Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 08:44   #1

need advice on which cat to buy

I have decided 2 buy one of two cats, both are in very good shape and in the same price range. They both have good electronics,sails rigging etc. One is the fountaine pajot antiqua 37 and the other is pdq 36 with outboards. Both are in the mid 90 ties.Any help. Most of my sailing will be in the Caribbean.
cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: need advice on which cat to buy

PDQ, excellent boat
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:50   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Pdq,, With outboard there is less mechanical headaches, less drag, and the pdq has transom extensions available for a decent $
Check the mid stay for bulkhead rot, some have dismasted because of this, also bridgedeck core is wood, and 2 I know of have had major core issues here.
Bigger berths, and head,

Antigua may sail or handle better, (wider beam?)
Larger co kit, easier to traverse foredecks,
the Antigua is a better looking Cat,
Better load carrying capacity
Tough call
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:56   #4

Either would be OK for the Caribbean. What it may come down to is comfort on the water at anchor more than anything else, so, that is how nice are the sleeping arrangements, bathrooms and galley. Outboards deliver very low amps for battery charging, so if there is no generator or decent solar array then I would opt for the diesel boat. Larger water tanks would be preferable unless you have a water maker.
Then there is refrigeration systems to be powered as well. It is possible to get by without these little luxuries but not for me or my better half. Yes outboards are easy to service and parts for them in the islands may be easier to come by, presuming they are Yamahas. Outboards will struggle to push you against any bad weather as they can cavitate in short sharp waves and whilst they may be the lower geared ones they just don't have the grunt of a diesel. On the other hand you have the diesels inside the cabin area and so odors can creep in unless well sealed and can be most unpleasant. Also lifting bedding etc to get at them is tedious. Outboards however use gasoline and to store that in large quantities is a safety issue that needs addressing more so than diesel. There are other posts on this forum debating the merits of outboard vs diesel.

We owned a similar style boat to the PDQ for over 10 years and it was a great weekender or for say a month at a time. We also chartered a Fountaine Pajot Tobago 35 and whilst similar in size the FP was a more comfortable boat albeit a bit slower and did not point as well.

I would get them surveyed and possibly invest in a non invasive moisture meter to run over the boats. Noted in a previous post is the fore stay attachment area, Other areas that get rot are around hatches and windows, anywhere that fittings are attached and sealed with silicone such as winch bases, stanchions, chain plates etc.The Tobago had soft patches in the fibreglass deck which seemed to have de-laminated from the core.

Any way the view of the sunset will be the same from either - so good luck.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:43   #5

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Just dont buy a CAT. In big seas there is danger. Just to island hop long as danger is low
They can be quite comfortable
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:50   #6

There is an active PDQ user group on Facebook. Post how you intend to use the boat and I'm sure you'll get plenty of experienced feedback.
JSLExplores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:05   #7

Boat: Antares 44i

We crossed the Atlantic this past summer on the PDQ's big brother, the Antares 44i. Lived on it for 11 months, in Florida and the Med.

Quite simply, the best most seaworthy vessel I have ever sailed on. I'd get a really good survey of any boat that age. But the designer and factory of the PDQ made one hell of a boat. MC
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:14   #8

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

We have a PDQ36 with out boards which I purchased new in 03. The inner forstay was dropped for a 3wire rig early on so that may not be an issue ,also the boats change quite quickly to foam core . The only spot that balsa was used at the end was in the front of the bridge deck . There are no fittings there so it should be fine . The stanchions are bolted through the deck joint lip where there is no coring .
I love the out boards their location means that that cavitation is almost non existent despite what othe posters say . I sail Delphine on the Great Lakes where short sharp chop is our regular sea state .
The boats where originally designed for out boards and that is still the best sailing model, the weight and drag increases make a huge difference .

Have fun
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 13:48   #9

Boat: PDQ 36

Admiralslater, we have a PDQ 36, my wife picked it and we love it. I've thought of changing to a 3 wire standing rigging - like you mention. Do you have pix or info? I'd like to rig the jib as self tending. Perhaps on the PDQ forum?
Thanks!
Bruce
PDQ 36, "Willa"
BruceOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 14:11   #10

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
Just dont buy a CAT. In big seas there is danger. Just to island hop long as danger is low
Well that didn’t make a whole lot of sense.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 14:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
Utter rubbish
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 14:55   #12

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOz View Post
Admiralslater, we have a PDQ 36, my wife picked it and we love it. I've thought of changing to a 3 wire standing rigging - like you mention. Do you have pix or info? I'd like to rig the jib as self tending. Perhaps on the PDQ forum?
Thanks!
Bruce
PDQ 36, "Willa"
I hope this works , please note that substantial reinforcement of hulls was done . And that the mast has jumpers going forward
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35D1C11A-CA98-442C-9BFE-85E184DAB165.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	160088  
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 16:06   #13

Any cat under 40ft in length has a danger of pitch polling ( flipping ) when surfing down a wave in big seas ! Keep this in mind when planning a passage .
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 16:10   #14

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Buy 2 dogs instead. Cat litter boxes stink especially on a long passage
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 16:21   #15

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy davy View Post
Any cat under 40ft in length has a danger of pitch polling ( flipping ) when surfing down a wave in big seas ! Keep this in mind when planning a passage .
Really??, you have substantiating data to back this or is just a bunch of opinionated hot air?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote