grand Marine

Nice boat, but it may not work for your FP47

The Problem being that you have a 6 person catamaran, so you need to be able to carry 6 people in your dinghy.

You need at least a 12' (3.65 meter) dinghy to support that many people.

You may be better off with a Highfield CL380
Old 28-11-2016, 02:00   #68

Thank you, Cotemar.
I may need davits in addition to hydr. platform for a 6 persons boat with console and max. supp. engine.
I will check the FP47 davits capacity.
Old 12-04-2017, 21:34   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Bridgedeck Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Do you have 600 litres of diesel, 700 litres of water, a 3000w inverter or 700AH of batteries in your house? Probably not, but that would add up to approximately 2 tonne. Half a dozen people and their gear is another 0.5 to 1.0 tonne. So not really much carrying capacity left for tools, spares, extra sails, diving gear, etc. After all, these boats are designed to accommodate 10 people sleeping and over 20 people for day trips. Yes, that's a lot of "crap", but for my money a 45 to 49 footer should carry it. My 40 footer will.

4 tonne would probably be OK for a liveaboard cruising catamaran, but not sure where that figure came from? The new FP47 has no stated carrying capacity or maximum displacement; the Outremer 49 example that I inspected only had a carrying capacity of 2.6 tonnes, not 4 tonnes. By comparison, the Lagoon 440 has a carrying capacity of 6.5 tonne.

Sure people overload Outremers; the one I looked at was probably overloaded before anyone moved aboard with their drilled out carbon fibre toothbrush. It was equiped, from memory, with a lot of cruising "junk"; extra batteries, watermaker, inverter, dive compressor, etc. All crap, no doubt.

However, I strongly disagree with cwjohn implying that it's OK to exceed the maximum displacement (ie. overload). Maximum displacement is more than just a "guide". If something breaks or goes wrong onboard your overloaded "performance" cruiser, how will the manufacturer or an insurance company view your claim? Exceed the carrying or towing capacity of a motor vehicle and you automatically void insurance in case of accident. I'm sure marine insurance is just as unforgiving or worse.

Not only does legal liability and performance suffer in an overloaded "performance cruiser", but so does comfort due to reduced bridgedeck clearance.
Funny thing, I believe this is the only mention of bridgedeck clearance on this subject thread?

Has anyone looked at the time frame 0:48 on this video of that new boat? looks questionable to me if you load it up.

I suspect these additional protuberances in the under bridgedeck is to accommodate the berths up there.
Old 12-04-2017, 21:39   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Aging Gracefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Re the FP 47 I think it has too many odd shapes and lines and it won't age graceful.
I don't think there are many modern catamaran designs that are going to 'age gracefully'
Old 13-04-2017, 03:40   #71

Boat: FP Saba 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliGoo View Post
Thank you, Cotemar.
I may need davits in addition to hydr. platform for a 6 persons boat with console and max. supp. engine.
I will check the FP47 davits capacity.
Also make sure you understand the distance between the scoops on the FP47 as this will limit the maximum length of your tender. We have the FP Saba 50 with the hydraulic aluminum davits and an AB Oceanus 13' VST tender with center console & 60hp Yahama (can fit 6 comfortably and 7 in a pinch). Would have liked to have gone with a 14' or 15' tender to accommodate an extra person, but 13' was the maximum length to fit between the scoops--and even then it's a tight squeeze and we need to carefully fend when raising and lowering.
Old 13-04-2017, 09:17   #72

AB Oceanus is certainly a very good option. A 13' (12') with 60hp (40hp) would be perfect but even if it fit the available length the other limitation is the weight as the New 47's hydraulic platform has only 250 kg of load capacity. What load capacity have the Saba's davits?
I go next week to Grande Motte Multihull Show where the New 47 will have premiere so I will measure the length.
With the platform weight limitation there does not seem to be an option having central console nevertheless.
Old 14-04-2017, 05:00   #73

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

There's one additional point to make about what we want, need and then choose to take aboard - our background in sailing. I've found that those of us with trimarans (esp performance) tend to be much more attuned to weight and balance of weight on the boat. Those who've been "weight frugal" will probably always carry at least a bit of that tendency forward to future boats.

We're considering selling our tri and moving to a cat as we look ahead at retirement (currently in our 50/60s) and although we won't live aboard, we may cruise for a few months at a time. I was shocked when I began comparing 40 footers (Open 40, Lucia, Leopard, Lagoon); the differences re: weight and carrying capacity are noticeable, and more than one dealer was shocked to find I don't want a/c and a generator! We just aren't used to air, and don't need it.

Choices, choices, choices.
Old 14-04-2017, 12:48   #74

Nobody NEEDS AC on a boat.

John McEnroe
Old 14-04-2017, 12:57   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Not to mention that reputable competent designers will be able to tell you the sinkage rate of their boat ( either Kg/cm or Pounds/inch sinkage), with DWL as the base reference.

But be prepared to be surprised (as I was) at how many production company's don't seem to be able to come up with that info about their boat(s).
Does this mean production boats aren't designed by competent people?
Closed Thread