Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-08-2016, 12:06   #61

Re: Neel 45 Trimaran

Foresail sheet track (Video 5:37)
I was scared when I saw all the water in the video. So I am checking this region every morning in our boat. So far dry like a desert – I hope it stays this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	129159  

Old 21-09-2016, 14:11   #62

Boat: NEEL 45

I am the owner of the boat shown on the youtube videos.
The problems documented on the videos are not the only problems.
They do however accurately depict the build quality of the boat and the complete lack of quality control in the build process. In my opinion, they say even more about the manufacturer/builder, the company management and the knowledge, experience and standards (lack thereof) of those involved in all aspects of the build.

Old 25-09-2016, 10:28   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelia View Post
Foresail sheet track (Video 5:37)
I was scared when I saw all the water in the video. So I am checking this region every morning in our boat. So far dry like a desert – I hope it stays this way.
keep checking!
Old 25-09-2016, 10:50   #64

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

My complements to our moderator, Weavis, who allowed this thread to continue. As long as we are addressing facts, not opinion and conjecture about builds, CF does a great service by providing unvarnished truth, both good and bad, about different vessels.
Where else are you going to find facts based on experience about different boats?
Thanks, Weavis, and the factual contributors who posted... Phil
Old 25-09-2016, 10:50   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelia View Post
I am the owner of a neel 45 (n18)

The hull n13 (neelexperience) is a tragic event and I feel sorry for all the involved persons. But in my understanding it proved the neel security concept. Even if you have a hull failure - it does NOT SINK.

thanks for your input m
I wish you luck with your boat!

It is obvious that you are excited about your purchase - as I was with mine until the hull split and it filled with water..... on its maiden voyage!

I will confirm that it didn't sink!

2 grown men bailing seawater for 14 hours straight probably helped with that

keep in mind, proving the "neel security concept" was not on my agenda

and getting excited about it is like saying you are happy the airbags deployed when the front wheel fell off your brand new Yugo and you ran into a tree
Old 25-09-2016, 11:04   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
My complements to our moderator, Weavis, who allowed this thread to continue. As long as we are addressing facts, not opinion and conjecture about builds, CF does a great service by providing unvarnished truth, both good and bad, about different vessels.
Where else are you going to find facts based on experience about different boats?
Thanks, Weavis, and the factual contributors who posted... Phil
Thanks for the thanks but the reality is that ALL the mods contributed to the decision. We have a great team who try to be fair on all levels.

I closed the thread pending a discussion. We had to decide on the implications down the road. My decision was unilateral and always subject to the team decision but was taken on a 'just in case' basis. We do this if we are not sure of something but decide quickly as to the procedure....

CF is about boating, both the good and the bad. We dont want to get into the middle of a dispute. We do however like to see honest experiences with products and services.

Its a fine line. We will monitor the thread to ensure personal animosity does not surface. FACTS only.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 05:04   #67

I have once been interested in the said Neel 45 and even the 65. But those videos and shot spread over the internet is giving me a scare about this boat.
What I don’t understand is, how did it resolve? Clearly the manufacturer has an obligation to not only warrant and fix their mistakes but also to prevent similar problems to happen in the future by not only repairing the faults and giving the production line some long term actions but also by doing systematic preventive actions like updating the work instructions, updating their FMEA, Control plan and doing yokoten activities like upgrading their master-FMEA / master fault database.
I never seen a word anywhere how the manufacturer actually dealt with this case nor have I seen a declaration from the manufacturer claiming it a customer fault of sorts.

It is good that these things comes to the attention of other potential boat buyers and I would defiantly do something similar should I have similar experiences as a new-boat buyer.
What is very unfortunate is that of all the youtube videos on this they are all with removed ability to give comments. This somewhat removes credibility although I don’t doubt these bad things happen (photos speak for themselves) but comments would have been great to see and the possibility to ask questions and also the manufacturer would have the opportunity to give their point of view.
If the manufacturer did not do anything about this they have dug their own grave. Also, other manufacturers, beware and start being very clear about your warranty rules. Too many manufacturers are
In a way the owner is still lucky he have bought the boat directly from the manufacturer. Dealing costly warranty issues with dealers can be total hell.
Old 27-09-2016, 14:12   #68

Boat: Still searching. Multihull is sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel tri exp View Post
They do however accurately depict the build quality of the boat and the complete lack of quality control in the build process. In my opinion, they say even more about the manufacturer/builder, the company management and the knowledge, experience and standards (lack thereof) of those involved in all aspects of the build.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. We spent several weeks - including a transat - sailing 2 different Neel 45's. We're wondering why your Neel was so low in the water. Even with a leaking ladder box, how could it have been so completely submerged to cause such a steady flow of water to enter? Was it heavily loaded?
Old 27-10-2016, 07:03   #69

