Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2013, 14:52   #1

Needing advise

I'm new to the forum and would like some advise. Our children have just given my wife and I a month-long bareboat excursion anywhere in the world we wish to go. We are in our late 60's. I have 12 years experience as the owner and captain of a commercial fishing vessel (long-line) in Alaska and have also had one offshore experience on a monohull from Hawaii to Alaska. My wife has no experience whatever but is excited at the prospect.

My intention is to get ASA certified as soon as possible then make a decision as to where to take advantage of this bare-boating excursion.

I would appreciate any comments or suggests as we begin our planning. My wife and I have researched and like the idea of a catamaran. If all goes well, we hope to be in a buyer's market for a used 40 footer.
Young at heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 15:21   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Needing advise

Hi! Two world class areas with some of the best sailing waters, in my opinion, are: 1) The US and British Virgin Islands to the Grenadines (too many islands/countries to name), and 2) French Polynesia (Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Huahine, the Marquesas (several atolls)), all the way to and including Fiji. Trip # 2 is pricier than # 1, but should be attempted at least once in your lifetime. By far, it is the best of the best in cruising. Keep us posted! Sail away!

Mauritz
Old 16-06-2013, 15:21   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Summer Med. Winter Carib. You do not need any certification or skills at all to do the bareboat in the carib. Just go!
Old 17-06-2013, 05:10   #4

Boat: currently boatless

Hello Young at heart,
you certainly must have done something right by your kids for them to spoil you and your wife like this. There is a huge range of places in the world to charter Catamarans but I would think that a month might be a long time in one spot. If I could suggest you look at the "Moorings Yacht Charter" site it will give you a great overview of what destinations are available to you as well as what boats they have in their charter fleet. I live in Australia and we have taken our own boat to the Whitsundays which is just an unbelievable sailing destination but Thailand is also a brilliant venue and the scenery is breath taking and Asian food mouth watering and cheap.
The Dalmatia Coast is another area to peruse. Also is it possible to split your charter two weeks here and two weeks there. Sunsail is another charter company that I believe also has business's around the world. While I read that you had been skipper of a fishing trawler you did not state if you had sailing experience. There are charters with many of these companies that are shared or have a skipper and hostess to make life a little bit more comfortable. I have a friend who is going to Turkey in August for his honeymoon and has chartered a 40ft Beneteau. He cant wait.

Greg and Sue
Southerly Miss
Lake Macquarie - New South Wales - Aus
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 05:33   #5

If you're planning on buying in the near future, bareboat somewhere you can't easily access in your own boat.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 06:27   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I think best warm water charter areas are Eastern Med, Carib and Pacific (say Tonga, Australia, FP, etc.). All other things equal, I would go to Tonga again - least crowded.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 07:30   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Young,
For a first trip especially with a wife with no experience I would suggest BVI. All eyeball sailing, short sails and fairly decent shoreside facilities if that's what she'd like. Lots of cats there and you should be able to check quite a few out by talking to fellow charterers. No certification necessary... just a credit card.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:09   #8

Thank you all for your responses and if you think of more, don't hesitate to weigh in. I will be researching the areas mentioned and trying to figure a plan. It seems that the best season for sailing in the BVI is November thru May so would have plenty of planning time for that area. Will be looking into the Whitsundays as well as the other areas mentioned.

Again, thanks a bunch.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:43   #9

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Needing Advice

Hi! If you are a SCUBA diver or a snorkeler, here are a couple of hints: 1) In waters where the temperature feels like 'bath water", you'll find less than pleasant corals (dying or dead due to bleaching); 2) Avoid areas where you see turquoise/aquamarine seascapes. In these areas, the reflection of sands gives out this pleasing color; however, sands have killed the corals that used to live there. It sure would look very picturesque, but there's nothing to see. Look for navy blue waters with a small current and with a lower water temperature; corals strive in that environment, and the current brings in a lot plankton for the fish. Enjoy!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 17-06-2013, 09:51   #10

You dont need ASA with your credentials.
Tonga is great, 25-30 anchorages in a relatively compact area. As mentioned the US or British Virgins, but a lot of traffic there. For a Northwesterner the Bahamas are wonderful. Wish I had a month in Bahamas again!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 12:59   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Balance 526

I agree with Cheechako on the Bahamas. We spent 4 months cruising the Exumas and Abacos and could have used more time. So much too see and you get a little bit of everything.

Good luck on your search.

Dave
Old 20-06-2013, 07:06   #12

We are giving Tonga a really close look right now although the cost of a charter is mind boggling. May consider half the time there and look for a cheaper charter area the second half or vice versa...maybe the Bahamas. Any additional information on Tonga would be appreciated - my wife likes the sound of Tonga best...not crowded, friendly, perfect weather all year, etc.
Old 20-06-2013, 07:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young at heart View Post
We are giving Tonga a really close look right now although the cost of a charter is mind boggling. May consider half the time there and look for a cheaper charter area the second half or vice versa...maybe the Bahamas. Any additional information on Tonga would be appreciated - my wife likes the sound of Tonga best...not crowded, friendly, perfect weather all year, etc.

If the cost is really high, why not rent for half the time, and forget the rest? After all, it's a gift, right?
Old 20-06-2013, 07:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilmonday View Post
I agree with Cheechako on the Bahamas. We spent 4 months cruising the Exumas and Abacos and could have used more time. So much too see and you get a little bit of everything.

Good luck on your search.

Dave
The Bahamas are nice, but also very accessible if he ends up getting his own boat.
Old 20-06-2013, 09:20   #15

I chartered Tonga in the 90's. It was wonderful. You want to charter in Vavau. It's kind of like the San Juan Islands of the Pacific; probably 25 anchorages all within 20 miles of each other. There are cool water caves. The lobster burgers in Niafu are great and usually a pig roast going on about once a week. Some of the best baskets I ever got in my world travels were from there. OF course there is the famous under water cave, you have to locate a landmark, have someone stay on the boat (too deep) snorkel to shore and dive into a dark hole! just keep swimming under water until you see a glow. Then you arrive into an enclosed cave that is dimly lit and can get out of the water and sit on the bank. As the sea surges the water goes up and down in the cave and fog forms and disappears before your eyes. Very friendly place in the 90's. From the west coast it's an overnight in Honalulu, then Samoa and then Tonga by light plane the next day.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote