Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2016, 10:09   #16

Boat: NEEL 45
Re: Neel 51

thanks CF

all that I post is unfortunately fact

the associated youtube videos are of my NEEL 45 purchased new

the many defects are documented in the many photos comprising the videos

the annotations (which apparently do not show on iOS devices - iPhone and iPad) serve to label what is shown in the photos and videos

I am sharing this information not to "bitch" but to simply make factual information available to whomever goes searching for it for whatever reason

if we all share our experiences, good and bad, we are all the better for it

Old 16-10-2016, 08:45   #17

it s really sad for these boats. because i think the general design is very nice...

Old 14-04-2017, 10:28   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Frankly, I am very grateful for your openess and honesty. Our first catamaran was a Dean 365 and we also experienced a cavalier attitude from the boat builder - Peter Dean and Peter Dean junior. Later, having learned of other Dean owner experiences, I would never touch a Dean product again. Exactly as you say, some owners even defend these manufacturers due to the resale value issue. We are currently researching our next potential purchase; everything is suggesting to stay with Voyage with whom we are familiar. We were poised to go look at a Neel 51 but, now, shall certainly not even consider 'em.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel tri exp View Post
I am the owner of the boat (NEEL 45) shown on the youtube videos.
The problems documented on the videos are not the only problems.
They do however accurately depict the build quality of the boat and the complete lack of quality control in the build process. In my opinion, they say even more about the manufacturer/builder, the company management and the knowledge, experience and standards (lack thereof) of those involved in all aspects of the build. That said, I can't imagine how anyone in their right mind would ever consider ordering/purchasing a new model from NEEL. My NEEL experience clearly demonstrates the complete incompetence of the builder. After having built many boats of the same model they still didn't have their act together. I have communicated with other NEEL 45 owners who's boats shared many of the same issues uncovered and documented on my boat. Unfortunately, for the boat buying community, they are not anxious to share their issues publicly because they are "worried about the resale value of their boats". Yes, that is what I have heard from a few owners. The NEEL "sales pitch" is very cleverly crafted and is seems to appeal to first time boat buyers who are going thru the process of determining which boat is best for them. Monohull? Cat? Wow! A "cruising" trimaran is the best of both worlds! Well, perhaps in theory. But certainly not what I found in execution.

As troubling or perhaps even more troubling than the hull breach suffered on our first trip was the heater incident that occurred on our 2nd trip - our return sail to the NEEL factory for repairs. The heater was incorrectly installed and we were almost completely overcome by carbon monoxide. Heck! I could have done that in my garage. It certainly would have been cheaper than buying a NEEL! We were sailing north in the bay of biscay in early november. It was cold outside and we had the factory installed heater on. It was mid afternoon. I had just come on watch and was finding it impossible to stay awake. I was slapping my face a few times every minute to stay awake. I looked over at my other crew member and he was out cold (sleeping/unconscious). I had that thought you have when you are exhausted - "I'll just close my eyes for a minute, it will be ok". Except - I wasn't exhausted, I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I stood up from the nav chair, slapped my face a few more times and started pacing around the salon. As I passed over the "tech area" door (in the middle of the salon floor) I detected a very slight burning smell. I reached down and opened the "technical area" door. The entire hull beneath the salon floor was full of smoke!! I shook awake my unconscious crew member and grabbed a fire extinguisher. We didn't detect any flames so i didn't deploy it. We immediately shut every system on the boat down and opened all door and hatches to clear the interior of the boat. The webasto diesel heater had been incorrectly installed. The fresh air intake hose was never connected to the fresh air intake on the heater unit. The heater exhaust which daylights (exits) the boat near the top of the main hull, below the wing to the starboard ama ( so relatively close to the waterline in an area often flush with water in seas over 4') had taken in seawater. There was no sump installed in the exhaust line so it became plugged. The result? Diesel exhaust came out of the fitting where the hose attached to the heater unit. Diesel exhaust was coming out of the left side of the heater unit and being sucked into the fresh air intake on the right side of the unit. It was then being heated and delivered to the entire inside living area of the boat thru the corresponding duct work. - watch the corresponding video on youtube