Hi everyone,
My wife and I are currently owner of a Lagoon 450, we took delivery of the boat last winter from La Rochelle, France and after some issue with the boat just after delivery, big sea water leak through a through hull fitting (this was very scary for us, not very experienced) and few other building mistake and stupidities from LAGOON we started to look on the internet for similar issues with boats. This is how we found this page…
I always been intrigued by the trimarans NEEL, we even charted one a couple of years ago after selling our first boat (Athena, FP). We had a very good 2 weeks onboard in the south of France/Corsica.
I was shocked when we saw those videos because it was not the experience we had with the NEEL 45 then. The boat was very safe and the finishes definitely acceptable “even for my wife which can be very picky with this things”.
When we were taking delivery of our Lagoon, we saw two NEEL 45 in the harbor, we of course went to have a closer look at take some photos of those impressive trimarans.
I realize now that on of them was, I think, the one in those videos (this very special green cushions and sails that we never saw before and the boat had an unusual transom instead of the normal ladder). Maybe the owner could confirm.
What I don’t understand is this big and probably very heavy JETSKI and tender. They seem to completely over loading the transom, when we see what a other NEEL 45 are like. The yellow one was another NEEL 45 in the harbor at that time, we spoke to the owner of the yellow one, and they were preparing the boat to cross the Atlantic.
What is interesting is to see the two transoms of the two boats:
Yellow one, the outer hulls are clear over the water line and we can see clearly the antifouling on to the middle hull.
Green one, the outer hulls are both in the water and we cannot see the antifouling on to the center hull.
I agree with SlowTourist, knowing the NEEL 45, I cannot see how so much water can get though the ladder box unless the boat was over loaded.
I don’t think the JetSki is an option from the factoryJ, I reckon this boat has been over loaded after delivery by at list two tones!
We had two brand new boats in our life, a Fountaine Pajot and a Lagoon (the two big leaders in the world of the cruising multihulls) and had issues post-delivery each time. Actually, I think that no matter what boat you are getting you will have most of the issues just after delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	134054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	134055  

Old 27-10-2016, 11:41   #70

Boat: Comet 41s

I would like to hear more owners about the boat quality.

I have no doubt that the boat in question is full of problems but I know brands that make boats with a satisfactory quality having some boats (or a boat) that for reasons unknown were screwed up during building. I know such a boat with Bavaria and another one with Halberg Rassy, not to mention the case with the recent Oyster that lost a keel. That does not make the boats of those brands bad boats...if the case remains a solo one.

Comments about Hallberg Rassy as a builder.
Hallberg Rassy 37 2008-2010 series legal case - Boat Design Forums
faulty bavaria yacht

More than a decade ago I bought a new Bavaria that had not a single problem, except wear and tear. After 15 years the boat still does not have any problem (I am a friend of the new owner). I guess not all the boats come the same way, even if built by the same manufacturer.

I know that a considerable number of Neel 45 are doing charter and nothing better to test a boat strength. We will know if they are increasing in number or disappearing from charter.

I also now that some Neel crossed the Atlantic and had not experienced any problem, not to mention the boat that was sailed very hard, racing the ARC and beating all cats.

Fox’s to the rescue after North Sea drama! – Fox's Marina

Not saying that the Neel 45 is well built....I don't know but the owner of the shipyard has a huge experience building multihulls and I would find strange that any problems the boat would not have been rectified. After all he wants to stay in business.

I would like to have more information about other Neel. It is a "lemon" boat or all or most Neel have problems? The other owners that posted here have problems on their boats?

A different issue is to know if the problems on that particular boat had been a correctly repaired by the brand and it seems that not. Unfortunately no surprise here, it appears that it had happened the same with that Bavaria and with that Halberg Rassy regarding a responsible attitude by the manufacturer.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 20:26   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel tri exp View Post
I guess every one is thinking the same question... what exactly was the outcome of this incident? How was it handled by the factory and are you now able to sail your boat?
Old 08-12-2016, 00:51   #72

The news from Neel seem to confirm this accident is a sad exception as there now are 20 neel tris sailing the world with 11 orders before the Paris boat show, which is the biggest they've ever had, worth 1,6 times last year's turnover.
Old 08-12-2016, 16:14   #73

Lack of warranty support and lack of explanation of this particular incident can not be "an exception". Customer support either exists or not. It's not just Neel, there are many complains about warranty issues with other manufacturers too. This is really sad, a specially keeping in mind, that most boats are custom built, manufacturers can't (or don't want) build the boat and THEN sell it (so buyer can inspect it). Instead, many of them require huge down payment upfront, so buyer can't back off in case of bad quality etc.
It's easier with used boat - most issues can be discovered by good surveyor and negotiated in price. With new - this ain't gonna happen.
Old 08-12-2016, 23:41   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Lack of warranty support and lack of explanation of this particular incident can not be "an exception". Customer support either exists or not. It's not just Neel, there are many complains about warranty issues with other manufacturers too. This is really sad, a specially keeping in mind, that most boats are custom built, manufacturers can't (or don't want) build the boat and THEN sell it (so buyer can inspect it). Instead, many of them require huge down payment upfront, so buyer can't back off in case of bad quality etc.
It's easier with used boat - most issues can be discovered by good surveyor and negotiated in price. With new - this ain't gonna happen.

Check the thread before answering:
The main concern was about the quality of these boats, and the fact that they sell more and more confirms that most of them aren't sinking right outside the marina. And the problems reported on videos seem indeed unique.
There are many thread about new vs used if that's your concern, but claiming support is bad in general when we have very few infos on one single case makes no sense there.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:50   #75

One boat with terrible quality and many (not one, two or five!) design mistakes on one boat, while all others are perfect? Wow, that must be a magic!
I'm watching this thread from the beginning. Seen all related videos. What I've never seen - any comments from manufacturer and any information how all other Neel owners resolved their quality problems.

Tags
trimaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: