Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2017, 18:51   #46

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Neel 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
from that view the 51 appears to be some sort of bastardized catamaran, one with a really big nacelle.
Anyone else feel that when moderately heeled the underwing clearance is too small?
Not sure what difference there is.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9123028305.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	146440  
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 19:24   #47

That is a Hughes/Perry design from 2000
L/B = 1.4 amas are there for stability and underwing clearance is good in both directions, wave interference is weak

The Neel 51 L/B = 1.7 amas appear to be massive for storage? wave interference should be significant given the small ama-vaka separation, looks like a tunnel.
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 02:43   #48

Boat: Dreaming

Its overall Length to Beam ratio is probably closer to a Cat than a typical performance trimaran. 57% for the Neel vs 75%+ for real performance trimarans. Couple that with very high amas (probably designed for 6' 4" headroom) and you end up with very catamaran like looks.

The space inside is incredible. 2 owners hulls and two other bedrooms. Nice size kitchen and chart table. Sliding doors open the whole thing up (assuming they don't break or stick). Great access to the electrics and engine. It is a lot of boat for the money. But it looks heavy (not to mention windage). I'll be curious to see how it sails. I also think you are right about slamming. Might be a real problem when healed over.

As an alternative to a condomoran, I think it is well worth considering. 51ft for the price (and all the extra storage the main hull gives) is very impressive. But I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig who buys the first.
GaryJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 03:24   #49

Quote:
That is a Hughes/Perry design from 2000
L/B = 1.4 amas are there for stability and underwing clearance is good in both directions, wave interference is weak

The Neel 51 L/B = 1.7 amas appear to be massive for storage? wave interference should be significant given the small ama-vaka separation, looks like a tunnel.
Is it not true the closer they are together the smaller the bow waves when they meet in the middle?
Old 29-04-2017, 04:24   #50

As I understand it, wave reinforcement is strongest when the hulls are close together.
As the hulls separate the waves attenuate more before colliding.
It is not just peaking that is problematic but also the impact of reflected waves on the sides of the hulls.
Old 29-04-2017, 08:33   #51

Quote:
As I understand it, wave reinforcement is strongest when the hulls are close together.
As the hulls separate the waves attenuate more before colliding.
It is not just peaking that is problematic but also the impact of reflected waves on the sides of the hulls.
Not disagreeing, but is seems that when looking at cats, the narrower the beam, the lower the bridgedeck clearance.
Old 29-04-2017, 09:47   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
looking at cats, the narrower the beam, the lower the bridgedeck clearance.
true as narrow beam = small vessel = coastal/day sailing = lower clearance is possible but sea state is then constrained for safety.
Old 13-05-2017, 00:57   #53

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

there's a test sail of the 51 and 45 at neel's mid june i'll probably go as i'm looking into buying a 45...
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 11:13   #54

Boat: longing for a trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauris View Post
there's a test sail of the 51 and 45 at neel's mid june i'll probably go as i'm looking into buying a 45...
Would be interested in your comments, specially on the 51.
tatomaceda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 12:20   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatomaceda View Post
Would be interested in your comments, specially on the 51.
i'm booked on the 15th afternoon , i want to look at the quality with the video that everyone knows on the back of my mind ...i know we can sail the 51 if i can i will and tell you about it however it' s out of my league moneywise so i ll probably concentrate on the 45
Old 23-05-2017, 13:17   #56

I'm interested in your opinion of the bridgedeck main cabin. It seems obtrusive and like it eats up too much space. I would like to know if it feels that way in person. And if there is enough hull space for a decent cabin.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:06   #57
gbr

Boat: Balance 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I'm interested in your opinion of the bridgedeck main cabin. It seems obtrusive and like it eats up too much space. I would like to know if it feels that way in person. And if there is enough hull space for a decent cabin.
Purely my opinion, but yes it does. It's taken me a long time to work out in my mind why it doesn't feel right. The outside space compared to a cat is smaller, and sitting out side in the cockpit I felt that the main cabin was in the way.

It may work for some people, just not for me.
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 09:18   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauris View Post
i'm booked on the 15th afternoon , i want to look at the quality with the video that everyone knows on the back of my mind ...i know we can sail the 51 if i can i will and tell you about it however it' s out of my league moneywise so i ll probably concentrate on the 45
How did your visit go?
Old 21-06-2017, 03:00   #59

i did not go on the 51 just saw one i spent my time on the 45..and it was fun as i was the only one sailing on it except the sales team.

the boat is a pleasure to steer, it's quite fast ( but i was on the racing version that won the arc) really enjoyed myself ..the question remains for me to see if it's big enough for a live aboard.

quality looked good and i had a talk about the boat of the owner who had a "quality" problem.
Old 21-06-2017, 09:26   #60

Are you saying that you feel NEEL has addressed its quality control issues or that this NEEL (“La Caravelle”) you were on had no issues?

I love the trimaran concept, it just makes sense, to me at least. But I've also read every post here on NEEL and watched all the videos on YouTube, and frankly, until I've sailed on one, I probably will always be wary. Which is why I value yours and all those-who-have-sailed-on-one's experience.