When we arrived back in la rochelle, I personally informed eric bruNEEL of this incident face to face. He offered me a confused expression (which I would venture to guess all NEEL owners are very familiar with) and his #2 person gaelle, actually laughed aloud. Eric said "we will take a look at it". I contacted webasto, sent them photos of the installation and they confirmed the installation was incorrect. The surveyor said it was installed incorrectly and didn't comply with EU standards/regulation. NEEL insisted it was installed correctly however, a later date installed a sump in the exhaust line and extended the fresh air intake hose to the fresh air intake on the heater unit.

Unfortunately, this was demonstrative of my experience with eric bruneel and with NEEL. Many items on the boat were not installed per manufacturer instructions. Many systems were not checked - I don't think anything was checked! Of course, eric bruneel had claimed "tight quality control" and to have a "team of professionals" building NEEL boats. From what I hear, he continues those claims (and many more).

The hull breach on my boat could have occurred in the middle of the atlantic. Fortunately, it did not.

We were nearly overcome by carbon monoxide from the incorrect installation of the heater.

the boat hasn't sailed since it returned to la rochelle - where it sits today

In my opinion, eric bruneel should not be allowed to build boats and anyone who considers purchasing a NEEL needs a good wake-up slap! or 2 or 3
Old 19-04-2017, 10:15   #19
gbr

Boat: Just Sold!

I've just spent an hour onboard hull#1 of the Neel 51.

The build quality looked pretty good, and the space is amazing, even better than an equivalent cat. I was blown away to be honest, and it is certainly sitting up there on my shortlist. I haven't watched the videos mentioned in the thread but from what I can see it's a cracking boat.

I'll take another look tomorrow.
Old 19-04-2017, 10:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbr View Post

The build quality looked pretty good, and the space is amazing, even better than an equivalent cat. I was blown away to be honest, and it is certainly sitting up there on my shortlist. I haven't watched the videos mentioned in the thread but from what I can see it's a cracking boat.

I envy you
Any chance to make some interior pictures or a small video?

Enjoy it!
Old 19-04-2017, 23:40   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Following......
Quote:

Old 20-04-2017, 05:50   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, gbr.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 10:17   #23
gbr

Thank you all. I've got some raw footage, but I'm no film maker! I'm still here at the show, so I will upload when I get back to a real computer (it's on the go-pro now)

I've also got some photos that a dealer sent me, but i haven't ask permission to post those. Please bear with me!
Old 22-04-2017, 03:09   #24
gbr

OK folks! As promised I've created a YouTube video from the footage I took.

Please bear in mind this is the first video I've ever made, so please be kind.

As someone asked me privately if I had any association with Neel: I don't, I'm just a punter in the market for a multihull, and remembered this thread so joined the forum to say hello, and then someone asked to get some pics so here we are.
Old 22-04-2017, 04:29   #25
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Great video and impressive looking boat, thanks!
Old 22-04-2017, 05:01   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

As someone asked me privately if I had any association with Neel: I don't, I'm just a punter in the market for a multihull, and remembered this thread so joined the forum to say hello, and then someone asked to get some pics so here we are.
Hi.
If you go to your video and use the YOUTUBE stabilisation... it will be 100% better..

Well done and thank you..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 05:49   #27

Quote:

Nice vid, thank you a lot for the effort
Old 22-04-2017, 12:17   #28
gbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Hi.
If you go to your video and use the YOUTUBE stabilisation... it will be 100% better..

Well done and thank you..

Top tip, thank you.
Old 22-04-2017, 22:46   #29

Big big thank you gbr, for this very nice vid! It s really appreciated!
Old 23-04-2017, 00:29   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Top tip, thank you.
MUCH better presentation!

In walkthroughs, I use a gopro (type) and video stabiliser pole... but the YOUTUBE post stabiliser is very effective as you see..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: