Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 10:19   #1

Needed: Affordable used Cat in the Philippines

Hi folks,

Retirement is 1 1/2 away and I am looking for a 30-40 ft cat. in or near the Philippines. I have viewed the websites for Boatshop near Cebu and some threads about Nigel Roberts boats near Dumigetti. First, I cannot afford a new boat and am concerned about the value and staminia of the plywood boats built by Nigel. I found an ad for an Apache 41 in Palau, but so far my attempts to contact the owner have failed.

I am inviting anyone with advice or comments.
seiko9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 23:54   #2

Boat: looking
Re: Needed: Affordable used Cat in the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiko9 View Post
Hi folks,

Retirement is 1 1/2 away and I am looking for a 30-40 ft cat. in or near the Philippines. I have viewed the websites for Boatshop near Cebu and some threads about Nigel Roberts boats near Dumigetti. First, I cannot afford a new boat and am concerned about the value and staminia of the plywood boats built by Nigel. I found an ad for an Apache 41 in Palau, but so far my attempts to contact the owner have failed.

I am inviting anyone with advice or comments.
Welcome to CF Forums! This member is currently having a boat finished by Nigel Roberts, so he may be able to give you his perspective:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Bruce626

Although things have changed since I was last living there, I would imagine that it would be tough to find a used one there. I think that John, aka "imagine2frolic", is planning to sell his cat in the near future. Maybe you could talk him into selling it to you when he's in Hawaii. I'm bringing a Cal 2-30 but, obviously, it would be an advantage to have a cat there.

Because of the many recent discussions to do with boats in The Philippines, I just started a social group for it, here: Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Boats & Sailing in The Philippines

I don't think that you should be worried about the "toughness" or resale value of Nigel's boats. He's been building & sailing for decades, nothing fly-by-night about him. As well, as you know, a lot of people are retiring in The RP these days & many will want something more substantial than a banka.

Best of luck in your search &, again, welcome!
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:03   #3

Hi, and thanks for the reply. The wife and I plan to visit the PI in late August/early July this year. during that time I will get over to Nigel's yard to visit and see his operation. So far I have spent hours combing the internet trying to find photos of one of his boats during build, but all I can find is the launching. To your knowledge are the boats he builds suitable of ocean cruising or just inter-island trips?

I will check out you the forum for boats and sailing in the Philippines.

Once again, nice to meet you.

Seiko9
seiko9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:26   #4

Boat: looking

My understanding is that they are "go anywhere" boats. He sailed one of them from Aus to The Philippines, I think. A mutual friend is a naval architect & spoke highly of Nigel when I brought up his name. From what I remember, Nigel is a New Zealander who spent many years working for an Aussie multi-hull builder, & racing in Australia. There is also a guy building Wharram cats in The P.I., you can track him down on the Wharram site. I'll be developing a small boatyard when I return, but will be specializing in metal boats, mostly my own designs.

In comparison with 'glass, Cold-molded construction results in a very strong, yet light, boat. Still, cats aren't cheap, as you know, because of the amount of material & associated products required.
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines